Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 19 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Would it not be easy for all drivers who receive a ticket to look at the history of passengers they've picked up, and look for commonality to determine who the "undercover op" was? Then blacklist them, and problem solved.

Seriously though, what blows me away is that the mayor and everyone keep citing these "insurance reasons" etc for why it's illegal instead of fixing the root of the problem which is the crooked taxi mafia and lack of decent public transportation.

Soon enough however, people will vote with their wallets and they will have no choice.

My Ride
    NC1

Wtf that's extreme. Sting operations. Holy shit. I am disappointed. I will use both taxi and uber services, whatever is convenient. It's simply offering the public another alternative.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    TECHART & Misha Design

User's already announced they'll be paying for any fines incurred to their drivers. If i was a driver, i wouldn't be to worried right now, they've done this in other new markets and once the "sting" is over things seem to settle down and Uber's on its way.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by Paul
    User's already announced they'll be paying for any fines incurred to their drivers. If i was a driver, i wouldn't be to worried right now, they've done this in other new markets and once the "sting" is over things seem to settle down and Uber's on its way.
    I would be, even if uber covers the fine, I would still need to take time off my real job to go to court and fight it before uber would pay it. I doubt they'll just cut a cheque without fighting it.

It's like they're insurance policy, it will cover the rider's injuries ... if the drivers insurance won't. You still need to go through your insurance first.

Uber has a bigger slush fund for lawyers than the city of Calgary has in their entire yearly budget. Might be a decent play on entrapment by the city?

"In criminal law, entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit. It is a conduct that is generally discouraged and thus, in many jurisdictions, it's a possible defence against criminal liability."

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    Uber has a bigger slush fund for lawyers than the city of Calgary has in their entire yearly budget. Might be a decent play on entrapment by the city?

"In criminal law, entrapment is a practice whereby a law enforcement agent induces a person to commit a criminal offense that the person would have otherwise been unlikely to commit. It is a conduct that is generally discouraged and thus, in many jurisdictions, it's a possible defence against criminal liability."
    The Uber driver would not have been drawn into the criminal action had the city employee not requested the driver do so. The defence works with hookers. Driver asks city employee (AKA John) if he is on a sting operation? Same, same?

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

The Uber driver would not have been drawn into the criminal action had the city employee not requested the driver do so. The defence works with hookers. Driver asks city employee (AKA John) if he is on a sting operation? Same, same?

Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Lease

Forgot to log off spoof account?

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Originally posted by TomcoPDR
    If yer talking to me...NO. The fucking 1998 software running this site did that.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

It isn't just a fine though, it is a licence suspension

"licence suspensions handed out to six Uber drivers caught in a sting operation"
    Edmonton tossed those suspensions though.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB

Edmonton tossed those suspensions though.
    How could the city of Edmonton toss those suspensions? Aren't driver licence suspensions done under provincial jurisdiction meaning the provincial crown would have the authority to drop any such charges? Can't see how the city of Edmonton would have a say in this - could be that I'm missing something here? Not trying to create an argument here, just don't understand how the city of Edmonton could've had such charges tossed.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by speedog

How could the city of Edmonton toss those suspensions? Aren't driver licence suspensions done under provincial jurisdiction meaning the provincial crown would have the authority to drop any such charges? Can't see how the city of Edmonton would have a say in this - could be that I'm missing something here? Not trying to create an argument here, just don't understand how the city of Edmonton could've had such charges tossed.
    My bad for messing up the circumstances. It was a few taxi drivers who had their taxi licenses suspended for driving for Uber. The city reversed the taxi licenses suspensions.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Fit Dugan Signature (2016)

If yer talking to me...NO. The fucking 1998 software running this site did that.
    Riiiiight, that's why you made a statement and then rebutted it in a reply as the next post without switching accounts..... the software made you!
    Originally posted by SJW
    Once again another useless post by JRSCOOLDUDE.
    Originally posted by snowcat
    Don't let the e-thugs and faggots get to you when they quote your posts and write stupid shit.
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    I say stupid shit all the time.
    ^^ Fact Checked

Another twist (in Ontario for now) - Insurer cancelling policies of UberX drivers.

So if your insurance policy is cancelled/voided at one insurer, would the other insurers be able to find out about that? Would a cancelled/voided policy at one insurer affect your ability to get insurance elsewhere?

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Another twist (in Ontario for now) -

So if your insurance policy is cancelled/voided at one insurer, would the other insurers be able to find out about that? Would a cancelled/voided policy at one insurer affect your ability to get insurance elsewhere?
    AFAIK - you cant be DENIED coverage in AB but the premiums you may have to pay will be insane.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 01:46 PM.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Another twist (in Ontario for now) - Insurer cancelling policies of UberX drivers.

Basically yes. Once you've been cancelled for misrepresentation it can make things difficult to get coverage again at normal prices.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Masked, I imagine this would be a "last resort" kind of avenue, but have you heard of any insurers in Canada charging folks with insurance fraud if they try to make the "it's just me giving my buddy a ride" claim?

I really hope they can get the regulatory and insurance framework tidied up soon, I can see this service being really successful.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Page 19 of 69 FirstFirst ... 9 18 19 20 29 ... LastLast