Quantcast
Uber in Calgary Thread - Page 35 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Uber in Calgary Thread

My Ride
    Pushbroom

Originally posted by Mibz
    Way to drum up public support, fuckin' goofs.
    Nobody ever accused taxi drivers of being smart...

Uber Calgary debate was today. Basically said they are packing their bags.

Good Job Nenshi...

A company founded by a Calgarian and adopted by the rest of the world can't even operate in Calgary lol. City Council saying Calgary are not sheep and are leaders... facepalm

Leaders by not leading, Nenshi logic 101
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

Originally posted by jwslam
    "vehicle inspections twice per year"
    Because all cabs do this
    They are supposed to be inspected twice a year as well.

Originally posted by Maxx Mazda
    The thing that blows my mind is the taxi mafia has been saying they want uber to "play by the same rules as they do". If they're gonna be that restrictive, make them that way for the paki taxis too!
    After looking up taxi drivers fees and inspections it seems similar.

You can see the fee details here:

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...-and-Fees.aspx

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    What a bunch of horse shit... If a car is safe enough to be on the road and insured, it is safe enough to use for Uber. 500$ in admin fees and bull shit additional background checks just for Calgary is unbelievable.

I refuse to take cabs here, it was nice to finally have an alternative. Fuck you Nenshi and your gang of douches for taking that away from us.

Next election, I am just voting for whomever says they will let Uber operate like they do in every other city.
    Seems comparable to me after some quick research. I wonder if Uber just went ahead with this proposed structure if any drivers would still sign up.

Originally posted by drtoohotty1
    Anyone know exactly what the process of cab inspections is and how often they are?
    Page 41 says twice a year:
    https://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerk...qXzHje-3Zy1zdw

Originally posted by msommers
    What fees exactly is each cab driver responsible for per year? Are yearly inspections required? How much is their insurance per year?

I'm not defending the mafia, seems obvious what's happening. But am curious what cabs costs are.
    Curious about the insurance cost as well. I also wonder does each driver carry insurance or does it follow the car/plate since most are leased/rented to drivers.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

The problem is a lot of these taxi's like have a 'go to' shop that basically just signs off on them for that company. Half the taxi's I've ever in have squealing breaks and blown shocks it seems and aren't in very good shape at all.

Originally posted by pheoxs
    The problem is a lot of these taxi's like have a 'go to' shop that basically just signs off on them for that company. Half the taxi's I've ever in have squealing breaks and blown shocks it seems and aren't in very good shape at all.
    I could see that being true. Plenty of shops out there that will do this for anyone.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

^^Absolutely.

OOP inspections come to mind. I bet there a lot of threads on Beyond about finding a guy who will just sign their papers so they can import a piece of shit RHD.

Council's decisions were really short-sighted, very disappointed to hear this.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Council doesn't understand (or just refusing to acknowledge) that Uber are mostly part time drivers and imposing the same requirements as full time cabs is simply a way to force Uber out of the picture.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 08-15-2019 at 03:25 PM.

My Ride
    bus

Great, looking forward to getting back into cabs that stink like piss and bad body odor where the driver barely understands English. FFS

Originally posted by rage2
    Council doesn't understand (or just refusing to acknowledge) that Uber are mostly part time drivers and imposing the same requirements as full time cabs is simply a way to force Uber out of the picture.
    I think they fully understood what they were doing. This outcome was inevitable, they wanted it to look like they tried to work with Uber but the truth is they had no intention of ever doing it. From day one this framework was going to be designed to stop Uber in this city.
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

So shitty and sad, but utterly true.
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by rx7_turbo2

I think they fully understood what they were doing. This outcome was inevitable, they wanted it to look like they tried to work with Uber but the truth is they had no intention of ever doing it. From day one this framework was going to be designed to stop Uber in this city.

Originally posted by msommers
    So shitty and sad, but utterly true.

I just liked the idea of having alternatives. I haven't had as notable problems with cabs as everyone else, but I've used both taxis and uber, and I like both services. Both had pros and cons.

If they're going to prevent Uber from operating in Calgary, then I'd at least like to see an increase in availability. Last weekend, I was heading out and Car2Go was giving me a little bit of technical difficulty, so I kept an eye out for a cab while I was on the phone with Car2Go for 10 minutes. I didn't see a single cab downtown for that 10 minutes. Presumably because of Winefest.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Uber is simply gypsy cabs. Nobody demands gypsy cabs. It's just that these gypsy cabs have an app. That works quite well. The demand, at the core, is the convenience of the app. Minus the app uber is simply gypsy cabs. The city et all involved are arguing for the legality of gypsy cabs when the app is the real reason people want uber.

Entire framework of the argument needs to change to get to the meat of the issue.

My Ride
    2008 Nissan Titan

Half the price of a non "gypsy cab(whatever that means)" is a big reason too. Big than the app in my case of reasoning.
    Last edited by lil*tymer; 02-23-2016 at 02:00 AM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by lil*tymer
    Half the price of a non "gypsy cab(whatever that Fucking means)" is a big reason too. Big than the app in my case of reasoning.
    I don't think the price really has that much to do with it. If our cabs were more convenient, had better apps, came when you booked one, were decent cars in decent shape that didn't smell bad, have mechanical issues and a driver that doesn't know the language/city, the price would be a lot more justified with cabs. Instead you get a shit experience for a bunch of money.

My Ride
    Honda Accord

Not a fan of how the city handled this whole thing but I don't get why everyone is saying the requirements are absurd?

- register with the city
    - get a background check
    - get your car inspected at least once a year

Am I missing something?
    Go Flames!

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by lil*tymer
    Half the price of a non "gypsy cab(whatever that means)" is a big reason too. Big than the app in my case of reasoning.
    gypsy cabs

They have been around forever. Always cheaper. A gypsy cab is basically an unlicensed cab. Nobody demanded them, most agreed they should be illegal...untill...they got an app. Now all the reasons society has generally agreed they should be illegal are out the window because of the app. Remove the app and they are the same old gypsy cabs nobody had an issue with being illegal before. I'm not pro or against, just think it's funny how an app can change everyone's perception of safety et all.

Originally posted by frizzlefry

gypsy cabs

They have been around forever. Always cheaper. A gypsy cab is basically an unlicensed cab. Nobody demanded them, most agreed they should be illegal...untill...they got an app. Now all the reasons society has generally agreed they should be illegal are out the window because of the app. Remove the app and they are the same old gypsy cabs nobody had an issue with being illegal before. I'm not pro or against, just think it's funny how an app can change everyone's perception of safety et all.
    Not quite the same. There are still checks and balances with Uber. It's not just random people who can drive. You have to be approved to do so and you only can remain a driver with a strong feedback rating. It has it's filters that do it's best to ensure you get a good service. Not quite a gypsy cab

My Ride
    S14|TB1

If the capital of this province could dish out fair standards and rules to cover uber but we can't, clearly some members on city council have a hidden agenda imo:

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Originally posted by pheoxs
    The one that most amuses me is the inspection row, as I said before and as most people have personally experienced, half the cabs you've ridden in in this city definitely have some obvious audible suspension problem going on, something that would no way in hell pass a salvage inspection or OOP after a road test unless you know you went to a specific shop that said "hey how about that rubber stamp fix"... Yet we sit in the back of these taxis as passengers everyday.

Page 35 of 69 FirstFirst ... 25 34 35 36 45 ... LastLast