Quantcast
iBooks on Nexus 7 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: iBooks on Nexus 7

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Default iBooks on Nexus 7

I'm wondering if there's any way to transfer my iBooks to a Nexus 7 tablet.

In the market for a new tablet. I'm currently using an iPad 2 and like the size of the iPad Mini 2, thinking of picking it up when it's released. At the same time the Nexus 7 has caught my eye and is at a wicked price point.

My only issue is transferring my iBooks (I have a ton) and I was wondering if there's a way to do this. I highly doubt it but thought I would ask just in case anyone knew how to do it.

Thanks.

My Ride
    Grimace

I do not think it would work as there is no app on android for ibooks and I am assuming apple has them in some special format. There are plenty of readers though if you were to procure books in mobi, pdf, epub etc.
    I have some through google play books, that is the google version but you would have to rebuy which would not be good.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by schocker
    I do not think it would work as there is no app on android for ibooks and I am assuming apple has them in some special format. There are plenty of readers though if you were to procure books in mobi, pdf, epub etc.
    I have some through google play books, that is the google version but you would have to rebuy which would not be good.
    That's what I figured and that's what I'm trying to avoid. I have almost 30 books in iBooks that I've bought and like the idea of a 7" tablet since it's a better size.

Will probably just buy the Mini 2 and keep it simple.

My Ride
    Grimace

Ya, might as well. Not great to switch ecosystems if you have a bunch invested already. If you were to switch to like kobo it would work on both but wouldn't be as nice as ibooks.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

This is a perfect example of how Apple got people by the balls, make things proprietary and they can't switch easily, its really a shame.

Anyways, you could convert your ibooks to epub and use that on any device, but it will take a little bit of work.

You can use the free online converters here to do some of this work. Google online, there are methods for this.

http://www.online-convert.com/

Alternatively, start buying your books from Amazon or Kobo. I know Amazon Kindle app is available for every platform under the sun (including apple) and you can read and sync your books between all of them.

At some point, you will either repurchase the ibooks from amazon, or decide that they aren't worth it to hold on to and give up on them (or convert them now and stop buying new ones..)
    Last edited by eblend; 11-03-2013 at 03:38 PM.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by eblend
    This is a perfect example of how Apple got people by the balls, make things proprietary and they can't switch easily, its really a shame.

Anyways, you could convert your ibooks to epub and use that on any device, but it will take a little bit of work.

You can use the free online converters here to do some of this work. Google online, there are methods for this.

http://www.online-convert.com/

Alternatively, start buying your books from Amazon or Kobo. I know Amazon Kindle app is available for every platform under the sun (including apple) and you can read and sync your books between all of them.

At some point, you will either repurchase the ibooks from amazon, or decide that they aren't worth it to hold on to and give up on them (or convert them now and stop buying new ones..)
    I have the Kindle app on my current iPad and I'm doing the math now to see if it's worth it to just buy the Nexus 7 and re-download all the books I've purchased on my iPad. It could actually work out cheaper to do that than buying the new Mini 2 when it comes out.

Thanks for the suggestion about converting them to the epub format. I'll look a little more into that.