Quantcast
Korea - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Korea

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Default Korea

Anyone been?

A friend and I are going Feb 4-13 since we both found wicked flight deals. Plan was to spend the entire time in Seoul but I've been told that's too long to spend in Seoul.

If anyone has been I'm curious to know if you have suggestions on what to do, where to go, what to see, where to stay....etc.

Thanks!

I went last year. Flights are hella cheap right now - like 1/2 price of what I paid. Seoul is massive so I would just stay there. There is tons of shit to do everywhere. I just ate good food all day and pigged out. Booze is pretty cheap too. Take cabs or train.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

I would say definitely too long for Seoul...there isn't really much to do there...unless you just want to eat and drink all the time.

Go to the DMZ, that was the highlight of my Korea trip

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Thanks for the suggestion. Any particular neighborhoods that are better than others to stay in?

DMZ, walk around myong dong (eat myong dong gyo za), go gang nam station area, garosu road (fashion central/rich neighborhood kinda thing), itaewon for partying for foreigners (there's a canadian pub there), check out hong dae/shin chon (university areas, they're jammed with people and vendors), go dong dae moon at night 12am-6am for some clothes shopping, insadong for some traditional experience, go to the folk village by jongro, go to the saejong centre in jongro as well. There are lots of folk villages and stuff in kwangju province and junju province as well. Kwangju and junju have awesome food btw, EAch province has a slightly different style of food although they may appear/taste the same. Go to busan city for hae woon dae for some sashimi and beach viewing. Eui Jung bu for some military style ramen soup (this food was developed during the korean war or something by combining spam, sausage, ramen noodles and kimchi etc). Go INcheon China town for good Korean style chinese food. Go to the Inchon beach for some good firewood cooked prawns, mussels etc and finish off with kalgooksoo (noodle soup). If you can figure out a way to get in, go in the american military base. It's pretty interesting actually. Have some wood grilled korean bbq as well. Also have wood grilled lamb skewers in jongro they're hella good. The food itself would keep you really busy if you like having good food. Soo many good restaurants and special foods all over Korea. Try to even find some North Korean restaurants, there are a few famous authentic north korean restaurants as well. One of them is called PYong ga Oak which I believe has like 3 chains in seoul area. Try to find a hostel or a love motel in gangnam or myong dong/jongro area cause these places are pretty much the centre of seoul city. I would suggest finding a hostel though. KTX to busan from seoul is 2 and a half hours so if you have time, go to busan. I'm Korean btw and lived there half of my life + go there every year so if you have questions just ask.

My Ride
    2002 Subaru Impreza WRX

Originally posted by genesis0403
    DMZ, walk around myong dong (eat myong dong gyo za), go gang nam station area, garosu road (fashion central/rich neighborhood kinda thing), itaewon for partying for foreigners (there's a canadian pub there), check out hong dae/shin chon (university areas, they're jammed with people and vendors), go dong dae moon at night 12am-6am for some clothes shopping, insadong for some traditional experience, go to the folk village by jongro, go to the saejong centre in jongro as well. There are lots of folk villages and stuff in kwangju province and junju province as well. Kwangju and junju have awesome food btw, EAch province has a slightly different style of food although they may appear/taste the same. Go to busan city for hae woon dae for some sashimi and beach viewing. Eui Jung bu for some military style ramen soup (this food was developed during the korean war or something by combining spam, sausage, ramen noodles and kimchi etc). Go INcheon China town for good Korean style chinese food. Go to the Inchon beach for some good firewood cooked prawns, mussels etc and finish off with kalgooksoo (noodle soup). If you can figure out a way to get in, go in the american military base. It's pretty interesting actually. Have some wood grilled korean bbq as well. Also have wood grilled lamb skewers in jongro they're hella good. The food itself would keep you really busy if you like having good food. Soo many good restaurants and special foods all over Korea. Try to even find some North Korean restaurants, there are a few famous authentic north korean restaurants as well. One of them is called PYong ga Oak which I believe has like 3 chains in seoul area. Try to find a hostel or a love motel in gangnam or myong dong/jongro area cause these places are pretty much the centre of seoul city. I would suggest finding a hostel though. KTX to busan from seoul is 2 and a half hours so if you have time, go to busan. I'm Korean btw and lived there half of my life + go there every year so if you have questions just ask.
    Awesome! Thanks for the tips!

My Ride
    Has 5 wheels.

Originally posted by genesis0403
    wow thats an awesome list. I lived in seoul for 3 months last year and loved it. A lot of the things I would suggest, a lot I had never hear of.

There is a big rock brewery pub (korean beer sucks!) in Gangnam (maybe a 5 min walk from Gangnam station. The tae kwon do world headquarters is close to that as well. I lived right a few blocks from ritz carlton.

Must go to a jimjilbang, there is one near express bus terminal that was awesome.

Namsan is beautiful (its the mountain with seoul tower on). I walked up it 3 or 4 times. Several mountains within the city that you can walk up if thats what you are into. Although I was there in october so weather was much more pleasant.

My fav fast food there is bibigo. Its a chain that does bibimbap (hot stone rice bowl). But korean bbq is everywhere for cheap.

Acquire a taste for Soju (korean equivalent of sake for dirt cheap). Every restaurant buy an extra bottle or two and go to randoms pouring it and saying one shot. You will instantly find people that speak english or are drunk enough to try.

I also took the train to gimcheon and volunteered at a orphanage, probably one of the highlights of my trip.

Oh and if you can, a K pop concert.

Originally posted by wintonyk

There is a big rock brewery pub (korean beer sucks!) in Gangnam (maybe a 5 min walk from Gangnam station. The tae kwon do world headquarters is close to that as well. I lived right a few blocks from ritz carlton.
    Mix it with soju, problem solved. i don't think any of my friends drink beers without mixing it.