Quantcast
Resume preparation consulting - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Resume preparation consulting

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Default Resume preparation consulting

Has anyone used a service in calgary that specializes in resume preparation?

I found a company, career impressions and although seem impressive, their prices are steep. 700 and up.

Of course there are 50$ kijiji ads too.

Any direction is appreciated. Position is for front line management in customer service.

Over and out.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My friend graduated recently and was having issues getting interviews with no work experience so he did what your doing right now. He ended up going with an online service called Target Resume. He said it cost around $200 and since he got it done up hes been getting interviews, still jumping through hoops and doing quite a few interviews but at least hes getting the chance now. Hope that helps

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i dont really get why people need this? if you are lacking in anything thats what your cover letter is for, explain why you are awesome there?

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Thanks dudes.

It wasn't for me but similar situation. Interviews weren't being offered.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

If he has been to any sort of post-secondary schooling, often career counsellors there will help with resume prep- Even if you're an alumni member.

My Ride
    firebird

^ This is true, but for targeted industries anywhere past the first few years after undergrad they could not be more clueless. They know how to get into the entry level positions but I do not feel they are really in tune with anything beyond that. I would think you get what you pay for in life and this is no exception, and probably money well spent if you find the right one.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

So, has anyone actually used a service like this for a "professional" job and been pleased with the results?

I'm in the process of updating my resume, and there are a lot of options for how you present your skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Honestly my opinion is that these services are a waste of time and money for three reasons;

The first is that MS Office has at least 20 templates for resumes that virtually everybody uses and employers expect to see. Also if you Google resume samples you can see how to best present your qualifications.

The second is a meticulously prepared resume reeks of desperation

The third is that adding imperfections to a resume reminds the person reading it that you don't specialize in writing resumes, rather you specialize in the job you are applying for. (If you are applying for a resume writing job, then disregard this point)

I've never had a problem getting hired for something using online templates; if you put your qualifications in point form right at the start of your CV, the interviewer will be able to make a decision on the spot.
    ^^^Probably some of the worst advice I have ever read. I mean, I'm actually amazed someone would post something this absolutely retarded... Reeks of desperation?? Add in imperfections!??!

Prepare a professional cover letter and resume, take the time to make sure it DOES NOT have spelling mistakes and isn't just some point form piece of crap.

If you honestly think any person doing any sort of hiring is going to look at your professional application package and say to themselves, "This fucking loser actually put effort into applying for this job, NO THANKS!" You're a moron.

My Ride
    12 camaro ss ,91 aristo , 12 ram

Originally posted by Tram Common

^^^Probably some of the worst advice I have ever read. I mean, I'm actually amazed someone would post something this absolutely retarded... Reeks of desperation?? Add in imperfections!??!

Prepare a professional cover letter and resume, take the time to make sure it DOES NOT have spelling mistakes and isn't just some point form piece of crap.

If you honestly think any person doing any sort of hiring is going to look at your professional application package and say to themselves, "This fucking loser actually put effort into applying for this job, NO THANKS!" You're a moron.
    This!

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:09 PM.