Quantcast
Have any of you installed XBMC on an Android TV stick/box? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Have any of you installed XBMC on an Android TV stick/box?

My Ride
    93' civic, honda for lyfe!!

Default Have any of you installed XBMC on an Android TV stick/box?

Hey guys,

I'm basically looking for an android tv box/stick that I can use XBMC with, and play netflix and hulu as well.

Kinda like apple tv; I know apple tv 2 you can play netflix app AND have xbmc access as well. Unfortunately apple tv 3 has no jailbreak.

So i was considering getting an android box like this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48611

Is there anyway to install XBMC on this and have netflix access?

Have you tried this?

There's people on kijiji selling android boxes (250$+) but I dont want to pay that much and rather figure out how to do it myself.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    Originally posted by 89s1
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

I usually find with things like this your pretty limited in case you ever wanted to upgrade.

An inexpensive htpc you build yourself will be far better and give you better options.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

DO NOT get a Minix Android stick. They suck and cannot stream 1080p, even if they say they can.

Bought two and the wireless was flakey.

For approx 100$ buy a Roku or an Ouya which both have native Netflix apps for them.

Roku and Ouya can both stream 1080p direct play.

BTW, ditch XBMC and get Plex. Plex was built off XBMC and is worlds better.

What are you using as your source for the XBMC client?
    Last edited by SmAcKpOo; 11-14-2013 at 02:11 PM.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo
    DO NOT get a Minix Android stick. They suck and cannot stream 1080p, even if they say they can.

Bought two and the wireless was flakey.

For approx 100$ buy a Roku or an Ouya which both have native Netflix apps for them.

Roku and Ouya can both stream 1080p direct play.

BTW, ditch XBMC and get Plex. Plex was built off XBMC and is worlds better.

What are you using as your source for the XBMC client?
    I have heard a few people say Plex is better than XBMC. I've been using XBMC for many years and never had an issue with it.

What makes Plex so better? And take into consideration I don't use Netflix or any of those other things.

My Ride

Interesting... I've never actually heard of those before!

I've got xbmc (or OpenELEC, to be more specific) running on a box like this one:
    http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40952

I had to buy the RAM separately, but setting it up is a breeze and it has great integration with other plug-ins like netflix/hulu/crackle/a bunch of other ones that I had never heard of before. Next step for me is to figure out the game emulator plugin...

Anywho, this looks really neat. Keep us updated if you get it all set up!

Edit:
    Plex looks interesting. From what I've read, it seems like if you have the client installed on one of your devices, and then you can stream your media from your home network as long as you have a connection. Is that correct?
    Last edited by klumsy_tumbler; 11-14-2013 at 02:36 PM.

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Originally posted by firebane

I have heard a few people say Plex is better than XBMC. I've been using XBMC for many years and never had an issue with it.

What makes Plex so better? And take into consideration I don't use Netflix or any of those other things.
    Centralized watched database that can be updated from any plex client (pause on my HTPC, resume on my phone).

Web interface accessible through my plex, does the flash encoding for you.

Built in native metadata scrapers.

Auto subtitle downloads

Cloud sync between devices

Many, many, many more.

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by SmAcKpOo

Centralized watched database that can be updated from any plex client (pause on my HTPC, resume on my phone).

Web interface accessible through my plex, does the flash encoding for you.

Built in native metadata scrapers.

Auto subtitle downloads

Cloud sync between devices

Many, many, many more.
    So if you have a massive media center then its good for that person.

For people who have a smaller and not so large collection XBMC to me still personally works better.

I use a raspberry pi with openelec(xbmc) and it works great! It actually streams more things then my atv2 because atv2 can't play back certain divx formats properly. It is definitely the cheapest option at $45 +$7(if you need WiFi) + SD card. It has hdmi-cec so you can use your TV remote to control it.

Also xbmc is better then plex because xbmc is capable of doing everything that was listed that plex can do AND you can use addons such as 1channel/icefilms/Canada on demand(for free TV shows/movies). For more on these addons research xbmchub fusion installer.

Also I will say that the pi is slightly slower then say a HTPC with xbmc but pi and xbmc developers have announced that they are working on that and will release an update soon that really smooths everything out. They have done this because pi is the leader in xbmc installs now. More then ATV now.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by firebane

Been a Plex whore ever since I got a Drobo.

Unfortunately Drobo has no power to transcode, so I installed Plex on 4 core VM.

I watch anything, anywhere there is a 1Mbps or better internet connection. Godsend when I was bumped on a flight @ YVR. Cross-platform, iOS/Android/Windows/MacOS.

The interface is awesome, especially for TV Shows.

My Ride

Yeah I use XBMC for the addons, like icefilms, and navi x

So thats why I'm interested in getting it on an android box, since ATV 3 can't be jailbroken.

Is it possible on an android box? Any tips on that?

Excluding pivos that is.
    I leave the safety off the gun stuffed in my belt. I'm not worried about shotting off one of my balls. I got a spare.

I don't have any info on android boxes because IMO there are no good ones. Out of curiosity, why not a raspberry pi? Because you want to use android apps as well?

My Ride

The main apps i'm interested in is netflix and hulu.

Raspberry Pi is an okay option but it's kinda slow. Also, it becomes and exclusive XBMC client and doesn't allow for netflix.

My friend has a raspberry pi with Openelec, so i've seen it/tried it.

Originally posted by captain134
    I don't have any info on android boxes because IMO there are no good ones. Out of curiosity, why not a raspberry pi? Because you want to use android apps as well?
    I have a mk808b and its shit for wireless...

Does it do 1080P? I donno as I use it for a 720P TV right now.

I think like anything, the codec is the most important part, and currently for XBMC, there isn't an official release that allows better use of the GPU(s) on these boxes.

I have used MX player and other things to play high-def movies/music without a hitch, as well I use UPnP to stream 16/24 bit FLAC, of which I have the android box connected to a USB tube DAC

The android interface isn't optimized for using a keyboard/mouse, BUT those gyro mice work decently enough... I side loaded HULU, I run Netflix, I stream from my NAS and FLAC via UPnP...
    HD on XBMC is choppy, but SD (DVD) streams are just fine (icefilms/1channel)

oh and I watch NHL gamecenter on it as well...

NHL gamecenter, if you setup your US unblock for somewhere in Europe, costs just $100

Then you can set it back to a "US" range, and I get all the games, every single one, US Netflix and HULU

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

I don't have one of these. Watched a review on youtube though. Seems pretty solid.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX40160
    Pivos
    XIOS DS Media Play! Android Media Player

Could always put openElec on a PC or USB stick if you have an old computer kicking around. Apps are available for remotes through networking, works pretty slick.

Default Re: Have any of you installed XBMC on an Android TV stick/box?

Originally posted by r0g3r
    Hey guys,

I'm basically looking for an android tv box/stick that I can use XBMC with, and play netflix and hulu as well.

Kinda like apple tv; I know apple tv 2 you can play netflix app AND have xbmc access as well. Unfortunately apple tv 3 has no jailbreak.

So i was considering getting an android box like this:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX48611

Is there anyway to install XBMC on this and have netflix access?

Have you tried this?

There's people on kijiji selling android boxes (250$+) but I dont want to pay that much and rather figure out how to do it myself.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
    I have a Minix Neo X7. I've only updated to the last stable Minix ROM. Netflix runs perfectly, but I've yet to install Hulu. There are free DNS apps available, too.

This weekend I will try out several of the development ROMs (XBMC included) found over at FreakTab to test out their capabilities.

So far it's a great device, especially for the ~$110 I paid. The stock remote is an exercise in frustration, so I run the rkremote app on my Nexus 7 and all is well.
    I'd vote for him. America may have a black guy, but we'd have captain fucking Kirk.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

after reading peoples reviews on memory express, seems my posting should be ignored. slow..