Quantcast
Canadians who are non-resident working overseas... Q about health + life insurance - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Canadians who are non-resident working overseas... Q about health + life insurance

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Default Canadians who are non-resident working overseas... Q about health + life insurance

For those folks who're working overseas and are now non-residents of Canada. Who are you going to for health and life insurance?

The company has me on BUPA Gold .... however some colleagues who are consultants have had nothing but problems with BUPA.

I'm looking to investigate some alternatives and to understand the cost of what it would be for the same type of coverage I'm used to back in Calgary before agreeing to sign on with the different division.

Ideas would be helpful.

Thanks!

My Ride
    13 Cayenne Turbo

If you aren't already a non-resident sign up for your life insurance before you leave with an independent company and you will be fully covered no matter what happens. Health insurance is a totally different ball park so I'm not sure how that works.

However, if you're already a non-resident then the life insurance part doesn't apply either.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

I did some work when I was in the US - when I went to DR - i just sent the claims to Manulife - being manulife they approved some not all.

Expat insurance... But I assume your company would provide you with insurance?
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    Boeing, Airbus

BUPA is what most guys out where I am use. Haven't heard of any issues.

I'm covered by ISOS while I'm at work and usually don't have anything when I travel.

My Ride
    '91 NA1 ADVAN'D

Apparently on BUPA, if you're injured/sick in the host country of work, once stabilized and if you get transferred back to your home country (as a non-resident), BUPA denies the claim as they call it a "pre-existing condition" even-though they do all the transfers. "Pre-existing conditions" are not subject to reimbursement with BUPA no matter the plan.

I've been trying to figure out what really is offered, but their explanation of coverage is horrible.

I was hoping to find something equal to what Great-West-Life was providing back in Calgary.

I have been on BUPA for the last 3 years. They have a Classic and Gold plan and I hear Gold is the standard plan for Western expats. I asked for their Worldwide plan which is slight different and a bit more expensive. The worldwide plan has a few different options - we have all the options except for coverage in US. I am fully covered in every country of the world except for US.

I find BUPA is awesome! I have more coverage than I had in Canada and their pay/claim system through their members world (website) is straight forward and fast. They have been very lenient with the coverage. Wife had a baby out here and they usually just say something like - your pre-natal package is worth 3500USD, you can do whatever tests/appointments you want, as long as you don't go over 3500USD. Never had them deny a claim.

For me and my wife, we pay about 12k USD per year. My company reimburses me for this. Maybe see if you can lookup their worldwide plan online and as your company to offer all the options under worldwide coverage.

Almost every hospital or clinic I have been to say that BUPA is one of the better companies.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.