Quantcast
Home builder vs nenshi goes another round - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9

Thread: Home builder vs nenshi goes another round

Anybody have an actual legal explanation on how this is allowed? This seems totally nuts.
    Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Before I start pwning all the members with my findings.
    Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Originally posted by Toma
    rx7_turbfoags best friend
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

It appears that the City of Calgary is allowed to issue tax receipts (registered with the CRA).

So it might be that Nenshi's fundraiser collects the funds and then “donates” them to the city. The city then issues a tax receipt in the name of the “donor” that the fundraiser people provide.

It's greasy and I'm sure Nenshi had some part in arranging it, but it is probably allowed by the letter of the policy in place.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Plus, is it true you can feed a pig elephant dong and it will still grow and build meat?
    Toma the homophobe?

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by rage2
    bump.

So Nenshi's fundraiser is currently only at $207k. They're surprised at how difficult it is to hit the $300k mark, thought it would be a walk in the park. What's REALLY concerning is that the fundraiser isn't really independent of the city, the city is dishing out tax receipts for this. How is that even right?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...bill-1.4109675

That's no different than say if I owed CRA $300k, I start a fundraiser for people to help me pay off my tax debt, and asking the government to issue tax receipts because that money is going towards taxes and thus government programs. What a load of shit.
    Wow that is greasy..
    What I found funny, is that on QR recently, Nenshi in a clouded way was still trying to defend what he said about Wenzel ....So much for his apology on the matter, it was pretty hollow.
    Too loud for Aspen

So you're all voting for Chabot?

Of note, he did vote for the bike lane project along with Farrell and Woolley - a project that is a pet peeve of many a beyond member.

He was also one of the 2013 councillor candidates who was specifically named in the leaked email about builder's supporting certain candidates.

Now I am one of those undecided voters with respect to the mayor's seat but people need look at all facts.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Wrong thread speedog.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Wrong thread speedog.
    Yes and no.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Well to answer your question, no mayor in Calgary has ever lost a reelection and Nenshi surely won't be the first. So unless there's a strong candidate that's aligns with most of my views, I won't be voting. That being said, Nenshi is still being Nenshi, the point of this bump, and won't be getting a vote from me.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Ford F150

Well to answer your question, no mayor in Calgary has ever lost a reelection and Nenshi surely won't be the first. So unless there's a strong candidate that's aligns with most of my views, I won't be voting. That being said, Nenshi is still being Nenshi, the point of this bump, and won't be getting a vote from me.
    Rage4mayor
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

Originally posted by speedog
    Yes and no.
    Just "No". The other thread is a discussion on the Mayoral race, this one is about Nenshi's battle with Wenzel and the fallout.

I know you love to do the "It's all well and good to complain but what's the alternative" shtick which is cool in the other thread but it doesn't really apply here. Why not add your 2 cents to the actual discussion?

What's your take on The City handing out tax receipts to those who donate to Nenshi's cause?
    Toma the homophobe?

I did post in the 2017 election thread and as for tax receipts for people donating to Nenshi's cause, yeah, I have some concerns as I find odd that a corporation like the city of Calgary can issue tax receipts for donations - maybe this is something for profit corporations can do and some one was just keen enough to know this. I think it's bogus if this is true and I suspect that such a loophole has probably been taken advantage of by numerous people. Something is amiss here and I do not it's Nenshi's fault - hell, most of us should bea king charitable donations to our own corporations.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by FraserB
    It appears that the City of Calgary is allowed to issue tax receipts (registered with the CRA).

So it might be that Nenshi's fundraiser collects the funds and then “donates” them to the city. The city then issues a tax receipt in the name of the “donor” that the fundraiser people provide.

It's greasy and I'm sure Nenshi had some part in arranging it, but it is probably allowed by the letter of the policy in place.
    Wow... That's some underhanded sh*t going on.

My Ride
    Bicycle

So, the only important question is, should I submit my property tax bill to CRA to claim against my income?

I don't mind having a few thousands back.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Xtrema
    So, the only important question is, should I submit my property tax bill to CRA to claim against my income?

Word That would be pretty cool.

Originally posted by Xtrema

The difference being that this is a tax bill as opposed to a straight up donation that these people are doing - they weren't being billed for anything and in addition to that, your property tax bill would probably wouldn't be considered as a charitable tax receipt by the CRA..

By all means though, go ahead and do what you're proposing and let us know how it turns out.

My Ride
    Silverado

I have always believed that property tax should be tax exempt.

Anybody worried about the slippery slope this creates? City officials lobby for interest free loans to pay down debt and contributors to the debt fund receive tax incentives to contribute. This seems like a situation that could get abused fairly easily, fact is it's getting abused now by Nenshi. It highlights the fact The City should never have bailed his loud mouth out.

How does behaviour like this jive with the platform Nenshi ran on originally? He's basically bailed on everything else he stood for why should his integrity be any different
    Toma the homophobe?

In reality, it's not being abused by Nenshi but by people who wish to assist in paying down Nenshi's debt to the city. It is certainly an odd loophole and I wonder how many corporations other than the city of Calgary and certain people utilize this loophole.
    Will fuck off, again.

Well I did some snooping and TIL that you can indeed get a tax receipt for donations to a municipal, provincial or federal government body in Canada and this despite that the city of Calgary is a corporation. Kind of bullshit to me and more so in that Nenshi supporters will get tax receipts as opposed to giving the money to Nenshi to pay the city and realizing no benefit themselves. I wonder how long this loophole has been in place and how often it has been used in a similar manner - there is no doubt in my mind that this loophole had probably been used before but it just wasn't known publicly.
    Will fuck off, again.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 8 9