Quantcast
Civic Type-R Turbo Mega Thread - Page 30 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 30 of 73 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic Type-R Turbo Mega Thread

The CTR "paint job" at the car show looked very much like a wrap to me, but you couldn't get close enough to verify.

Originally posted by Disoblige
    Well, at least this would be one of the rare times that the production model looks like the "prototype", whether for better or worse.
    Its true. I'll never understand why auto makers bring these absurd "prototypes" that never in a million years would a production car look anything like. Waste of space at the show IMHO.

My Ride
    Das Fahrenheit

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    The CTR "paint job" at the car show looked very much like a wrap to me, but you couldn't get close enough to verify.
    Honda rep said it was a wrap, not an official paint colour/from factory.
    Originally posted by 89coupe
    I do get great service there, especially when I mention my name, haha.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Am I the only one that think it looks sweet? lol.

Engine bay is nice looking.... Nice slim design with fake carbon fiber and classic red cover.

Championship white is life.

Im excited for this car. Not buying one and I think my Golf R is a better car but this Type R is nothing to hate on. At least Honda actually made a performance car for once. Still behind the times, I admit. But it is what it is.

I don't mind the look, especially from certain angles, but it is definitely a little bit 'over the top'. No different than an STI or similar though really. Probably so fun to drive that you forget about the boy-racer looks pretty quick. I have a feeling they will have done some extremely impressive things despite it being FWD. Also if they are rating that motor the same way as the other Civics, it's significantly more powerful than the press materials suggest.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
    I don't mind the look, especially from certain angles, but it is definitely a little bit 'over the top'. No different than an STI or similar though really. Probably so fun to drive that you forget about the boy-racer looks pretty quick. I have a feeling they will have done some extremely impressive things despite it being FWD. Also if they are rating that motor the same way as the other Civics, it's significantly more powerful than the press materials suggest.
    Yeah, I agree. I like it but I don't love it. Everything is functional and unless it's x3 more msrp it's difficult to have everything in one package.

Speaking to the power level, the previous generation had 306bhp (Europe 98 Ron) and was trapping 105-106 in the quarter. That's hustling. This model should be good for another 1-2mph.

That's actually really impressive considering a mustang GT traps 110-112 and to put that into perspective, It'll likely be neck and neck at our altitude from a roll. That's retarded for a 42k fwd car.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    M3P

I actually quite like this iteration of the Type R. I just cant justify the cost. Would be nice as an AWD

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Still no news on the Si since Nov 2016, or did I miss it? I'm hoping it's around 240hp/210tq and ~$35K. Being toned down appearance-wise appeals to me a lot.

Originally posted by Swank
    Still no news on the Si since Nov 2016, or did I miss it? I'm hoping it's around 240hp/210tq and ~$35K. Being toned down appearance-wise appeals to me a lot.
    I'm hoping the same, then I'll swap my current hatch lease for that in ~2 years.

I was thinking the same as you - if I can get more performance and avoid the "Type R" look, that might be a good compromise.

I haven't seen a shred of news except for that it will use the 1.5T and availability this summer. I don't even know if it will be available in hatch form, since the press materials show a coupe. No hatch = no interest though for me.

The Civic Sport already makes around roughly 205 HP / 218 TQ if you believe the dyno numbers, and weighs under 3000 lbs, so the Si will probably be a pretty fun little car if it adds another 20% or so power to that.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-22-2017 at 11:09 AM.

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

I've only heard coupe and sedan for the Si, fortunately for me I'm a coupe man for life. Summer is in 3-6 months, I can't see them hitting that target unless again there are only like 2 per dealership that you had to pre-order at birth

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I imagine the Si will be build in North America and coupe/sedan only. Do any other markets outside of North America even get the Si? Wouldn't make sense to manufacture a North American only version overseas.

My Ride

Originally posted by heavyD
    I imagine the Si will be build in North America and coupe/sedan only. Do any other markets outside of North America even get the Si? Wouldn't make sense to manufacture a North American only version overseas.
    You're right. No plans for a hatchback.

All Si's are built in Alliston I think. Proudly Canadian produced!
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

My Ride
    a tank

how often does a car comes factory and it has enough aftermarket taste that you dont really need to tinker with anything. I think it looked better in person during the auto show last week.
    _________
    2019 IS350 AWD
    20xx NX350 AWD

Nice little boy racer, will look good with some 'RIP Paul Walker' stickers on it

My Ride

Originally posted by born2workoncars
    Nice little boy racer, will look good with some 'RIP Paul Walker' stickers on it

-H.P. Lovecraft

I read today the Si is getting 192 lb/ft of torque, which is less than the base 1.5T (192lb/ft at the wheels for a non-sport on 87 octane), so either that number is similarly underrated (probably), or it won't be much of a jump from the Sport. If it only comes in Sedan/Coupe, I am secretly hoping it's not too much of a jump up from the Sport
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 03-24-2017 at 01:25 PM.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

http://jalopnik.com/the-next-honda-c...e-f-1793635515

Interesting if they advertise power at the wheels.

Still kind of disappointed though considering these will go for $30k, the Type R at $50k.

GTI on a stage 1 flash alone is making 290whp/350lb-ft or something crazy as they come with a good factory turbo and the 2.0L displacement.

Fo'ST on the stage 1 Cobb will get 250whp/300lb-ft with its tiny turbo.

Both FoST and GTI put down ~270wtq stock.

Fiesta ST says Hi as well...advertised 201hp/220lb-ft (1.6T)

Cobalt SS turbo...260lb-ft, Speed3...280lb-ft, SRT4...265lb-ft

Elantra Sport, Veloster Turbo, Forte5 Turbo: 195lb-ft (that 1.6T they use)

My Ride
    F10M/F87/NA2/W220/V90/E46ZHP/SE3P/DC2

Originally posted by tehwegz

blahblahblah
    When you compare cars you have to go stock for stock. all your non-sense is completely irrelevant.

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Originally posted by Team_Mclaren

When you compare cars you have to go stock for stock. all your non-sense is completely irrelevant.
    lol I only put the modified GTI/FoST numbers because those are the only two that really interest me if paying 30k for a turbo FWD compact type car, good to know the out the box potential even if it's meaningless to most people. Maybe stir up some discussion on a car enthusiast forum.

Everyone knows these cars are going to get modified given the demographic of people buying them, and easy aftermarket access/availability. Maybe not right away, as some will want to keep their warranty.

Stock VS Stock GTI and FoST are putting down at least 270wtq, which is advertised twist for the FoST, slightly above advertised for the GTI.

But looking at what a junkyard Honda D15/D16 on boost can do, I don't doubt a Honda with small displacement and "Earth Dreams". An EX-T Touring I drove was very nice, very refined. Better than some current model BMW's I've driven especially comparing the $ spent more just for status symbol.

A GTI optioned out like the Si probably will be, is around $8K more (assuming $30K for the Si). Not really a fair comparison but we don't have MSRPs yet to be sure. No question the GTI is still a great performance bargain.

Also why haven't you assumed a ECU flash on the Honda? Maybe it adds a lot. The Si will probably get a different turbo. Probably not as much as a 2.0L but also remember the car is a little lighter at ~2900 lbs.

Type R is rumored low $40K, not $50K unless I missed some news updates. Certainly it will be a niche vehicle, as are all the similar offerings in that segment.

What GTI flash are you talking about that makes 290 hp / 350tq at the *wheels*? APR's Stage 1 flash on 91 octane is 305 hp / 371 tq at the crank. Not sure what drive-train losses are, maybe 15%.

GTI will still likely be the performance leader for all out power, tune or no tune, because the engine is larger, but it is also a lot more expensive unless you buy a base model 2dr which is not a fair comparison.

At any rate, the regular Civic 1.5t makes more wheel power than Honda advertises at the crank, so hopefully the Si is similarly underrated and ends up putting out real numbers the mid-200's. I'm sure it'll still be a fun little car, but it sucks it probably won't come as a hatch - for that reason I am not sure how many people cross shop the GTI and Si.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Focus ST (252 HP / 270 TQ) is slower than a lowly Civic Sport 0-60 (advertised 180 HP / 177 TQ which we know to be more). The Civic is 6.2, the ST is 6.3 just going off google'd results from autoblogs. So if something like the ST needs 40% more advertised HP and over 50% more advertised torque to roughly match the performance of a base model Civic, it stands to reason that after an ECU flash it would be closer to the Si despite having more power. The GTI sees better gains yet, and stock it's already a full half second faster. So there is a lot more to consider than just power figures, but it's all still speculation at this point

My Ride
    2018 Civic Si coupe

Teaser vid! Get to hear the engine too, I don't think it's been posted here.

A bit more info here:
    http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...bo-engine.html

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...irst-look.html

Page 30 of 73 FirstFirst ... 20 29 30 31 40 ... LastLast