Quantcast
Civic Type-R Turbo Mega Thread - Page 37 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast

Thread: Civic Type-R Turbo Mega Thread

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by Swank
    I actually found my Si to be pretty lacking in bells and whistles. Many other vehicles either came with or had the following as options in 2007, and mine you couldn't even get them as options:

Heated seats
    Heated steering wheel
    Factory remote start
    Bluetooth
    Navigation/touch screen
    USB
    Power/remote trunk release
    Estimated fuel economy/distance until empty

It does seem that Honda has stepped it up in this area now too, very good to see.
    Yah I think it was 2012, they had to do the emergency refresh to do the civic because of all the competition. They stepped up their game alot!

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    It will be Honda loaded, which is a pretty good standard. All of the Honda's I've owned in the past have been well equipped and featured upscale finishing. That said, stepping into something German is a whole other level of luxury
    I am not sure if anything is specifically omitted for the type R (for weight savings or whatever), but the regular Civic in touring trim has things like:

Heated rear seats
    Auto braking
    Autonomous cruise control (with full control over brakes/accelerator)
    Lane keep (it can drive itself down the highway, including corners)
    Lane departure with physical steering input intervention
    Full LCD dash that can overlay NAV instructions, etc.
    LED Low/high beams with auto on/off high beams that detect oncoming traffic
    Automatic hill assist for the MT
    10-12 speaker stereo w/sub and separate amplification
    Side view mirror cameras that project your blind spot onto the dash LCD
    Touch screen with significant customization/control over many vehicle functions
    Proximity key (pretty standard these days)
    Wireless charging pad
    Factory remote start (CVT)
    Factory NAV / Android Auto / Apple Car Play

The only thing it's missing is a heated wheel, which is mind boggling because the button-plug is there for the heated wheel as it's the exact same part as the CRV, which has a heated wheel.

Past Hondas and especially past Civics have not been equipped to that level. The 2017 Acura TLX doesn't even have all those things. Obviously it's not going to be equipped like an S-class MB, but for a sub-$30K car the equipment they are including these days is pretty incredible at least compared to what I am used to. You don't even get all those things on a $50K Audi A4 or something like that, as it only comes on the most expensive trim levels. Much of the compact segment is offering a lot of similar things as well, there seems to be some good competition on the technology side these days.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-02-2017 at 12:14 PM.

My Ride
    AWD grandpa wagon

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

The only thing it's missing is a heated wheel, which is mind boggling because the button-plug is there for the heated wheel as it's the exact same part as the CRV, which has a heated wheel.
    On a side note, if anyone is curious, this is the install process (20 pages) for the CR-V heated steering wheel. I read that it is not a cheap option from the dealer.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...eringwheel.pdf

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Just test drove the new Civic Si with Darkane.

Not impressed overall. Desperately needs a tune. Has alot of rev hang, and everytime you shift to 2nd it cuts power. Traction control can not be defeated.

If you dont care about the rev hang and such it is very comfortable and roomy. The seats are nice. Drives very well. This car with a DCT tranny would be a nice daily I think.

Type R better be a few leagues over this Si.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Yeah early reviews are mixed. Sounds like the Si is solid but not overly exciting or overly sporty in feel.

My Ride
    Beyond Fit Golf R and Berta RAM 1500

Originally posted by heavyD
    Yeah early reviews are mixed. Sounds like the Si is solid but not overly exciting or overly sporty in feel.
    Trying to have fun with the Si was hard. I think a Hondata tune will be a night and day difference on this car. If you tune out the rev hang and traction control it will be wayyy better.

In stock form it actually kinda sucks honestly lol. Its not fun or rewarding. It cuts power hard and when that happens boost lag on top. So shifting from 1-2 there is literally a 2 second power delay.

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I am not sure if anything is specifically omitted for the type R (for weight savings or whatever), but the regular Civic in touring trim has things like:

Heated rear seats
    Auto braking
    Autonomous cruise control (with full control over brakes/accelerator)
    Lane keep (it can drive itself down the highway, including corners)
    Lane departure with physical steering input intervention
    Full LCD dash that can overlay NAV instructions, etc.
    LED Low/high beams with auto on/off high beams that detect oncoming traffic
    Automatic hill assist for the MT
    10-12 speaker stereo w/sub and separate amplification
    Side view mirror cameras that project your blind spot onto the dash LCD
    Touch screen with significant customization/control over many vehicle functions
    Proximity key (pretty standard these days)
    Wireless charging pad
    Factory remote start (CVT)
    Factory NAV / Android Auto / Apple Car Play

Past Hondas and especially past Civics have not been equipped to that level. The 2017 Acura TLX doesn't even have all those things. Obviously it's not going to be equipped like an S-class MB, but for a sub-$30K car the equipment they are including these days is pretty incredible at least compared to what I am used to. You don't even get all those things on a $50K Audi A4 or something like that, as it only comes on the most expensive trim levels. Much of the compact segment is offering a lot of similar things as well, there seems to be some good competition on the technology side these days.
    That's what I would call raising the bar, every manufacturer with cars in tnis segment or above will most likely have to raise their game.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I liked it overall. Super comfortable, I loved the seats and the seating position. Shifted fell to hand easily.

I'd like to see what this car does with HFP suspension, pads and PS4 rubber. It should hit 1G or damn close. Turn in was wicked and the adaptive dampers actually felt like it rotated the car in a little.

In comparison to my old 8th gen 8700rpm bolt-on screamer, it was numb. That engine felt great. Mind you it was modified so I can't fairly judge this stock unit.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

From what I understand about the 1.5T Hondata tune, it removes the artificial turbo lag Honda has dialed in which apparently makes a world of difference, the turbo spools even earlier around 1400RPM, and it reduces rev hang. Sounds like all that would go a long way on the Si, and with the beefier turbo they can probably get an even larger power increase out of it than they do on the regular Civic.

These cars are tuned to be *ridiculously* easy to drive, and very forgiving, which seems to come at the expense of not making them as edgy.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

I'm not overly impressed if a car needs a lot of modification to feel properly sporty or of an engine needs an aftermarket tune to have proper power/response. With a simple tune a GTI or Golf R can instantly turn into a monster but they also offer great performance stock so I feel you have to judge the car for the way it will drive for 95% of the people that buy them and that's stock as even a mundane car can be improved with extensive modification. It's pretty clear the Type R is the only real performance Civic.
    Last edited by heavyD; 06-03-2017 at 10:36 AM.

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

I'm not overly impressed if a car needs a lot of modification to feel properly sporty or of an engine needs an aftermarket tune to have proper power/response. With a simple tune a GTI or Golf R can instantly turn into a monster but they also offer great performance stock so I feel you have to judge the car for the way it will drive for 95% of the people that buy them and that's stock as even a mundane car can be improved with extensive modification. It's pretty clear the Type R is the only real performance Civic.
    Im not very informed on the GTi, but does it have any power limiting 'factory tuning' in place?

I've been in a new performance pack dsg (GTi) model and it just went. Would rape the new Si I feel - but only in straight line performance.

The Si was really composed, even with the standard all seasons. With the optional summers it would change the driving experience, at least I think so.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

GTI w/DSG is about $8K more than an Si similarly equipped, I would hope there is a difference for that kind of money. Two completely different classes of cars IMO. A loaded GTI is priced closer to what the Type R is likely to be, and at least it's also a hatch. You can get a base GTI which still costs more than the loaded Si but then there is no real comparison because the Si only comes in one trim. Very different cars aimed at different buyers IMO.

The Si sounds like an ideal commuter, but with the tuning headroom there for the crowd that wants to go down that road (there are probably lots).
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 06-04-2017 at 12:54 AM.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

You have confused GTI pricing with R. You can easily get into a GTI w/DSG for less than $35k.

My Ride
    '16 Civic

Originally posted by HiSpec

On a side note, if anyone is curious, this is the install process (20 pages) for the CR-V heated steering wheel. I read that it is not a cheap option from the dealer.

http://www.collegehillshonda.com/ins...eringwheel.pdf
    Has it actually been confirmed that the fuse box or whatever in the Civic has an existing and powered port strictly for the heated steering wheel despite it not being offered officially as an accessory?

I'm on CivicX and the OEM LED Fogs for the Type R are the same part no. as the Odyssey Touring and 18' TLX A Spec fogs but the wiring is incompatible with the halogen ones.

Bunch of niggly little shit that seems so close, but is one thing from being done.
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    '16 Civic

You have confused GTI pricing with R. You can easily get into a GTI w/DSG for less than $35k.
    5 Door with Fender Audio, LED headlamps and push button start?

I'm a Honda fanboy, but let's be honest, unless outright performance is the ONLY thing that matters, One thing I hate about these comparisons is the whole 'I can get Base WRX for Civic Si money'. Bitch you got to turn the key and have no sunroof.
    2016 Honda Civic Touring

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by Jonathanl10
    5 Door with Fender Audio, LED headlamps and push button start?

I'm a Honda fanboy, but let's be honest, unless outright performance is the ONLY thing that matters, One thing I hate about these comparisons is the whole 'I can get Base WRX for Civic Si money'. Bitch you got to turn the key and have no sunroof.
    There is only really one base GTI and i's the 3-door and all the rest are Autobahn that have sunroof, fender system, LED/HID lights, etc. It's still more than a Civic SI but nowhere near $8k more even with DSG unless you start adding DAP and the Performance pack but that's a disingenuous comparison seeing the Civic SI doesn't have a dual clutch transmission option or driver assist package (Honda stripped the SI of CMBS, FCW, LDW, RDM or ACC that you can get in the Golf with DAP). Subaru is the only company that really sells strippers and that's to keep base price down seeing AWD is standard. The SI is what I would call well equipped but it's not a fully loaded car seeing it's lacking several options you can get in a Civic Touring.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

VW of Canada is finally giving us a base 5 door GTI for 2018.

There is no more 3 door GTI so I expect the base 5 door GTI DSG will be just over $30k. Should see pricing soon. Will be nice to see some comparos but unless the SI is really underrated the GTI will still remain quite a bit faster than both Si and Focus ST.
    Last edited by Aleks; 06-05-2017 at 08:14 AM.

Originally posted by Aleks
    VW of Canada is finally giving us a base 5 door GTI for 2018.

There is no more 3 door GTI so I expect the base 5 door GTI DSG will be just over $30k. Should see pricing soon. Will be nice to see some comparos but unless the SI is really underrated the GTI will still remain quite a bit faster than both Si and Focus ST.
    That's good - I remember when I was shopping that was annoying. Took it out of my price range real quick because I didn't want a 3-door with zero options.

The Si only comes full load, I don't think the cars are really trying to compete with each other given such a large price difference when similarly equipped, completely different body style, and significantly different engine sizes/power ratings. I would fully expect the GTI to be faster, it would be disappointing if it wasn't. It would be like comparing a loaded A4 2.0T to a base BMW 340Xi or something. Both are $55K. If all you want is the power, you might get the BMW. If you want option packages and a bit of everything, you might pick the A4. If you have to strip every option off of a car to get it close to the price of something else (in this case the base 6MT GTI is still more expensive), it isn't much of a comparison.

The Focus ST is weirdly slow for the amount of power it supposedly has, slower than a regular Civic Sport if you believe Jalopnik I think the GTI is around a full second faster.

Honda Engineers said the reason they kept the Si power largely the same as previous models was for reliability and cost. They said pushing the 1.5T harder would reduce it's ability to run for hundreds of thousands of KM, giving it the 2.0T would have raised the price too much, and they wanted it to be about the same as previous versions. Sounds like something Honda would do while trying to appeal to the masses.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Is Canada getting a later release on the CTR? Still no pricing announced in Canada and in the US is appears they will be released in a matter of a week or two.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Is Canada getting a later release on the CTR? Still no pricing announced in Canada and in the US is appears they will be released in a matter of a week or two.
    Yup USA getting it before us

Page 37 of 73 FirstFirst ... 27 36 37 38 47 ... LastLast