Default Eat and help some people out.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/travel/...709/story.html

Old-fashioned soda shop faces uncertain future

Black Diamond eatery lost business due to flood detours

By Annalise Klingbeil, Calgary Herald November 19, 2013

Story
    Photos ( 1 )

Old-fashioned soda shop faces uncertain future

Marv Garriott, owner of Marv’s Classic Soda Shop in Black Diamond, says unless business picks up in the next few months, he may be forced to close the tourist attraction.
    Photograph by: Dean Bicknell , Calgary Herald

Marv Garriott stayed up all night Monday, trying to figure out a way to keep his authentic 1950s soda shop and diner in Black Diamond open.

While the restaurant was not directly affected by the June floods, a large portion of Highway 22 connecting Turner Valley and Black Diamond was washed out in the flood, keeping visitors from Marv’s Classic Soda Shop for weeks.

“We lost pretty much all of that traffic that would travel through here normally,” Garriott said.

Business at the tourist destination — home to what Garriott believes is the only operating antique soda fountain in Canada — was down 70 per cent in July compared to July 2012, and down 40 per cent in August. Even before the flood, business was slower than previous years.

Now, bills are piling up and 68-year-old Garriott is worried he will have to close the shop, which has been a fixture in the town 40 kilometres south of Calgary for years.

On Monday night, Garriott researched realtors online.

“(Selling) it would be a very, very last resort for me. I’ve put my heart and soul into this place,” he said.

For 13 years, the shop has served ice cream, sweets and homemade burgers and fries, sourced from local farms, to customers from around the world.

Located on main street, the shop indulges Garriott’s love of the 1950s. From the jukebox to the authentic photos and other nostalgic memorabilia, it serves as a walk down memory lane for visitors.

“Our business is a unique business and probably one of a kind in the country,” Garriott said.

While business typically slows down in winter — July and August are Garriott’s two busiest months — Garriott believes an influx of tourists in the coming months could keep him from closing the doors.

“It won’t take a lot to turn around, we just need some travelling on the weekends out here,” he said.

If not, like the memorabilia it houses, the shop will become a thing of the past, something Garriott desperately hopes won’t happen.

“This is home for me. Everything that I care about in my life is in here,” he said.

[email protected]

I've Known Marv for almost 20 years, its tough to see him in this position, especially after he just recovered from a heart operation that almost killed him earlier this year.
    All of Black Diamond and Turner Valley is hurting right now, if you are looking for a day trip and some good food, the area could use some economic help. There is also a great Buffet at the Diamond Valley, pizza at Grillos and Turner Valley Inn. I also visit the barber shop in BD, it's owner also echos the post flood business loss, in the 70% range. The bridge being out on highway 22 and the loss of the campground really hurt the business district.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Blue boy

Beyond Meet?

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

That sucks

The media attention might jump sales temporarily (which might be all they need), but ultimately that road connecting Turner Valley and Black Diamond needs to be fixed so traffic can go through there again. Hope that can be fixed ASAP.

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Beyond Meet?
    Around an hour-drive out of town, why not

I'd never even heard of this place until I saw it on Global News last night. I'd definitely like to try this place out for the carbonated ice cream.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

If you are on the other side of the bridge, Chuckwagon Cafe is another excellent restaruant that could probably use some more business. I like it for breakfast, but I hear thier burgers are amazing too.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by Disoblige
    That sucks

The media attention might jump sales temporarily (which might be all they need), but ultimately that road connecting Turner Valley and Black Diamond needs to be fixed so traffic can go through there again. Hope that can be fixed ASAP.

Around an hour-drive out of town, why not
    The road between TV and BD (HW22)is open, the Decalta bridge on the back side near Snob hill that connects to the Golf course through TV is still out.
    The campground is still out and will take probably most of next season to get rebuilt.
    The Government went around and put up all their rebuilding Alberta signs but has yet to actually do much to rebuild the damaged areas.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    TDi

I've been here once and I actually had a good time on my way there. It's a little aways out from Calgary but my friends and I had a detour to split rock on the way back home.

They have peanut butter burgers I believe. I might actually set up a get-together with friends again!
    GO FLAMES GO!

My Ride
    Can't driver because I'm legally blind

How's the parking around there? So you need to take okotoks to highway 7

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by G-ZUS
    Beyond Meet?
    +1 my first thought when I started reading

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Im totally down. Marv's place is awesome. The food there is wicked, and well priced. It has that whole "classic dinner" thing going on, you can buy retro candies there, and the waitresses are dressed like they would have been in the 50's. They have an impressive selection of ice cream too.

Super cool place, and that would be a great road trip and a chance to get out of the city. Black Diamond is cool little town, not too far from Okotoks, so that would be a cool trip on a sunday.
    We have to access it from Okotoks most likely, as I dont think that highway that connects Black Diamond from Turner Valley is open yet.

Shall we all organize it for the weekend, or week day? what works for everybody? This weekend would be ideal for me, but

Back in the day when Marv was there, he plays the accordion, so he would sometimes play it for people eating there if they wanted it. (I never did this, I cant stand those things).
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-20-2013 at 05:44 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by Graham_A_M
    It has that whole "classic dinner" thing going on, you can buy retro candies there, and the waitresses are dressed like they would have been in the 50's.
    So a triple D's Guy Fieri kinda place?

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

he should do a kickstarter or indiegogo campaign, raise funds to pay the bills now and people can pre-buy vouchers for when they find themselves in the area.

but yeah, totally read the title of this thread the first time as "help by eating some people out"

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by n1zm0

So a triple D's Guy Fieri kinda place?
    Yeah, I think so, its not a "stuff your face with copious amounts of food" kind of thing which is the typical triple D calling card, but its quite good food, big enough portions, well made and reasonably priced. To be honest, That "You gotta eat here" show (The Canadian version of Triple D) came down to Turner Valley and did an episode on the Chuckwagon Cafe, so it was super cool to see that place on TV. I'd go there more often, but the line ups are retarded at times.. so I often go to Marv's instead, or this other Cafe by millarville.

Fuck, Im trying to find that cafe in John Gilchrists book, but I cant find it, thats odd, it must be in an addition newer then mine. I dont even remember the name of it, wow I must be getting old hahaha.
    Last edited by Graham_A_M; 11-20-2013 at 05:46 PM.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Is fun!

Originally posted by ercchry
    ....but yeah, totally read the title of this thread the first time as "help by eating some people out"
    You're not alone

My Ride
    Horse

I love Marv's. Been there only a few times but it was awesome every time. Really unique environment. Too bad finals are coming up, I'd love to go join some Beyonder's there.

My Ride
    4x4

He was making comments on 770 that perhaps this weekend might not be the best weekend to come - sounds like he's expecting to get swamped... Suggested maybe next weekend would be better?

My Ride
    Exploded.

If a meet is planned, ill go.

I was there in August for their local car show and the place was packed.
    Went back a few weeks ago and it's noticeably slow,such a shame because it's a great place.
    Marv still puts his apron down and sings occasionally.
    Good candy store inside too.

Originally posted by AndyL
    He was making comments on 770 that perhaps this weekend might not be the best weekend to come - sounds like he's expecting to get swamped... Suggested maybe next weekend would be better?
    For a guy looking for customers to save his business he shouldnt be picky when they come.

My Ride
    4x4

pissing people off because you're unable to serve them (or even stock enough product - since this is a smaller store) - probably hurts business almost as much.

So he's probably being smrt - dunno if he was the one who brought this out there to the media - but i think he might be surprised at the response. Think of the groupon fails - due to the businesses being overwhelmed by the influx.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast