Quantcast
Last Minute Deals - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Last Minute Deals

Default Last Minute Deals

Has anyone actually ever gone to the airport and bought a last-minute ticket? Or is that an urban myth? I know they sometimes have last-minute deals on a few holiday destinations (packages), but I don't know anyone who has done this before. Seems rather unlikely, but possible (I suppose). Even online, last-minute flights are usually ultra expensive rather than ultra cheap.
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    '15 Grand Cherokee Summit, '18 Golf R

Airlines caught on to the fact that most last-minute trips are business related, so they rape you shamelessly.

Might get lucky with more of a holiday destination, but you'll still probably be better off booking in advance. None of the deals I've ever seen are all that special.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Yeap. Cheap last minute flights were a thing of the pre-millenium.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Bicycle

AC flights are mostly overbooked. Not likely to have last minute deals.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

I book last minute vacations, but I also run my own show so I have the flexibility of not having a set departure time.

Thanks guys, that's what I figured. A790, where do you get last minute deals from? Is it for flights or packaged deals?
    Porsche 944S2 Cabrio

My Ride
    Indian Scout

Selloffvacations, itravel2000, expedia: all pretty similar when it comes to booking a discount fare. Chris Myden suggested farecompare which is an aggregator for all the online sites so you can compare all on one place.

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by bitteeinbit
    Thanks guys, that's what I figured. A790, where do you get last minute deals from? Is it for flights or packaged deals?
    I use RedTag.ca simply because I like the layout/design. All the common travel package sites sell the same vacation packages, so it's six in one hand, a half dozen in the other.

Originally posted by Isaiah
    Selloffvacations, itravel2000, expedia: all pretty similar when it comes to booking a discount fare. Chris Myden suggested farecompare which is an aggregator for all the online sites so you can compare all on one place.
    I have never used that for vacations. How is it?

My Ride
    Ford F150

Going to the airport and hopping on a plane is definitely a thing of the past. These days you're likely to be charged 5x the normal ticket price. I've had several airline reps tell me straight up "If you're buying a ticket last minute, odds are you really need it, so the airlines charge more knowing you will still pay".

Seldom do you see all inclusive last minute deals like you used to. You can get lucky though, and if you're like A790 and can come and go as you please, then you will have more luck. But booking a few months in advance seems to always be the cheapest way.

I'm a big fan of heading south for the winter, so over the years I've kept pretty good track of prices. Take it with a grain of salt, this is just my experience.

Originally posted by Isaiah
    Chris Myden suggested farecompare which is an aggregator for all the online sites so you can compare all on one place.
    I actually find that his website is pretty good for finding deals. Between him, redtag, and itravel, all your bases are covered.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

for all inclusive trips, if you are really flexible, you can still get deals. Like if you don't care Mexico vs Dominican, and you can leave any time within a week window.
    Deals do pop up, but for me, I'm so picky about what flights I get, it's not likely to work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    05 Outback 2.5xt

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    for all inclusive trips, if you are really flexible, you can still get deals. Like if you don't care Mexico vs Dominican, and you can leave any time within a week window.
    Deals do pop up, but for me, I'm so picky about what flights I get, it's not likely to work out.
    Do you just use redtag/expedia to find your deals?

My Ride
    '11 SWP Impreza

My personal favourites for 'deal' searches are: SkyScanner (flights), Expedia (packages), and FlightCentre (AIs).

Posted in travel deals thread earlier this week, found flight YYC to Kelowna for $183 RT on WJ.

As extraslow mentioned above, often times you can see get quite decent deals on last minute all-inclusive type vacations.

Here's one that just popped up, $666pp all in for a week in Cuba (4.5*), leaving in 2 days: http://secure.redtag.ca/se_2.00/step...11267&type=new

Also, there was one deal back in October (for 1 week in Mexico, during November), through FC, for $590pp all in (4*).

this isnt really what you are asking, but just last week i did jump on a plane last minute. I had a layover in chicago for 2 hours, but there was an earlier flight so i went straight to the gate and asked them, they switched my ticket no problem and put me on the earlier plane immediately.