Quantcast
Starting as an electrician - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Starting as an electrician

Originally posted by InRich

Thats the losers way to go...

My recommendation is to start off on your own, and work your own jobs for people. if your good, your name will get around FAST, and you'll be set.

I had a guy, come out of as a fresh new electrician do my basement... back then he had nothing, today, just a year half later hes booking 1 month in advance, I cant even get him to come back to do some bedroom stuff I want done cause hes so busy...

Worse case scenario, you go work out in fort mac, making 100k++ 2 weeks on, 1 week off, where u get to do your own jobs on the side for people...

Also, wouldnt hurt to call all the reno companies in calgary for that 1 week off, and see if they need an electrician for their reno projects on the go, or in the future. its that easy...

But I would discourage working for someone else on salary basis.

You'll also need a sense of humor to deflect this shit lol

My Ride
    something green

Originally posted by InRich

I cant even get him to come back to do some bedroom stuff I want done cause hes so busy...

That's probably not the real reason he won't come back.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    Has AWD

thread bump, I am currently in the same situation as the OP having a hard time finding a company to hire me green. Im not entirely green tho, I have everything for safety gear/tools minus a drill and tool belt. I worked a saturday/sunday with a friend on a side job he had for a residential place. I hung light fixtures/smokies and put plate covers on so I got an ok feel for it and decided I did want to proceed in this field. I've applied to tons of kijiji ad's and have taken a small stack of resumes to a few choice companies I was told had lots of residential work. So far Im not getting any call backs. Im 28 years old, Ive got lots of various experience in many industries, including sheet metal fabrication, so Im not new to using tools either. I want to start working towards a career and not just another job that pays the bills. I volunteer my time when possible to various auto racing clubs in Alberta(CSCC, SASC), and I even have 1 year of collage courses. I never mind working overtime and I work hard............why am I struggling to find a job as an entry level electrician? I have a good cover letter and resume which highlight my various experience and that I have tools/safety gear.

Help me beyond, I need to get goin into this career path

My Ride
    06 F-150

It's kind of quiet right now being winter and all. A lot of companies are laying off experienced guys, so other companies are obviously going to snatch up the guys with experience rather then take a green hand. I got laid off myself last month, and I've noticed way fewer ads online looking for guys right now. Things will start to pick up in the spring/summer.

Just make sure in your e-mails you really express that you are serious about the trade, and want to make a career out of it. I got hired on last February with no experience, and I know quite a few other guys that managed to get jobs with going to SAIT first. Just keep trying man something will come up.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

MGCM - send me a PM with your linkedIN profile (or another online resume). I know of a commercial electricianw who could use some part time help - at least its something.

Alternately, I have had great luck with indeed and wowjobs websites.

I can get you a job at trotter and Morton. PM me your email, I'll email you Monday with details.

you guys can check out Enerflex. I know they are hiring a number of trades and looks like it's going to start getting crazy busy here. I know the sparkies at our shop have barely had a day off in the last month and a half.

Worth a shot. go in with a good resume, killer attitiude and be enthusiastic and you just might get in.

My Ride
    Toyota Camry

@AudiPWR

I am at the exact same position as the OP and MGCM. Your help would be highly appreciated.Please check your message box.

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

I would try and get into a more controls oriented company building panels or doing grunt work at someplace like Scott Springfield
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

Some industrial companies to look in to.

Techmation
    Pronghorn Controls
    Tarpon
    Pyramid

Could also look into sub tech or lineman
    1990 Poonstang
    1990 Sexplorer
    1967 Chevelle Panty Dropper
    2003 GMC SLE 1500HD Donkey Hauler
    2013 Ram Longhorn w/ a 6" lift and 35s
    2017 Nissan Maxima

Originally posted by legendboy
    I would try and get into a more controls oriented company building panels or doing grunt work at someplace like Scott Springfield
    What is the starting pay on a job like that?

My Ride
    6.7 CUMMINS, E50 AMG

No idea dude probably above average? At least your working inside and learning more than just commercial/residential electrical. Controls/plc/vfd experience is what I would be after
    Machining, Fabricating, Welding etc.

My Ride
    RSTi

Originally posted by legendboy
    No idea dude probably above average? At least your working inside and learning more than just commercial/residential electrical. Controls/plc/vfd experience is what I would be after
    This man speaks the truth, the more controls knowledge you have the faster you'll get to work on PLC's and drives.

Guys with experience in all 3 can go pretty much anywhere they want and find work.

My Ride
    2010 Black on Black F150

You know the worst thing about being an electrician?

Telling your parents your gay

Just joking Controls and instrumentation is the best thing about the possibilities of things you can do after having experience and were you want to be.

PM ME. I need green sparkes.

Got MGCM lined up already, will help others.

Hello, I am 20 years old, hard working reliable and motivated, I am trying to get into the electrician trade, but everywhere I have tried to apply they are only hiring 2nd year or more. If anyone knows any place I can start, I don't mind doing general labour or unpaid work until I prove myself.
    I have tried going to the youth employment for trades, and they said it could take weeks or months, so I am crossing my fingers they can find me a starting position, meanwhile I am going to keep trying to apply on my own.

I was also wondering if anyone recommends taking the pre employment program at SAIT?
    Last edited by calgary2014; 04-08-2014 at 04:09 PM.

My Ride
    06 F-150

Originally posted by calgary2014
    Hello, I am 20 years old, hard working reliable and motivated, I am trying to get into the electrician trade, but everywhere I have tried to apply they are only hiring 2nd year or more. If anyone knows any place I can start, I don't mind doing general labour or unpaid work until I prove myself.
    I have tried going to the youth employment for trades, and they said it could take weeks or months, so I am crossing my fingers they can find me a starting position, meanwhile I am going to keep trying to apply on my own.

I was also wondering if anyone recommends taking the pre employment program at SAIT?
    I managed to get hired with no experience as a first year, but it can be a battle for some people. I know lots of guys that get hired after taking the pre employment, so it is worthwhile. And as soon as you get your 1500 hours you become a second year without going to school. I'd keep trying to get on with someone though as the pre-employment is kind of expensive.

Try Alcon Electric. I worked for them for a bit. They hire lots of guys with no experience. I no longer work with them though so not sure if they are busy or not.

My Ride
    '87 Merkur XR4Ti, '75Nova Custom, '04 CBR600RR

Custom Electric is kind of hit and miss for job quality, but I know for a fact that they're hard up for guys right now. If you've got any kind of related experience with electrical or lighting I would imagine you'd be a cinch for an apprenticeship slot - If not, well, write a decent cover letter and make sure to shave before you go down

I'm working first period for Crestview Electric, and I know that we just hired about eight guys in the last month or so for some new projects, a couple of whom were just two weeks ago - Would also be worth a shot. CVE is pretty much all commercial work - warehouses and hotels and such, not so much wood structure.
    Last edited by SecondReversal; 04-08-2014 at 09:28 PM.
    Live fast, Die young - But make sure you look good doing it, aye?

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

My company is in desperate need of electrical tech's, we build lighting/power systems for the oil patch, and Im really in need of a few good people, please PM me if you're a good (smart) hard worker.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    06 F-150

Also if you are real serious it could help to go out and buy a set of tools. Include that in yout cover letter and it will immediately show initiative and that you are serious about the trade. Feel free to PM me for questions about what you should have to get started.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast