Quantcast
TSN and the NHL Part Ways... - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TSN and the NHL Part Ways...

My Ride
    has a stick axle

Default TSN and the NHL Part Ways...

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...ght-in-canada/

"Simply put, this is a massive blow for TSN, which has built a large part of its operation around the NHL. Without hockey, TSN’s major remaining live sports properties would include the entire slate of 77 CFL regular-season and playoff games, men’s, women’s and junior world championships in hockey, the national and world championships in curling, Major League Soccer, and a handful of Toronto Raptors games. It also holds the Canadian distribution rights for a package of NFL games, including the Sunday night and Monday night games, all four majors from golf and tennis, and some Premier League soccer games.

TSN is owned by Bell Media with a small share held by ESPN. Sportsnet is owned by Rogers Communications. The two communications giants hold equal 37.5% shares in Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment, which they formally acquired in 2012. MLSE owns the Leafs, Raptors and Toronto FC.

There will still be hockey on TSN, with the network preparing for its annual holiday run at the world junior hockey championships. In Canada, though, the NHL is a lifeblood for sports television. In a statement from Bell on Thursday, the company plans to forge on with the hockey properties it will have rights for, regardless of this deal.

“We congratulate the NHL on this announcement. We submitted a bid we believed was valuable for the NHL and appropriate for our business, but were ultimately outbid. In hockey, our partnerships with the Leafs, Jets, Canadiens, Sens, and Hockey Canada (including the World Juniors) remain core to our TSN and RDS TV, radio and digital properties. With an on-air broadcast team unmatched in terms of talent and experience and our extensive array of pro sports content, we’re committed to TSN remaining Canada’s Sports Leader,” the statement read."

Pretty crazy, not sure what TSN will pick up to fill all the dead air they will now have.

EDIT: Just noticed this is in the OFFICIAL: 2013 - 2014 NHL thread, a moderator can move this post over there or delete this thread.
    Last edited by KRyn; 11-26-2013 at 11:56 AM.

That is big. I knew Rogers was making a push but I didn't think they could completely out bid Bell.

Sucks because Sportsnet is just garbage.

My Ride
    rs4, ram, 675f3

I've been watching less sportdesk lately since jay and dan left. i watch as many bluejays games i can on sportsnet, so i've already been sneaking over more. plus ufc is there too

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I hope there are provisions in the contract for streaming broadcasts in the future, either through Sportsnet directly or a 3rd party. If not, it'll be at least 12 years before we can expect to disconnect from TV services...
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

I dislike the Toronto Sports Network, but sportsnet is even worse. Half their broadcasts are worse quality than watching WHL Games on the Shaw channel.

Dammit cbc...

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

OK read through the whole article, this is good news for streaming. From the looks of it, blackout restrictions are gone since Sportsnet has full national rights to every game? Center Ice and Gamecenter Live will also belong to Rogers?
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2013 Scion FR-S

Originally posted by rage2
    OK read through the whole article, this is good news for streaming. From the looks of it, blackout restrictions are gone since Sportsnet has full national rights to every game? Center Ice and Gamecenter Live will also belong to Rogers?
    I sure hope you're right! This is a massive deal. Big time shake up coming in the national sports broadcasting department. However, I'll support any deal that makes it easier for me to stream the sports that I want to watch...

This sucks. I hate Nick Kypreous. By far the worst hockey man on TV

I hope TSN can keep around Thats Hockey.

My Ride
    Lariat

Terrible, i hate sportsnet, i only ever watch tsn. I wonder if all the big TSN names will move over?
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    Exploded.

Somebody fucked up big on the negotiation table.

Flames/Oilers/Canucks fans won't really see any changes since 90% of the games are already on Sportsnet.

My Ride
    2005 F350

yeah but it they lift the blackouts on the streaming side, that means i can buy Gamecentre on my phone and watch Flames games when i'm not at home?
    "Make Canada a better place, punch a Canuck fan in the face" - Jim Rome

Hopefully some TSN NHL analysts come over... Or sportsnet does a revamp with other fresh talent. Steve Kerr has to be the worst, and I mean THE WORST commentator out there. Guy is awful. I'd rather watch a game in French then to have to sit through his terrible attempts at making an analogy and overall foolish commentary.

Word is TSN was hardballing the league early on and apparently the end bids were essentially the same from Bell/CTV and Rogers. NHL goes with Rogers to spite the arrogance... just some words i've heard. All hear say though ha.

Originally posted by SOAB
    yeah but it they lift the blackouts on the streaming side, that means i can buy Gamecentre on my phone and watch Flames games when i'm not at home?
    National broadcast rights only cover games on Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday.

All regional blackouts will still be applied on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday.

My Ride
    RSX Type-S, 335i Coupe

Looks like we can expect to watch more eastern conference games (habs/leafs games) out here. I purchased gamecenter live and use unblock-us right now to get every game as it is anyways.

Originally posted by beyond_ban
    Hopefully some TSN NHL analysts come over...
    Bob McKenzie says he's staying put and will continue to do as much hockey coverage and analysis as always. Obviously that's not his call to make, but he's making it seem like things will progress as they always have.

He actually pointed out that this happened before, from '98 to '03. I had no idea.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Bob McKenzie says he's staying put
    Of course he is going to say that publicly.

Originally posted by Mibz
    He actually pointed out that this happened before, from '98 to '03. I had no idea.
    Jim Hughson, Darren Dreger, Craig Simpson and Greg Millen were all working for Sportsnet at that time.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast