Quantcast
U.S.A can't walk your kids from school - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: U.S.A can't walk your kids from school

My Ride
    Saab 9-5

Default U.S.A can't walk your kids from school

http://grist.org/list/dad-arrested-a...d-of-in-a-car/

Just when you thought things could'nt get stupider.
    I would've freaked out.
    But then again your kids do belong to Goverment.
    Arash i'am sure you can back this up.

Not a big deal in Calgary - just drive near any school (especially elementary) and you'll see multitudes of helicopter parents picking up/dropping off their precious ones. It's bedlam in the mornings/afternoons what with traffic jams/illegal parking and better yet, our school taxes go towards providing required busing for many of these driven students resulting in so many under-utilized buses driving around.

I don't understand why kids can't walk or take the bus to/from school - don't use the old "my kids are so busy bullshit" because kids/families have always been busy. I applaud this guy for stepping outside of the norm - what's unfortunate is the norm has become that skewed.

So in closing, how many of you Beyond parents with school aged kids drive your kids to/from school when they can either walk or take supplied busing and why?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    rally pig

i don't understand the article well

was his car parked on the highway, just like what all the other parents are supposed to do but instead of waiting in the car he walked to pick up his kid

or did he walk from home to school to pick up his kid?

In my old area (Auburn Bay) there would be no less than 20 SUVs idling near the bus stop with their kids inside.

It wasn't like it was -40C either. It was the beginning of September.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by taemo
    i don't understand the article well

was his car parked on the highway, just like what all the other parents are supposed to do but instead of waiting in the car he walked to pick up his kid

Sounds like he was parked in line with the rest of the parents, didn't want to wait his turn, so got out and walked to the school to skip the line?

Either way, nothing arrest worthy.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by speedog
    So in closing, how many of you Beyond parents with school aged kids drive your kids to/from school when they can either walk or take supplied busing and why?
    My gf drives him to the bus stop. It's in Ranchlands, and we're in Arbour Lake.

Kids love the school bus. 30 mins of Pokemon time each way haha.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

Our 8 year old walks to and from school on her own, and crosses a somewhat busy street in front of the school. Occasionally we will go and meet her after school and walk home with her, but that is the exception.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    Skateboard

We live too close to bus but a little too far to walk for a kindergarten kid. I can't expect my MIL to walk in the winter with him so she drives him. Also, if you know any typical 5 year old kid you will know it will take 60 minutes to walk 20 because he will find something interesting every few steps. The nanny does walk him in the summer on the days the younger brother is up.

Originally posted by G
    Also, if you know any typical 5 year old kid you will know it will take 60 minutes to walk 20 because he will find something interesting every few steps.
    Lol. So true.

Ahh to be a kid again and find everything interesting. That is before you become an adult and the weight of the world crushes your spirit

My Ride
    Skateboard

What pisses me off are the idiot parents who u turn in a school zone so their precious doesn't need to cross the street. Any the idiot parents who jay walk with their kids so save a few steps.

Originally posted by rage2
    My gf drives him to the bus stop. It's in Ranchlands, and we're in Arbour Lake.

Kids love the school bus. 30 mins of Pokemon time each way haha.
    Seems odd the school system would have a school bus stop in Ranchlands for kids living in Arbour Lake - only thing I can think is that the bus stop's 800 meter coverage area includes parts of Arbour Lake although that would only apply to a small area of houses to the immediate north side of the Crowfoot shopping compex. All other Arbour Lake homes appear to be more than 800 meters from Ranchlands (assuming K-6 aged kids here).
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Seems odd the school system would have a school bus stop in Ranchlands for kids living in Arbour Lake - only thing I can think is that the bus stop's 800 meter coverage area includes parts of Arbour Lake although that would only apply to a small area of houses to the immediate north side of the Crowfoot shopping compex. All other Arbour Lake homes appear to be more than 800 meters from Ranchlands (assuming K-6 aged kids here).
    You think that is odd...

Area IV Accommodation Challenges
    West Springs and Wildwood Schools
    Dear Parents:
    The Calgary Board of Education (CBE) monitors enrolment at all CBE schools. Currently both West Springs and Wildwood Schools are projected to be over capacity for 2014. When looking for possible solutions to these accommodation challenges, three schools in Area IV were identified as having space to accommodation additional students: Glendale School, Jennie Elliott School and Rosscarrock School.
    On November 14th, parent representatives from six schools met to learn about the issues and discuss potential solutions. From the working groups at the parent representative meeting, five scenarios were developed.
    Scenario 1
    West Springs School: Change grade configuration to K-4 and designate GR 5-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
    Wildwood School: Re-designate Aspen Woods (West of 85th Street) to Jennie Elliott School and re-designate Olympic Heights overflow to Glendale School.
    Scenario 2
    West Springs School: Remain K-6 and Cap enrolment. Overflow K-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
    Wildwood School: Re-designate Cougar Ridge students to Rosscarrock School.
    Scenario 3
    West Springs School: Remain K-6 and Cap enrolment. Overflow K-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
    Wildwood School: Re-designate Spruce Cliff and Westgate students to Rosscarrock School for Regular program.
    Scenario 4
    West Springs School: Change grade configuration to K-4 and designate GR 5-6 students to Rosscarrock School.
    Wildwood School: Re-designate Aspen Woods (West of 85th Street) and Olympic Heights overflow to Jennie Elliott School.
    Scenario 5
    Wildwood School: Re-designate Cougar Ridge students to Jennie Elliott School.
    *Note: Olympic Heights School currently overflows students to Wildwood School and is therefore included in some of the potential scenarios.

If you live in Aspen you might need to drive your kid to Lakeview.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

He doesn't go to the normally designated school. He goes to the Science School (Langevin).
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

More to this story - link. So, so messed up.
    Will fuck off, again.

Originally posted by G
    If you live in Aspen you might need to drive your kid to Lakeview.
    Probably not - busing would/should be provided.

The question is whether or not the Aspen parents with kids designated to Lakeview would put their kids on the bus or would they drive them to Lakeview or better yet, drive them to the bus stop in Aspen?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

He also noted one reason for the high number of students being picked up by private vehicles was many parents did not feel comfortable sending their children by bus, with behavioral issues and foul language children may be exposed to by the wide variety of ages together on the bus.
    So true, I saw my first set of real life tits because I took the bus haha. Some grade 9 chick flashed the cars behind us when I was in Grade 7. But that's all part of growing up IMO. Parents are way too overprotective these days.

My Ride
    Buffalo Truck & An Angry Kitty

Our kids walk to & from the bus stop down at the end of the street. If the school was close enough to not have to take the bus they would be walking as well. Once in a while if it's quite cold (worse than -20) she drives the kids to the bus stop so they can wait in the warm car but that's it.
    "Masked Bandit is a gateway drug for frugal spending." - Unknown303

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

I took the bus to school and back home by myself since grade 4 until I could drive when I was 16. Never really had a problem haha. But now that I think about it, I don't think I'd let my 8-9 year old take the bus by himself

Builds character for sure, I think.

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

Originally posted by spikers

Our 8 year old walks to and from school on her own, and crosses a somewhat busy street in front of the school. Occasionally we will go and meet her after school and walk home with her, but that is the exception.
    Ya, but she seems to be smarter than most adults I know.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by blitz
    Ya, but she seems to be smarter than most adults I know.
    LOL.. ain't that the truth.. including Spikers! hehehe

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast