Quantcast
Infill cost questions - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: Infill cost questions

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default Infill cost questions

    So I have a friend ......

    Who is looking at building an infill project on 50X120 lot so either a duplex or two detached homes.

    He's telling me with his hookups he can get it done for $200/sq.ft MAX.

    Is this feasible? Average trims I suppose, 9-10ft ceilings, hardwood floors, granite counter tops etc.

    Lot: $600K
    Tear down: ????
    Build: 2000sq.ft X $200 X2. = $800K
    Landscape: ????
    Garage: ????

    Where's the profit here? haha
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Beyonds Official Realtor
    My Ride
    www.jordanlotoski.com
    Posts
    2,263
    Rep Power
    20

    Default

    Where is the lot?


    "BEYONDS OFFICIAL REALTOR"
    Ranked #2 Re/Max agent in Calgary (2017/2018)
    Ranked #1 Remax Professionals (2013/2014/2015/2016)
    Ranked #26 Re/Max agent in Canada (2013)
    Ranked # 56 Re/Max agent Worldwide (2014)
    Ranked TOP 10 Remax agent in Western Canada(2013/2014/2015)
    ------Prefered partner www.Worknicer.com-----

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Inner-city.

    The number in question here is $200/sq.ft MAX.

    I know JL you are running around $400 and the trades people like Dave and frozenrice are saying $225-$250 as the min.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Cruising the +15
    My Ride
    100% SAVAGE
    Posts
    6,196
    Rep Power
    27

    Default

    Probably possible, but for that rock-bottom price, you will be building a pretty low budget place, and it may not fit in well with the other homes in the area.

    I recommended you have someone experienced help you (or your friend) in determining a realistic budget so your home can fit in better, and command a reasonable sale value on the other side.
    Double-meat sub dreams.
    Public Mobile referral code: 88M4Y9
    Quote Originally Posted by freshprince1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm glad this is such a safe space full of support and encouragement.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Sorry to highjack here. I am also looking to do an ~2500sf infill as well. Inner city 43'x120' lot. $400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.

    Is there a reason why people aren't building infills with front attached garages? I have yet to see one in the Capitol hill/Mt. pleasant/tuxedo areas.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Originally posted by kkkat
    Sorry to highjack here. I am also looking to do an ~2500sf infill as well. Inner city 43'x120' lot. $400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.

    Is there a reason why people aren't building infills with front attached garages? I have yet to see one in the Capitol hill/Mt. pleasant/tuxedo areas.
    Well this is JL, everything he does is baller.

    You can find a lot of front garages in the Winston Heights area. No rear alleys.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Asbestos removal pre demolition if applicable can run to $30k per inner city average size house (worst case pricing using 16 years of experience).

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    565
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    $400sqft, thats getting close to turnkey price. If it does cost him 700k$ side, he will make very little after realtor fees.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,205
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by RawB8figure
    $400sqft, thats getting close to turnkey price. If it does cost him 700k$ side, he will make very little after realtor fees.
    Pffft....don't you know how beyonders do it? They just learn how to be the GC themselves and bingo...instant profit!!

    Or they hire a builder to build it for them and then turn around and sell it for instant profit.

    Either way, it's just so simple to build houses and make tons of money.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    calgary
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Looking for infloor heating and just above average construction. As far as I know there is no asbestos in this house but I could be wrong, year 1947. Is $250/sf realistic?

    so there is no by-law stopping people from building a house with front garage in areas with back lanes (I haven't found anything yet)?

    We have a detached garage right now and we use it maybe 30days in a year. Just not practical for us.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    S.E. (not the drrty south)
    My Ride
    Blandness
    Posts
    7,043
    Rep Power
    26

    Default Re: Infill cost questions

    Originally posted by max_boost


    He's telling me with his hookups he can get it done for $200/sq.ft MAX.
    I've got the same hookups. $200/sq.ft, no problem. Just use cash corner

  12. #12
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Online
    My Ride
    Budget Baller
    Posts
    10,203
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Originally posted by kkkat
    Looking for infloor heating and just above average construction. As far as I know there is no asbestos in this house but I could be wrong, year 1947. Is $250/sf realistic?

    so there is no by-law stopping people from building a house with front garage in areas with back lanes (I haven't found anything yet)?

    We have a detached garage right now and we use it maybe 30days in a year. Just not practical for us.
    I've seen a single attached front garage on my street in Crescent but if you are talking about those ones you see in the burbs, I have yet to see and yep, probably bylaw related.
    Quote Originally Posted by max_boost View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In Beyond We Trust

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    75
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    I'm only mentioning asbestos because many homeowners turned G.C's have near crapped themselves when they find out their costs have just increased dramatically and their budgets flown out of the window.
    A survey can determine if asbestos is present for a cost of between $1200-$1800 but I'm more than willing to discuss it if you'd like because you can do it yourself.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Calgary
    Posts
    1,205
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Originally posted by kkkat
    $400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.
    About a $2.5+ million home.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1
    Posts
    2,596
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Plans and design $4-5000. Development permit $2-3000, development permit survey $2000, building permit $2500. Asbestos as mentioned above depending on age of house and test results (if house is pre 1980's there will be asbestos of some sort), can run anywhere from $10-40,000. Demolition $15,000. Tree/stump removal if there are trees that can be removed (as allowed by city bylaw). Shoring the ground along the property line (so the dirt from the neighbour's house doesn't collapse into your excavated hole) will run about $300 lineal foot. If it's a really old neighbourhood, then you'll likely need to renew underground sewer and water services to the tune of around $20,000 +/-. ATCO might be around $3000 if the gas line needs to be redone/relocated. Electrical services if overhead will typically cost more for electrician to hook up for temp services. Some cases, you may also need to provide hoarding (in the sense of road/safety barriers). Security/safety fencing rentals will cost about $200/month (required for insurance/liability) - add a few extra bucks a month if you have any existing tress that the city requires protection on. Site toilet rentals, $100/month. Landscaping can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000. Detached garage $20-30,000.

    Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Bowtie
    Posts
    3,023
    Rep Power
    17

    Default

    Originally posted by frozenrice
    Plans and design $4-5000. Development permit $2-3000, development permit survey $2000, building permit $2500. Asbestos as mentioned above depending on age of house and test results (if house is pre 1980's there will be asbestos of some sort), can run anywhere from $10-40,000. Demolition $15,000. Tree/stump removal if there are trees that can be removed (as allowed by city bylaw). Shoring the ground along the property line (so the dirt from the neighbour's house doesn't collapse into your excavated hole) will run about $300 lineal foot. If it's a really old neighbourhood, then you'll likely need to renew underground sewer and water services to the tune of around $20,000 +/-. ATCO might be around $3000 if the gas line needs to be redone/relocated. Electrical services if overhead will typically cost more for electrician to hook up for temp services. Some cases, you may also need to provide hoarding (in the sense of road/safety barriers). Security/safety fencing rentals will cost about $200/month (required for insurance/liability) - add a few extra bucks a month if you have any existing tress that the city requires protection on. Site toilet rentals, $100/month. Landscaping can cost anywhere from $10,000 to $50,000. Detached garage $20-30,000.
    Sounds like you've done this before.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Calgary
    My Ride
    Ford F150
    Posts
    3,343
    Rep Power
    19

    Default

    Kinda on same topic.

    Is there luxury or inner city builders that you guys trust over others? And why?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,985
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Yeah Ranger Homes. Family friends, husband and wife both engineers who are nit picky about everything, have a network of solid trades guys after letting go of a bunch who's quality of work just wasn't there. She designs and he project manages.
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Cowtown
    My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5
    Posts
    5,985
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    Originally posted by kkkat
    Sorry to highjack here. I am also looking to do an ~2500sf infill as well. Inner city 43'x120' lot. $400/sf seems unbelievable. Hope that's for really high end construction.

    Is there a reason why people aren't building infills with front attached garages? I have yet to see one in the Capitol hill/Mt. pleasant/tuxedo areas.
    Alley space is probably a big reason. A guess would be that they don't want the cookie cutter design of the burbs. Ironically though, the infill duplex design is getting more boring from the outside and played out. At least the entire block doesn't look exactly the same like the burbs?
    Follow me on Instagram and Facebook!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Calgary, Alberta
    My Ride
    90 DB1, 03 RL1, 07 YK1
    Posts
    2,596
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Originally posted by TomcoPDR


    Sounds like you've done this before.
    Once or twice

    Calgary is so much like an iphone: iCalgary - There's a bylaw for that.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Newer Infill Basement Framing Cost / Recommendations

    By Celica TVS3 in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 7
    Latest Threads: 02-13-2014, 10:46 AM
  2. Building an Infill - a couple of questions

    By nzwasp in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 24
    Latest Threads: 03-14-2012, 09:01 AM
  3. Cost of building an infill

    By Euro_Trash in forum Home and Garden
    Replies: 21
    Latest Threads: 09-07-2011, 08:52 AM
  4. New Home - inspector cost, lawyer cost

    By cannondale1 in forum Real Estate / Finance
    Replies: 5
    Latest Threads: 11-16-2009, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •