Quantcast
RIP Paul Walker - Page 9 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Paul Walker

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by C_Dave45

On a completely different side note (didn't feel like starting a thread).....
    The other day I'm driving around with my son and he says out of the blue when he saw some idiot driver; "I wonder what snowcat would do".

I barely even acknowledged what he said and then it hit me..."Wait, what...WHO?" My son is not a forum user at all. He loves his hockey, facebook, twitter and youtube. That's it.
    "Snowcat. I follow him on youtube" He says nonchalantly.
    "How do you know who he is?" I asked.
    "I just was searching "road rage" and his videos came up. I follow him all the time. He's awesome!".

So there ya go, snowcat...you have a faithful fan!
    Haha that's awesome.

Good to know the keywords work :P
    Last edited by snowcat; 12-03-2013 at 11:58 AM.

Originally posted by Moonracer
    Hmmmm has anyone mentioned the white dome lane markers on the road? After reading the warning Porsche sent to the dealers when the car first came out about how low the car is and how you couldn't even drive over a speed bump without damaging the undercarriage. Even a dip in the road or a slight lip in the pavement could send you out of control if you're not careful. Maybe those protruding lane markers had something to do with it.
    It is true that the average speed bump is a shade too tall if you take it straight on but please don't speculate on dips and lane markers if you've never driven one.

This car demands smooth inputs at all times. You get into trouble when you deviate from that. When unmodified and driven correctly the car is incredible and very stable. It is not a widow maker or axe murderer unless you decide you are going to film the next instalment of Tax The Rich.
    Last edited by 483hp; 12-03-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Originally posted by 483hp

It is true that the average speed bump is a shade too tall if you take it straight on but please don't speculate on dips and lane markers if you've never driven one.

This car demands smooth inputs at all times. You get into trouble when you deviate from that. When unmodified and driven correctly the car is incredible and very stable. It is not a widow maker or axe murderer unless you decide you are going to film the next instalment of Tax The Rich.
    I'm not speculating on these points, that's basically what porsche sent out in their letter to the dealers.

edit: the points they warned of are common of many high performance street/race cars. I'm not saying there is something inherently wrong with the design of the car itself.
    Last edited by Moonracer; 12-03-2013 at 01:05 PM.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snap_oversteer

Hit corner too hard, drifted it a bit and got car sideways. Tried to correct this by letting off the throttle. Car snap oversteer'd like a mid engined beast.

He's a seasoned race car driver. This is why no skid marks, he was trying to steer it out rather than brake.

Driver wasn't used to this car, I read it was rarely driven and sat in the shop.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/l...#axzz2mRnTCvxP

Cops ruled out fluid leak theory, as well as street racing, no other cars around.

As for the letter, those warnings are to ensure that dealers don't fuck up the car prior to delivery to owners, or it would be an expensive fix.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    05 GDB V.8 / ZX10R / T1-7L

So throttled in too much, and then lifted off too fast causing the car to pitch.

At any rate, Walker and Rodas will be missed.
    Anyone who ever shared any type of emotion with the FnF franchise is truly saddened by this event.

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

Hello 483hp,

I thought I might mention to the crowd that since you own one it might place a little more weight to your comments before the rest of the internet tries to explain it to you - although the results would probably be entertaining.

I think 3-4 other Beyonders have them too.

The accident seems pretty simple and sounds remarkably similar to how I hit the wall with my racecar earlier this year.

On the track it hits the wall and you jumpout in a bad mood, on the street the result is a lot different.

Race car drivers or not - sometimes the margin for error is not what you think and sometimes you just plain get caught out. My car rotated and hit the wall in such a short period of time that there were no skid marks and the telemetry showed the steering wheel had barely started to move by time it was too late. Was I trying to drive it out? I don't think so, by time I felt the slide it was over. I was prepared for the slide and expecting it - still ran out of talent. Fortunately it was just some fibreglass.

As a climbing instructor said to me many years ago - 'go carefully lads, one single moment is enough to make one dead for ones whole life'

Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by milesmcewing; 12-03-2013 at 04:50 PM.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by milesmcewing
    I think 3-4 other Beyonders have them too.
    I believe we're down to 2 owners here now. A couple have been sold.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

Off topic but - We were sitting here figuring out how many were in Calgary and we could name 17 or 18 that we knew of.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Your memory is better than mine. I lost track of local Enzos years ago, and they're more rare haha.

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Are you guys being sarcastic or do we really have them in calgary?

Please don't make fun of me.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

My Ride
    8P 3.2

Originally posted by khanan

I was wondering the same thing that car is pretty rare. They sold 1270 in total, half ended up in North America. That's more the the F1, Enzo and Zonda combined so it's more common than those. We did have an MC12 for a while so I guess a dozen or more GT's is possible. Lots of money here.

Originally posted by khanan

Yes we do... the owner of contemporary coachworks in Calgary parks his black one in the shop all the time.

I've seen a different black one that either lives down in discovery/spring bank area (or drives there all the time...)

And I've seen a silver one 3-4 times, but not sure if it was the same owner or a different one.

My Ride
    Lariat

yes there are a few for sure, seen different black/silver ones driving over over the years. There is a black one parked in my buddies condo parking DT
    _____ASP______

current ski quiver:
    park, all mtn 181 ON3P Kartel 98
    park,all mtn: 181 Armada AR7
    big mtn, pow: 185 Armada JJ

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

I was talking to the owner of one of the black ones...apparently there are 6 black ones alone in Calgary.
    Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 01:09 AM.

Originally posted by 01RedDX
    I also remember distinctly someone in Calgary crashing one some years ago. Wasn't there a thread about it?
    There was one that hit the ditch on Symons Valley Road a few years ago.

My Ride
    It's wind powered

WOW, holy shit.

That means I haven't been out a lot, I have seen an enzo, mc12, gallardo, murc, hell even an aventador. But wasn't aware of any cgt's.

6 of them in such a little town is a pretty big deal. Considering the numbers...

Calgary IS pretty rich I guess.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

A CNN video on much of what's been reiterated about the car by fellow members.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/vi...crash.cnn.html

Getting back on topic. If you have a momentary lapse in judgement in a CGT and tap the throttle sharply the back end will swing around at under 60 kph if the wheels aren't pointed straight ahead. You don't have to be going fast. Just doing something dumb. In a mid engine car with a lot of grip the rotation can be big and it is immediate with very little warning.

Everyone should learn a few lessons on the skid pad. It was highly educational for me to understand and experience how little it takes to do a 180 as well as practice over 50x to get control back.

According to the news Paul Walker had never been in a CGT before so they went for a short drive. In my opinion, the driver had a momentary lapse of judgement to add some extra thrills. As Miles pointed out it only takes a split second for a bad idea to become permanent. Very high probability that it was 100% driver error and made a lot worse with way too much speed.

I don't understand how the fire could have started. That is what I am most interested in. The fuel tank is very well protected by the carbon tub. The undertray below is sculpted so raking something below the car in that area should not harm the fuel tank.

Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 ... LastLast