Quantcast
RIP Paul Walker - Page 10 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: RIP Paul Walker

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

It looks like that point of impact was where the rear of the car connects to the front tub, resulting in the car splitting in half. The fuel tank sits between the engine and the back of the front tub, and if it splits in that area there's a high chance that it can get ruptured.

Unfortunately, due to costs savings on the CGT project, it's just a fuel tank and not a fuel bladder, which could explain the fire.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    17 Civic HB Sport

RIP
    What kind of birdhouse can you build with popsicles, roofies, and a rubber mallet?
    "It's for a rare African bird called "none your business."
    Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE
    If you were straight I'd eat you like a BLT sandwich with extra Bacon. And I fucking LOVE bacon.

My Ride
    3.0L Of pure turbocharged testosterone

Link removed. I would like to apologize to the beyond community for posting this. It indeed was nothing but a scam. I hope few of you clicked the link.

my bad, once again, sorry.
    Last edited by sr20s14zenki; 12-05-2013 at 05:39 PM.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Anybody read this?

http://modernwomandigest.com/five-re...l-walker-dead/

What the fuck..........discuss.

Oh and to add to that...i'll just leave this here....

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Adora...36406829916179
    "Adora Bull is an American semi-amateur journalist, alternative model and national spokeswoman for Goths For Christ."

Not much to discuss, lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Originally posted by rage2
    It looks like that point of impact was where the rear of the car connects to the front tub, resulting in the car splitting in half. The fuel tank sits between the engine and the back of the front tub, and if it splits in that area there's a high chance that it can get ruptured.

Unfortunately, due to costs savings on the CGT project, it's just a fuel tank and not a fuel bladder, which could explain the fire.
    Wait.... cost saving?

The more I read about how the CGT is made for track and how delicate it is on public roads. It seems to me that a lot of corners were cut to make this car actually road legal...

But cost saving on a grand project like this thing seems like shoddy engineering if nothing else.
    Happiness starts at 3000 rpm.

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Originally posted by 483hp
    Getting back on topic. If you have a momentary lapse in judgement in a CGT and tap the throttle sharply the back end will swing around at under 60 kph if the wheels aren't pointed straight ahead. You don't have to be going fast. Just doing something dumb. In a mid engine car with a lot of grip the rotation can be big and it is immediate with very little warning.

Everyone should learn a few lessons on the skid pad. It was highly educational for me to understand and experience how little it takes to do a 180 as well as practice over 50x to get control back.

According to the news Paul Walker had never been in a CGT before so they went for a short drive. In my opinion, the driver had a momentary lapse of judgement to add some extra thrills. As Miles pointed out it only takes a split second for a bad idea to become permanent. Very high probability that it was 100% driver error and made a lot worse with way too much speed.

I don't understand how the fire could have started. That is what I am most interested in. The fuel tank is very well protected by the carbon tub. The undertray below is sculpted so raking something below the car in that area should not harm the fuel tank.
    It must feel good to have driven one lol

but if you look at the pictures, the front is fairly undamaged, aside from the impact of the crash. It looks like the fire started from the back/midpoint of the car... Could it be that the engine itself somehow caught fire? Leaking internals? and it might have needed a little crash to set it all off.

Generally speaking in a crash with cars like this, the tub (with the fuel) is designed to separate from the engine. In this case it didn't. You can still see the carbon engine cradle attached to the back wall of the tub in these pics.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shed-pole.html

It looks like the car hit the light standard on the drivers side of the tub where he was sitting. It is twisted open on the driver's side when it came to rest. In the pic with the officers you can see the CF fire wall and what looks like the torn fuel tank from the driver's side in front of it.

The fuel tank is heavily protected by the tub in this area as per this diagram.
    http://www.jimellisporscheparts.com/...category=20120

What are the chances to strike the tub with a light standard in the precise location of the fuel tank when both are so narrow? A few inches to the rear and they probably would have cracked the car in half and survived.
    Last edited by 483hp; 12-03-2013 at 10:49 PM.

My Ride
    It's wind powered

Originally posted by 483hp
    Generally speaking in a crash with cars like this, the tub (with the fuel) is designed to separate from the engine. In this case it didn't. You can still see the carbon engine cradle attached to the back wall of the tub in these pics.
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...shed-pole.html

It looks like the car hit the light standard on the drivers side of the tub where he was sitting. It is twisted open on the driver's side when it came to rest. In the pic with the officers you can see the CF fire wall and what looks like the torn fuel tank from the driver's side in front of it.

The fuel tank is heavily protected by the tub in this area as per this diagram.
    http://www.jimellisporscheparts.com/...category=20120

What are the chances to strike the tub with a light standard in the precise location of the fuel tank when both are so narrow? A few inches to the rear and they probably would have cracked the car in half and survived.

Ah, I see.

might have been something like this?

1. is where the first impact was, it most likely hit the pole that is shown in numerous picture which has the 45 mph sign on it.

2. is the final impact with the tree/irrigation pipe.

So, the fuel tank was in the original elipse behind the driver and passenger but from the picture it seems that it was moved to the side of the left rear wheel... maybe that is the part of carbon fiber that goes over the engine bay.

I also heard that porsche use an aluminium cage/cover to secure their fuel tanks, was that only in 911s?? or is that just another misconception?

Originally posted by sr20s14zenki
    Anybody read this?

What the fuck..........discuss.
    I refuse to give her, or Modern Women Digest, the pageviews. Sharing that link is the entire purpose of the article.

My Ride
    3.5L 7th Gen Accord

Originally posted by Mibz
    I refuse to give her, or Modern Women Digest, the pageviews. Sharing that link is the entire purpose of the article.
    http://modernwomandigest.com/adora-b...s-paul-walker/

Jeez

My Ride

Apparently there are also conspiracy theories looming around as the "secret society" didn't want him helping (man made) natural disaster victims

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by triplep

http://modernwomandigest.com/adora-b...s-paul-walker/

Jeez
    Such a conflicted person. The "Goth" side of her wants to kill herself, but the "for Christ" part wants to turn the other cheek
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

Originally posted by khanan
    1. is where the first impact was, it most likely hit the pole that is shown in numerous picture which has the 45 mph sign on it.
    I would say it was somewhere between the back of the seat and the roll hoop based on the intact parts of the cabin

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Originally posted by khanan
    Wait.... cost saving?

The more I read about how the CGT is made for track and how delicate it is on public roads. It seems to me that a lot of corners were cut to make this car actually road legal...

But cost saving on a grand project like this thing seems like shoddy engineering if nothing else.
    I should've worded things a bit better. The CGT wasn't your typical loss leader supercar, it was a project with profitability in mind, unlike the Veyron or LF-A that loses money on each one sold. In order to do that, compromises has to be made. The car was designed from scratch, but reused a lot of engineering from the racing programs which helped lower R&D costs.

This doesn't mean that the CGT is an unsafe car. The location of the fuel tank is heavily protected against front and rear impacts. A side impact would open up the risk of exposing the fuel tank. Sure a fuel bladder might have stopped a fire from starting, but it's not a guarantee either.

From the videos, the car crashed, and the fire didn't start for 60 seconds. Witnesses at the scene trying to put out the fire have stated that both were unresponsive even as the fire was going. The 2 were still strapped into their seatbelts. I have no doubt that they were dead before the fire.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

A lot of discussion is being centered around the fuel tank. Don't forget that this car will have twin high pressure fuel pumps. Even in a crash which should shut them off, residual pressure from the fuel rail could still spray fuel onto hot surfaces igniting the car easily.

Ever throw gasoline on a fire? does not take much to get a fireball going.

One of the private 'racer' forums I spend time on had quite a lot of impact information and a lot of other photos. The car was broken on an earlier tree and pole, the one in all the news photos was where it ended up. if it missed that tree it would have rolled over an embankment into a parking lot.

Looking from above - it looks like a classic case of off-throttle oversteer there is a 90 degree corner leading to the straight part of the road - second gear, heavy throttle back out and it would spear directly towards the pole.

Not far from the racetrack at willow springs......

Here are two links;
    Map of area: The first pole they hit is the one marked 35mph. Note that it is a concrete pole, not a breakaway pole like we use here.
    http://goo.gl/maps/5ClnK

Warning; There are some nasty pictures in here:
    http://s1099.photobucket.com/user/Li....FyLj0DTG.sfju
    Last edited by milesmcewing; 12-04-2013 at 04:20 PM.

euroracer posted the map link in the first page if you actually read the entire thread.

Don't really need to see death photos.

My Ride
    Freightliners, Van Diemen, Porsches, URAL!

Did read. The link you refer to is actually on page two, and a different view.

I warned you about the pictures. Don't look.

My Ride
    Car

Originally posted by LadyLuck
    Am I crazy for being slightly offended at the number of camera's recording things like this? It seems pretty insensitive that all these people are just there to get the best footage and probably, truthfully don't even care about the victim... Maybe I'm crazy and maybe it's because you can tell Tyrese just wants to mourn his friends death in peace, but this really bugs me.

My Ride
    A Pearl Diamond

Originally posted by milesmcewing
    Did read. The link you refer to is actually on page two, and a different view.

I warned you about the pictures. Don't look.
    You can't really tell that those are bodys in the last photo outlining where they are. If they were burnt complety who is in the stretchers cause it appears to be a fully intact body?

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 ... LastLast