Quantcast
Frontline: Inside the Meltdown - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Frontline: Inside the Meltdown

Default Frontline: Inside the Meltdown

Did anyone else catch this on Frontline last night? Informative take on the sub-prime market and the resulting collapse of the US financial market.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meltdown/view/

On Thursday, Sept. 18, 2008, the astonished leadership of the U.S. Congress was told in a private session by the chairman of the Federal Reserve that the American economy was in grave danger of a complete meltdown within a matter of days. "There was literally a pause in that room where the oxygen left," says Sen. Christopher Dodd (D-Conn.).

As the housing bubble burst and trillions of dollars' worth of toxic mortgages began to go bad in 2007, fear spread through the massive firms that form the heart of Wall Street. By the spring of 2008, burdened by billions of dollars of bad mortgages, the investment bank Bear Stearns was the subject of rumors that it would soon fail.

"Rumors are such that they can just plain put you out of business," Bear Stearns' former CEO Alan "Ace" Greenberg tells FRONTLINE.

The company's stock had dropped from $171 to $57 a share, and it was hours from declaring bankruptcy. Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke acted. "It was clear that this had to be contained. There was no doubt in his mind," says Bernanke's colleague, economist Mark Gertler.

Bernanke, a former economics professor from Princeton, specialized in studying the Great Depression. "He more than anybody else appreciated what would happen if it got out of control," Gertler explains.

To stabilize the markets, Bernanke engineered a shotgun marriage between Bear Sterns and the commercial bank JPMorgan, with a promise that the federal government would use $30 billion to cover Bear Stearns' questionable assets tied to toxic mortgages. It was an unprecedented effort to stop the contagion of fear that seemed to be threatening the rest of Wall Street.

While publicly supportive of the deal, Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson, a former Wall Street executive with Goldman Sachs, was uncomfortable with government interference in the markets. That summer, he issued a warning to his former colleagues not to expect future government bailouts, saying he was concerned about a legal concept known as moral hazard.

Within months, however, Paulson would witness the virtual collapse of the giant mortgage companies Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and preside over their takeover by the federal government.

The episode sent shockwaves through the economy as confidence in Wall Street began to evaporate. Within days, in September 2008, another investment bank, Lehman Brothers, was on the brink of collapse. Once again, there were calls for Bernanke and Paulson to bail out the Wall Street giant. But Paulson was under intense political pressure from conservative Republicans in Washington to invoke moral hazard and let the company fail.

"You had a conservative secretary of the Treasury and conservative administration. There was right-wing criticism over Bear Stearns," says Congressman Barney Frank (D-Mass.), chairman of the House Financial Services Committee.

Paulson pushed Lehman's CEO Dick Fuld to find a buyer for his ailing company. But no company would buy Lehman unless the government offered a deal similar to the one Bear Stearns had received. Paulson refused, and Lehman Brothers declared bankruptcy.

FRONTLINE then chronicles the disaster that followed. Within 24 hours, the stock market crashed, and credit markets around the world froze. "We're no longer talking about mortgages," says economist Gertler. "We're talking about car loans, loans to small businesses, commercial paper borrowing by large banks. This is like a disease spreading."

"I think that the secretary of the Treasury could not fully comprehend what that linkage was and the extent to which this would materialize into problems," says former Lehman board member Henry Kaufman.

Paulson was thunderstruck. "This is the utter nightmare of an economic policy-maker," Nobel Prize-winning economist Paul Krugman tells FRONTLINE. "You may have just made the decision that destroyed the world. Absolutely terrifying moment."

In response, Paulson and Bernanke would propose -- and Congress would eventually pass -- a $700 billion bailout plan. FRONTLINE goes inside the deliberations surrounding the passage of the legislation and examines its unsuccessful implementation.

"Many Americans still don't understand what has happened to the economy," FRONTLINE producer/director Michael Kirk says. "How did it all go so bad so quickly? Who is responsible? How effective has the response from Washington and Wall Street been? Those are the questions at the heart of Inside the Meltdown."
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    240sx with SR

I watched it, it was informative...but made me sleepy.

My Ride
    firebird

Awesome I will have to watch this- great program.

Also, CNBC had another documentary called House of Cards, which I also recommend.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Originally posted by Mckenzie
    Awesome I will have to watch this- great program.

Also, CNBC had another documentary called House of Cards, which I also recommend.
    Searched CNBC and couldn't find a link to that vid. If you have one, can you post it up? Interested in seeing it as well.
    heloc that shit

My Ride
    firebird

Hmm not sure if it is online yet. I know it aired on CNBC Monday night so keep checking.

I will let you know if I find it.
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies. If the American people ever allow private banks to control the issue of their currency, first by inflation, then by deflation, the banks and corporations that will grow up around the banks will deprive the people of all property until their children wake-up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered."
    -Thomas Jefferson 1802

Major bump.

My main viewing genre is documentaries, and I found this series on Netflix. It's similar to The Fifth Estate.

I've watched about 4 or 5 random episodes, and if you're into documentaries, it's a must watch.

I haven't yet made it through the Vatican episode though, as it's so truthful and depressing.

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Yeah frontline kicks ass, been watching a lot on netflix as well.

My proverbial rant.

I find it painful to witness the indoctrination of adults, and especially kids.

What is called an "education system", is a farce, as no critical thinking skills are taught.

Programs like this should be mandatory viewing for education. But wait, "The Catcher in the Rye", biased history, Algebra, take precedence over, "How the fuck am I going to make it through life".

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Interestingly enough, there are a couple articles popping up about how the oil industry is in the exact same position as the housing industry was, including the banks.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Who or what entity does this mainstream documentary tell you was responsible for the housing crash?

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by Arash Boodagh
    Who or what entity does this mainstream documentary tell you was responsible for the housing crash?
    ZioAmericans and/or the Jews
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Seth1968
    My proverbial rant.

I find it painful to witness the indoctrination of adults, and especially kids.

What is called an "education system", is a farce, as no critical thinking skills are taught.

Programs like this should be mandatory viewing for education. But wait, "The Catcher in the Rye", biased history, Algebra, take precedence over, "How the fuck am I going to make it through life".
    So, you have no critical thinking skills, a strong grasp of algebra, and fond memories of The Catcher in the Rye? That explains a lot!

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Originally posted by codetrap
    So, you have no critical thinking skills, a strong grasp of algebra, and fond memories of The Catcher in the Rye? That explains a lot!
    Plesae elaborate.

Oh wait. You cant.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by Seth1968

Plesae elaborate.

Oh wait. You cant.
    You're right, I can't! I have no critical thinking skills either lol

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

My Ride
    '03 ep3

Is Frontline available on Canadian or American Netflix?

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Probably both, I have Canadian and it's on there.

S and P. Joe Cassano. Goldman Sachs. AIG. JP Morgan. Chase. And a lot of the big banks.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Thanks.
    We have tent cities across north America now and the 700 billion bail out went to the same kind of corporations.
    So where did all that wealth go or did the documentary omit that part?

Thanks.
    We have tent cities across north America now and the 700 billion bail out went to the same kind of corporations.
    So where did all that wealth go or did the documentary omit that part?
    Listen, you fucking monkey. If you went ahead and actually did what you say you do so much of, you’d lead your own research or seek out other people’s work which would tell you.
    The government paid 700B through 2 tiers to those banks in order for them to lend it out. Those banks subsequently did NOT lend it out, but kept that money in reserve, invested it, and then paid that money back less the gains that were made of the nest egg. They were in fact FORCED to take it from the gov’t.
    The “bailout” was not just giving the banks cash and walking away. It was a loan. A low interest loan which some of those banks paid back.
    Originally posted by ZenOps
    I say we slow down the spinning of the earth so that there is 25 hours in the day.

Join me.

My Ride
    Nissan 300zx (1990 na)

Originally posted by R154

Listen, you fucking monkey. If you went ahead and actually did what you say you do so much of, you’d lead your own research or seek out other people’s work which would tell you.
    The government paid 700B through 2 tiers to those banks in order for them to lend it out. Those banks subsequently did NOT lend it out, but kept that money in reserve, invested it, and then paid that money back less the gains that were made of the nest egg. They were in fact FORCED to take it from the gov’t.
    The “bailout” was not just giving the banks cash and walking away. It was a loan. A low interest loan which some of those banks paid back.
    Im the monkey? I know where all the money went. Im just trying to make people realize how much of a sheeple crowd they are to think this documentary actually has any merit.
    Now that people across the states are ever the poorer, and European austerity is at its highest with Britain looking like a 3rd world nation. Where did all that stolen wealth go R154 since you hint at knowing more then all of us here.

http://www.presstv.ir/Detail/2014/12...-to-eat-enough
    Millions facing malnourishment
    "The official data published by The Independent on Sunday showed that the poorest 10 percent in the UK, some 6.4 million people including children, ate less than the average guideline rate of about 2,080 calories per day."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast