Quantcast
Need help, Gas fireplace pilot light won't stay on. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need help, Gas fireplace pilot light won't stay on.

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Cool Need help, Gas fireplace pilot light won't stay on.

Got home today and the wife told me that our fireplace stop working. I tried to turn it on but noticed that the pilot light will light up for a minute and shuts off after 2-3 minutes. Tried to google some ways to fix it but not really sure on what to do since I've never done it before and I'm scared that I will burn the house down. LOL

Need help ASAP because it's in the lower level of the house where my kids play. Willing to buy you beer or pay $.

Pm me if you can help me out. I'm free anytime of the day and live in the country hills area.

TIA beyond!

If fireplaces are anything like furnaces (which I assume they are) you likely have a bad/dirty thermocouple. It's a little metal probe that sits where the pilot flame is an 'detects' the flame. If you can get in there you can try to clean it up with some fine grit sandpaper/steel wool and if that fails you can just buy a new one for $10 or so. Google 'cleaning fireplace thermocouple' and you should find some guides/pictures that will help you find where your thermocouple is.
    Last edited by jonsey737; 12-04-2013 at 01:59 AM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Probably thermocouple as mentioned. Hopefully just cleaning it will do the trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

You won't burn the house down cleaning the thermocouple.
    Depending where it is, you won't even need to remove it, just rub it down with the steel wool or fine grit sandpaper that jonsey mentioned.

Turn off the fireplace gas valve underneath before starting. Do your work and then do the relighting procedure.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Originally posted by mr2mike
    You won't burn the house down cleaning the thermocouple.
    Depending where it is, you won't even need to remove it, just rub it down with the steel wool or fine grit sandpaper that jonsey mentioned.

Turn off the fireplace gas valve underneath before starting. Do your work and then do the relighting procedure.
    +1. I just did this on my furnace. Took about 30 seconds.

My Ride
    ralli///art, 09 zx6r

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Tried to clean it like you guys suggested but that didn't work. I might have to replace the thermocouple. Went to Canadian tire and they didn't have one. Will try home depot tomorrow.

Still looking for help if you live close by.

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

If cleaning the thermocouple doesn't work then replace it. If that doesn't fix it then the next part to replace is the gas valve which is not good news

Have you watched the flame - is the thermocouple sitting properly in the hot part of the flame? Perhaps things have shifted over time and it is not being kept hot enough? Is there a breeze in the fireplace blowing the flame away from the thermocouple?
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    X7 40i, Cayenne S, 335i Cab

Bump! Pretty sure I need to replace mine in my gas fireplace. Where can I find the thermocoupler local? Looking at home depot online they only have ones for gas furnace ?

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Last edited by dj_rice; 06-20-2017 at 09:53 PM.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

Does anyone know what is needed to convert the fireplace to pilotless?

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Hey, not sure if my issue is thermocouple or what. I have one fireplace that lights up fine, pilot is good. Once it's been running ten minutes or so it goes out, then lights back up with a "whump" which tells me the gas is still flowing. It's acting how I would expect it to act if it was blowing out from wind, but that's not it as it has done it multiple times on wind less days.

Thoughts on where to start?
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hey, not sure if my issue is thermocouple or what. I have one fireplace that lights up fine, pilot is good. Once it's been running ten minutes or so it goes out, then lights back up with a "whump" which tells me the gas is still flowing. It's acting how I would expect it to act if it was blowing out from wind, but that's not it as it has done it multiple times on wind less days.

Thoughts on where to start?
    The fireplace in our house when we bought it had a very similar problem. We had the sellers pay to have it fixed so I didn’t know first hand what the problem was.

I will take a look through our purchase docs though I’m fairly certain we were given a copy of the repair bill.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Anyone have further thoughts on this?

My Ride
    '91 MR2 Turbo + '13 Tacoma

I am assuming its controlled by a wall switch? If so next time is goes out, try tapping on the wall plate and see if it lights right away. Report back with what you find.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by TRD_YOTA View Post
    I am assuming its controlled by a wall switch? If so next time is goes out, try tapping on the wall plate and see if it lights right away. Report back with what you find.
    Hey, since this is an intermittent problem, it took a while, but yeah, wiggling the switch did make it light back up again. So, replacing the wall switch should help? I know the fireplace guy told me decora switches were unreliable, so I have an old school toggle switch in there. Is there a better quality switch I should seek out?

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    Hey, since this is an intermittent problem, it took a while, but yeah, wiggling the switch did make it light back up again. So, replacing the wall switch should help? I know the fireplace guy told me decora switches were unreliable, so I have an old school toggle switch in there. Is there a better quality switch I should seek out?
    Are the wires all secured tightly to their respective terminals on said switch?
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Quote Originally Posted by TRD_YOTA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speedog View Post
    Are the wires all secured tightly to their respective terminals on said switch?
    It did seem to be a switch issue, so I replaced my $3 15A toggle switch with a $9 20A toggle switch. That thing seem to have a more positive engagement, so hopefully that does it. The wires were all tight to the old switch.

Anyone know why gas fireplaces seem to be so picky about switches? This seems to be kind of common, but any old junk switch works fine for everything else in a house. Doesn't make any sense to me.

My Ride
    Jeep of Theseus

Huh, your fireplace's pilot light is controlled by a wall switch? Our fireplace wall switch only controls the fan, the pilot light is just run off the gas valve, like a water heater.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Not the pilot, the main gas valve. No fan on this model.

My Ride
    Trucks

A cheap switch is detrimental to low voltage whereas the same switch on 120v will keep connecting until it tries to burn the house down.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast