Quantcast
Received E-transfer then the sender claimed it was fraud and locked my bank accnt! - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Received E-transfer then the sender claimed it was fraud and locked my bank accnt!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Default Received E-transfer then the sender claimed it was fraud and locked my bank accnt!

Looking for some help from beyond. Today I received an e-transfer from someone online for selling two bitcoins through localbitcoins.com. Everything went find but then I find my bank account has been locked and when I phone the hotline I am told that I need to go into the branch in person.

I go into the bank and now they're saying my account has been flagged for fraud because the sender claimed the transfer was fraudulent and has now locked all my accounts, debit card, credit card, everything.

I spoke with the guy there and he seemed fairly helpful, he explained that typically they would terminate the account but I had sufficient explanation and information that he though it was legitimate.

Unfortunately my account is still frozen until they sort it out, but apparently interac is going to withdraw the money regardless from my account and send it back to the sender. I don't understand how this can even happen, the whole point of e-transfers are they aren't reversible.

Has anyone had this happen before? What do I do? I tried calling Interac but they are closed, going to try again tomorrow.

Update:
    Everything finally got cleared up, just took a bit of time. TD Bank manager was really pleasant to deal with and very helpful throughout the whole ordeal.

It seems the other party had their account info phished and as a result someone wiped out their account buying things online and such
    Last edited by pheoxs; 12-16-2013 at 02:13 PM.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Relevant thread here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/376902/ar...rs-reversible/

edit: I see you posted in that thread as well

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by 88CRX
    Relevant thread here:

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/376902/ar...rs-reversible/

edit: I see you posted in that thread as well
    Yeah, turns out I was mistaken and their site is crap.

Now I have no way to access any of my funds despite this etransfer being ~1/10th of whats sitting in my chequing account. I can't even use my credit card wtf.

That's pretty f*ked up... good thing you have proof but still can't believe they locked all your accounts.

My Ride
    4x4

Must be royal bank?

They really don't like bitcoins... Say bitcoin get locked with them - at least according to redditors...

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by AndyL
    Must be royal bank?

They really don't like bitcoins... Say bitcoin get locked with them - at least according to redditors...
    TD

The guy I spoke to at the branch says things should be resolved since I sent multiple screenshots of the conversation and transaction but interac will likely withdraw the money from my account and I'm SOL and have to deal with the buyer directly.

I never knew they froze all your accounts. I'd almost rather use Paypal in the future. At least they just take the money and call it a day. Hope this works out for you.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

Did you get your bitcoins back?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by rumeo
    Did you get your bitcoins back?
    Neither as of yet. Waiting until tomorrow to contact Interac to see what they say. Submitted a ticket to localbitcoins explaining the situation and asking them to freeze the funds but I'm willing to bet the second the guy got the money he withdrew them.

At the end of the day I think I'm SOL and out 2k$ as well as now my bank account has been flagged for fraud and banned from using e-transfers permanently according to what the bank rep said.

I don't understand it though. Even if its a hacked bank account why am I being punished? If you give your login info to a buddy, he sends me a e-transfer, then you say nope wasn't me, you get the money back and I'm the one that gets black flagged permenantly???

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

I'm with TD as well and love them, but if this is the situation they're giving you and if they don't resolve it properly, I would switch banks.

My Ride
    Civic CX, Mazda Protege

I'm with TD as well and love them, but if this is the situation they're giving you and if they don't resolve it properly, I would switch banks.

My Ride
    Has either 2 or 4 wheels

It is sh*t like this that I was worried about when selling bitcoin. This is partially why I only sold a small amount as a test to see the market for it, and why I got cash in person.

Sorry about your luck Pheoxs. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it turns out.
    Signature..... I ate it!!

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by quick_scar
    It is sh*t like this that I was worried about when selling bitcoin. This is partially why I only sold a small amount as a test to see the market for it, and why I got cash in person.

Sorry about your luck Pheoxs. I will be keeping an eye on this thread to see how it turns out.

Yeah no kidding. Ffs I hope I get my account released tomorrow. Really concerned that this will permanently flag my account and screw me over for insurance / mortgage down the road

Talk to a branch manager and then switch banks. Take it all the way up to the CEO if you have to cuz that's absolutely retarded.

My Ride
    rally pig

Sucks to hear man, this is why I posted on the previous thread never to do any EMT business unless you know the person, it is reversible (paypal is too unless you protect yourself).
    But I didn't know that you would be flagged, banned in this kind of situations although I can see why they sided against you in your case as you're the one selling virtual goods for real money.

What was the scammers trader rating on localbitcoin and how many transactions did he have in the past?

Where's the fraud? Who cares if it bitcoins or a piece of shit or a wish for a pony for Christmas. Both parties agreed on an exchange, payment was made, done. If he got his stuff and you got paid what's the problem?

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by taemo
    Sucks to hear man, this is why I posted on the previous thread never to do any EMT business unless you know the person, it is reversible (paypal is too unless you protect yourself).
    But I didn't know that you would be flagged, banned in this kind of situations although I can see why they sided against you in your case as you're the one selling virtual goods for real money.

What was the scammers trader rating on localbitcoin and how many transactions did he have in the past?
    4 transactions, 3 month old account, supposedly email and phone verified not that that means much.

Originally posted by Ven
    Where's the fraud? Who cares if it bitcoins or a piece of shit or a wish for a pony for Christmas. Both parties agreed on an exchange, payment was made, done. If he got his stuff and you got paid what's the problem?
    I don't know. Even if it was a hacked bank account, isn't that what the banks insurance covers? Like why should the person that had their account get compromised get off scott free while I've always been super safe with my bank info and I'm the one that gets screwed out of money and my account locked.

My Ride
    Hatred

I would stir up shit with your bank and regardless if they reverse it or not I'd be seriously looking at going elsewhere. Why they aren't standing up for you is beyond me.
    -U

Sorry to hear about you're bad luck. Pains me to read that after you posted you only wanted to sell them locally and in person to avoid this exact situation. I'm still relatively interested in buying one or two from you for cash, in person. I was looking for somewhere to buy them locally a couple weeks ago and did a Kijiji search - apparently there is a shop in Kensington that buys/sells them- not sure if they hose you on each transaction, but if you're looking to offload, it might be worth taking a look at.

Best of luck getting things sorted out.

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by Ven
    May be the buyer is trying to get the money back, scamming op 2 bitcoins?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast