Quantcast
Sport FWD car under $30k? - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3

Thread: Sport FWD car under $30k?

i've heard the fiesta ST is just a blast

Fiesta or Focus ST. Ford has factory modifications available for both of these cars. A true enthusiasts car.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

Not all RWD are created equal, so if you've been reading up on how terrible 2wd pickup trucks are in the winter, realize that a truck's weight balance is horrible; most of the weight rides on the front axle. A car like the FRS/BRZ is not so bad, it has a slight bias to the front, which will help with turn in. Combine this near 50/50 weight balance with a proper LSD and some good tires, you will have a fun winter. Other option is, buy the cheapest FWD you can afford so you can start saving back up for a true enthusiasts car, a RWD.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

Originally posted by Kardon
    Not all RWD are created equal, so if you've been reading up on how terrible 2wd pickup trucks are in the winter, realize that a truck's weight balance is horrible; most of the weight rides on the front axle. A car like the FRS/BRZ is not so bad, it has a slight bias to the front, which will help with turn in. Combine this near 50/50 weight balance with a proper LSD and some good tires, you will have a fun winter. Other option is, buy the cheapest FWD you can afford so you can start saving back up for a true enthusiasts car, a RWD.
    Holy shit, haven't seen you in like 2 years.

My Ride
    Accord 6-6, Tacoma

For that kind of money, you could look at awd Subura imprezza models.
    Honda/Acura guy

Originally posted by Deetz
    For that kind of money, you could look at awd Subura imprezza models.
    the n/a models are so awful to drive

Get a newer nissan sentra spec v, the qr25 is a solid engine and it comes with a hlsd in the 6 speed, you could get something with little mileage for 20k ish

The biggest problem with RWD, in my experience, is uphill starts. But since traction control now exists, except for trucks with no weight in the back, would FWD really have much of an advantage?

That said, I only buy AWD for winter commuting and put on snow tires, because Canada.

Originally posted by dexlargo
    The biggest problem with RWD, in my experience, is uphill starts. But since traction control now exists, except for trucks with no weight in the back, would FWD really have much of an advantage?

That said, I only buy AWD for winter commuting and put on snow tires, because Canada.
    ^ True, uphill starts are not the most fun in RWD, but not much better in a FWD.

The problem I find with modern traction control is that if both rear (or front) wheels are on ice uphill, then all you are doing when you press the gas pedal is asking the traction control to cut back your power and apply brakes to your drive wheels because it detects spinning. Doesn't help you move unless you have AWD (because the traction control then has somewhere to send the power to.)

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Wait for the new Speed3, should be awesome. Quite the wait though.

Fiesta/Focus ST are great no doubt...Fiesta ST especially, for the money.

The Sentra is ugly as balls and I'm not impressed one bit with Nissan products other than Maxima, 370z, and GT-R of course. Everything else I've driven by them is an uninspiring utter POS.

Civic Si is getting more torque by the year, but still remains at that incredibly boring number of 201 for hp. Hopefully North America sees some of that epic Honda turbo action...and soon.

GTi is due for MK7

Acura ILX is actually pretty nice, took up where the first gen TSX left off...just black out the beak and it looks pretty damn good too.

Dart SRT needs to come out...otherwise from the endless trims I've driven so far (SE, SXT, Aero, Rallye, 2.4L Multi-Air, GT) it's awful and they actually command a $30k price tag for some of them. So far the highest trim is the GT and has 184hp/174lb-ft using a turbo...but that's still a 30k Neon...you could get the ILX for that money, or better yet the tried and true Civic Si. Or better-better yet, $22k for the Fiesta ST...a $30k Dodge Fart Vs a $22k Fiesta ST...the ST wins by far.

Last one I can think of, the turbo Chevy Sonic is a joke.

If I were to stick with RWD then, would anyone not recommend a used or new mustang? I really like the current version, and with the new version coming next year, I'd probably be able to get a base 2012 V6 for < $20k (meaning I'd be able to save ~$10k compared to the BRZ), and a new one will probably also have good rebates...

I will do a TD on all four (Mustang, BRZ, Fiesta/Focus ST) anyway, I'm just wondering what is the opinion of everyone.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

I have driven RWD all my life, until recently. I agree that RWD is fine in the snow; however, in what I thought would surely get stuck - the FWD just plowed right over no problems.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Originally posted by tehwegz
    Hopefully North America sees some of that epic Honda turbo action...and soon.
    Hoping for a Turbo Honda is akin for expecting to come home and find your house filled with pots of gold.... not happening.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    is Turbocharged.

if you're looking to save money , get a dart! they are a blast to drive and handle really well in the winter, I got mine fully loaded for $24k, oh and they're also awesome on gas, I average 32-35mpg city driving
    Last edited by InLoveWitRSX; 12-08-2013 at 02:58 PM.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Graham_A_M

Hoping for a Turbo Honda is akin for expecting to come home and find your house filled with pots of gold.... not happening.
    It has happened already.

http://www.honda.ca/newsdetails/nca/...al-Performance

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

Originally posted by Aleks

It has happened already.

http://www.honda.ca/newsdetails/nca/...al-Performance
    yup

they're trying to make the CT-R *by far* the fastest FWD production car ever just like the IT-R did. Love it. Just wish they'd make it look appealing...pics of it I've seen so far are awful, like put a paper bag on it.

What I was trying to say was hopefully it trickles down in to the Civic/Fit...Fit could have an Si trim that competes with the Fiesta ST. Civic Si would then trump pretty much every turbo FWD ever conceived.

#wishfulthinking

So a few days after opening the topic... You guys convinced me about RWD, and I'm about to close a 2013 Mustang V6 base, with less than 10k km, for $21,000 + taxes. Am I doing wrong?

With the money I will be saving buying a cheaper one, I could already start saving for a future car...

My Ride
    G37X

The new v6 mustangs are nothing to scoff at..regular fuel..over 300 hp, 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It's pretty much win win on all accounts.. besides the fact that it'll never sound like a V8 I'd say it's a great pick. Much better then a v6 camaro. Stick shift?
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 12-12-2013 at 09:22 PM.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    The new v6 mustangs are nothing to scoff at..regular fuel..over 300 hp, 0-60 in under 6 seconds. It's pretty much win win on all accounts.. besides the fact that it'll never sound like a V8 I'd say it's a great pick. Much better then a v6 camaro. Stick shift?
    Good to read that And yeah, stick shift.

My Ride
    G37X

Price seems to be a tad high compared to here, but no idea on what the market is like there. Ton of car for the money either way even at 21k. Tons of aftermarket things to do that will make the car more the way you want it too.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 3