Quantcast
Sport FWD car under $30k? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Sport FWD car under $30k?

Default Sport FWD car under $30k?

So I started last week to search for a new car that I will be buying on May/2014... I was deciding between a Mustang or a Subaru BRZ since I always dreamed on having one of those two. But after reading reviews for a week, I was really sad finding out that RWD cars are terrible for snow, even with good winter tires and adding sand bags on the back.

That being said, I then decided after years waiting to buy one of these, that I would buy a FWD car (AWD are too expensive). I couldn't find too many interesting options, and I ended up with only 4 options under $30k:

- Civic SI
    - Fiesta ST
    - Focus ST
    - Veloster Turbo

The Golf GTI is almost $35k with taxes, so it's not an option. Would anyone have any comments that could help me choosing the right car? I want good performance, but at the same time it has to be reliable, which is why I removed RWD cars from my list since I don't want to waste time on the road because my car can't drive on snow.

My Ride
    Exploded.

You can get a Focus ST for under $30k? Nice.

Fiesta ST if you don't need big space. What about a 500 Abarth or a Cooper?

My Ride
    Blue boy

Default Re: Sport FWD car under $30k?

Originally posted by qtcar
    I was deciding between a Mustang or a Subaru BRZ since I always dreamed on having one of those two. But after reading reviews for a week, I was really sad finding out that RWD cars are terrible for snow, even with good winter tires and adding sand bags on the back.
    If you can't handle a newer RWD with decent winter tires, I don't know what to tell you

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

My Mustang was a lot of fun in the snow. Never got it stuck. Don't knock it til you've tried it (with good winter tires).

Either of the 4 on your list are good options though.

EDIT: And mine was 30 years old with no ABS, TCS, etc.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

You ruled out GTI but you can get a GLI for a touch under 30k if you play hardball. Usually get them around $30500. I'd recommended against the Civic SI, good car but I almost fell asleep test driving that thing, not sporty at all

My Ride
    teslo murdel free

Fiesta or Focus ST for sure

My Ride
    4x4 Abarth

RWD is fun in the snow. Just saying.

Slightly used WRX
    Sonic Turbo (meh, wasn't impressed. Fiesta ST for the $$$ is WORLDS better.)
    2013+ Accord "Sport" Coupe
    Mazdaspeed3 (slight used)
    Dodge Dart (meh...just make sure its manual...there's like 7 trims of Dart with the Multi-Air turbo. Such a clusterf*** of a car...and the raspy noise it makes, really? You can grab any VTEC Honda and have even more fun.

Honestly for the $$$ ($22k to be exact) the Fiesta ST appeals to me most for some reason.

My Ride
    G37X

I'm driving RWD this winter for the first time with blizzaks. It's a bit slower to actually get going from a stop but other than that there are no issues at all. Feels more predictable when I get into a bit of a slide as well. The Fiesta ST is getting amazing reviews as well.

3rd year of driving my Mustang in winter and i've had no problems. Just get some decent snow tires like michelin x ice and you're good to go

It's nice to hear that Fiesta/Focus ST are probably the best choice among the 4, since they are the ones I'm most inclined to buy.

Even better to see 3 comments saying that RWD is doable during winter... That keeps alive the possibility of a Mustang/BRZ. I'm just wondering if anyone would be honest to tell if they ever got stuck in a situation where a FWD would not... I know that FWD can get stuck as well, I just want to minimize this possibility.

Originally posted by flipstah
    You can get a Focus ST for under $30k? Nice.

Fiesta ST if you don't need big space. What about a 500 Abarth or a Cooper?
    Since I'm tall, I'm guessing I would fell a little uncomfortable inside them according to some reviews. Maybe the Cooper not so much, but I'm not a big fan of it anyway.

Originally posted by G-ZUS

If you can't handle a newer RWD with decent winter tires, I don't know what to tell you
    Honestly I've never driven a RWD in any weather, and it would be very hard to check if I can or can't handle it just by doing a single test drive on a snow day, so I'd have to assume that people's comment about how bad RWD is on snow is true..

Originally posted by tehwegz
    RWD is fun in the snow. Just saying.

Slightly used WRX
    Sonic Turbo (meh, wasn't impressed. Fiesta ST for the $$$ is WORLDS better.)
    2013+ Accord "Sport" Coupe
    Mazdaspeed3 (slight used)
    Dodge Dart (meh...just make sure its manual...there's like 7 trims of Dart with the Multi-Air turbo. Such a clusterf*** of a car...and the raspy noise it makes, really? You can grab any VTEC Honda and have even more fun.

Honestly for the $$$ ($22k to be exact) the Fiesta ST appeals to me most for some reason.
    The Dart and Sonic Turbo didn't impressed me either.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 01:33 PM.

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

Focus ST, no contest.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    G37X

[B]It's nice to hear that Fiesta/Focus ST are probably the best choice among the 4, since they are the ones I'm most inclined to buy.

Even better to see 3 comments saying that RWD is doable during winter... That keeps alive the possibility of a Mustang/BRZ. I'm just wondering if anyone would be honest to tell if they ever got stuck in a situation where a FWD would not... I know that FWD can get stuck as well, I just want to minimize this possibility.
    I've been going through snow that's piled up a couple inches above the bottom of my front bumper on the side foothills industrial roads with no issues. Managed to get myself stuck briefly after dropping a friend off last night because my entire car was sitting on the snow, which fwd wouldn't have helped with anyway. Just shoveled about a foot infront and behind the wheels to allow me to get up enough momentum to continue on.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Default Re: Sport FWD car under $30k?

So I started last week to search for a new car that I will be buying on May/2014... I was deciding between a Mustang or a Subaru BRZ since I always dreamed on having one of those two. But after reading reviews for a week, I was really sad finding out that RWD cars are terrible for snow, even with good winter tires and adding sand bags on the back.

That being said, I then decided after years waiting to buy one of these, that I would buy a FWD car (AWD are too expensive). I couldn't find too many interesting options, and I ended up with only 4 options under $30k:

- Civic SI
    - Fiesta ST
    - Focus ST
    - Veloster Turbo

The Golf GTI is almost $35k with taxes, so it's not an option. Would anyone have any comments that could help me choosing the right car? I want good performance, but at the same time it has to be reliable, which is why I removed RWD cars from my list since I don't want to waste time on the road because my car can't drive on snow.
    Both Focus ST and GTI have a $3,500 cash allowance on right now, making them both a hair under your 30K cap. It's just that Ford does a much better job of advertizing this. I can't remember last time I saw a GTI commercial on TV, probably 2006/2007 with the unpimp ze auto guy.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra

Stick with your rwd choices and get a set of studded tires. I have driven many winters with open dif rwd trucks and have had no problems with getting stuck.

Plus oversteer is way more fun and predictable than fwd.

My Ride
    NB8C

Honestly I've never driven a RWD in any weather, and it would be very hard to check if I can or can't handle it just by doing a single test drive on a snow day, so I'd have to assume that people's comment about how bad RWD is on snow is true..

It is my first winter with a RWD car (no traction control) and studded winter tires. I've had no issues so far other than yesterday. Got stuck in a snow drift by my house (not enough ground clearance), but in my defense many FWD cars got stuck there as well... The car is a bit tail happy in the snow/ice though.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I find fwd are worse in the snow, at least with a rwd you oversteer corners instead of plowing straight through them, I have owned a multitude of vehicles, and all of them have been driven in snow, the best was my 2wd jimmy with winters, followed by c63, and my 300zx did better in snow even with just all seasons, the civic, probe turbos and jetta were not bad, but the other cars are more fun. buy one, practice on roads with nobody around and in parking lots and you will have way more fun of a winter.

My Ride
    Toyota 86 Wannabe (FR-S)

I've got an FRS (aka BRZ) with winters and haven't had any problems whatsoever. Its been a daily driver for me even through the massive blizzard we just had.

It is a bit hard to get going at icy intersections, but other than that it's very predictable. Youll see me in the fast lane passing all the cars most of the time...

Only got stuck once, but that was from trying to screw around in an unplowed cul-de-sac. You really just have to be smart about where you stop, and where you have to keep the momentum going.
    Last edited by Joe-G; 12-05-2013 at 12:40 AM.

Photo by: Kevin Chow

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Default Re: Re: Sport FWD car under $30k?

Originally posted by Aleks

Both Focus ST and GTI have a $3,500 cash allowance on right now, making them both a hair under your 30K cap. It's just that Ford does a much better job of advertizing this. I can't remember last time I saw a GTI commercial on TV, probably 2006/2007 with the unpimp ze auto guy.
    Peter Stormare!

Vdub in ze house, ja

My Ride
    Turbo stuff

Picture of what I drove last winter.

The winter before that, I drove a SR20 240sx and an AE86.

The AE86 had some difficulties mainly because open diff and it was stripped and weighed like 2000lbs.

The Mustang chewed through snow like nothing cause it was 3000lbs and had an LSD.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast