Quantcast
How old is your laptop? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How old is your laptop?

My Ride
    honda

Default How old is your laptop?

All electronic items have a decent age wear and eventually need to be replaced. how old is the average laptop worth taking?
    My laptop is 6 years old
    no Signature

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Depends on how much work you are doing with it. A daily use laptop (thats mobile) will not last 6 years - or at least I have yet to see one.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My laptop I bought refurbished from Laptop Depot is still running and probably 8 years old lol. An HP no less
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    2011 Mustang GT

Mine is an ASUS. Not great battery life so I use it more as a desktop now. Lasted 3 years now. The on-board video card is useless and stalls out all the time watching movies, so i may upgreade sooner rather than later. It served its purpose just fine though.
    Beyond's Most Wanted

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Default Re: How old is your laptop?

Originally posted by izzyboy
    how old is the average laptop worth taking?
    You planning on stealing some?

Whats up with all the bot accounts lately?

6 year old alienware. Still plays every game on high settings without any issue. Thing is a battle tank

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Whats up with all the bot accounts lately?
    probably, but not a bad topic regardless :P
    Last edited by BigMass; 12-06-2013 at 02:02 PM.

1 year old Asus. Previous laptop was an Acer which lasted around 5 or 6 years surprisingly

Originally posted by revelations
    Depends on how much work you are doing with it. A daily use laptop (thats mobile) will not last 6 years - or at least I have yet to see one.
    I've got a fully spec'd, 5 year old Lenovo T400 that I carry to and from work every day (on a bike), and which is used for computationally-intensive data analysis. Still runs like brand new. I just replaced the thermal paste on the processor heat sink, upgraded to a SSD, and maxed out 8 GB of ram. Absolutely zero signs that this thing is 5 years old, I fully expect it to keep running until I decide to buy another one in a few years.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Wierd. I just mentioned this in another thread before I even saw this one, lol.

MSi wind u100, 5 years old, taken some abuse, and is my garage station.
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by FixedGear

I've got a fully spec'd, 5 year old Lenovo T400 that I carry to and from work every day (on a bike), and which is used for computationally-intensive data analysis. Still runs like brand new. I just replaced the thermal paste on the processor heat sink, upgraded to a SSD, and maxed out 8 GB of ram. Absolutely zero signs that this thing is 5 years old, I fully expect it to keep running until I decide to buy another one in a few years.
    Ah so youre like me and actually take care of your machines .... upgrading your components doesent count

I should say, most average users will drop, break or otherwise slow their laptops down with bloatware or bugs long before their machine reaches 6 years.

At one point I had a 10 year old Toshiba laptop that required Speedfan to be running all the time otherwise the CPU would overheat as the BIOS wasnt doing its job with cooling and Toshiba didnt bother to update. Then I switched to an old IBM machine that had a loose connection inside and would turnoff immediately if the screen was touched. Worked fine on a desk though.

Now I have an ASUS gaming laptop thats going to last me 5 years.
    Last edited by revelations; 12-06-2013 at 06:54 PM.

My Ride
    X100 | A80

I had a macbook pro last me about 5 years before the logic/mother board died, considering it was a mbp 4,1 it's likely that the nvidia gpu is what actually let it down. Up until then it was daily use laptop with the only real modification being added ram and a newer hdd installed.
    Originally posted by Keiichi Tsuchiya
    The Hachiroku really brings out the beast in you.
    It's like the moon that changes a man into a werewolf.
    That is the magic of the Hachiroku.

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

I think mines around 5-6 years old. Its a HP. I'm surprised its lasted this long. I've dropped it tons, the fan hardly works so the laptop gets super hot sometimes. Its having issues where sometimes after it turned on from a sleep/hibernation mode, the delete key and H key don't work for a good 20 mins lol.

Who says HP isn't reliable lol.
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

^overheating and non-working keys = reliable? Last thing I need is for my laptop to overheat and shut down in the middle of a long computation... Actually, I can run prime95 forever on my 5 year old t400

My Ride
    2017 Golf TSI

My daily driver computer is a 2 year old Acer aspire laptop. Bought boxing day 2011, slapped in an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD and traded the french keyboard for an english only one. Still goes 5-7 hours on battery and we haven't had any issues with it at all.

Before this I had a ~2006 Core 2 Duo Dell Laptop that I used every day until Feb 2012.
    Originally posted by Vagabond142
    Is the best game. Ever. In everness. It is more awesome than a robot caveman punching God in the dick. It is that awesome

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Use my desktop mostly now, but my laptop is a 2 year old Dell. So far so good, and I really do not take care of it.

My previous laptop was an HP that a babied, and it lasted just over a year before it started to have overheating issues and eventually crapped out completely.

My Ride
    1989 JDM SW20, 2013 Civic LX 5Spd

My laptop is barely a year old. Its an Asus.

Before that had a lenovo T61p that I bought used st 3 years old, and kept it for 2 years until the on board video died.

I may or may not have overheated it playing Diablo 3 though. Ha

Ugh, somehow I manage to collect laptops. I have a couple 3-400 mhz Pentium machines that I use for playing old dos games, a p4 1.6ghz that makes an excellent doorstop, another with about the same specs for things like robotics work or taking it somewhere it could get damaged, one 2010 ish model which won't boot and I haven't bothered spending more than 20 minutes trying to fix..... and then finally one that's fairly new that came free to me with a smashed screen. My wife took that one the moment I replaced the screen and I haven't seen it since, lol. Oh, and my work laptop if it counts, a new lenovo something or another. Just got it...
    dv/dt

My Ride
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350

For daily use I have a one year old Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon (nothing wrong, except part of the metal "Lenovo" logo came off... in my finger) and a five year old Unibody MacBook Pro 15" (I got it the week they were released in 2008, all that's happened so far is that the rear rubber foot melted and fell off and the original MagSafe connector caught fire after 2 years).

My previous Windows machine was a Asus U36SD, it lasted one year before it fell apart in a xray machine in Frankfurt Airport.

I also have a ~1997 Thinkpad 760E with Windows 98. Still runs like new, and has a great keyboard!
    2012 Mercedes-Benz GLK350 4Matic
    2009 Smart ForTwo "Passion"

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

MacBook, almost 5 years old now, it's a piece of junk.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

6 month's, macbook air
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast