Quantcast
Exporting new cars..is it illegal? - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Exporting new cars..is it illegal?

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by rage2
    Exporting new cars out of the US is illegal, believe it or not, due to customs regulations. I dunno who paid off who to get that in place, but it's not right.
    What qualifies as new? <1 yr?
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Must be.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joannmul...hicle-exports/

These guys were registering the cars right away, then exporting, which wasn't enough to classify them as used.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

Interesting, as I said I am not familiar with the laws; However, its fairly common to see newer vehicles in Venezuela imported from the states. Not 100% sure how new this vehicles are, but Ive seen then first hand and they are not more than 5 years old.

It's not illegal for the Customer who purchases the X5 and decides to export it. It's not even illegal for the dealer to sell it. It's a problem because BMW China is complaining that these exported X5's from North America are undercutting there business. Because X5's in China sell for about $150,000 USD. It's a pretty lucrative business venture. BMW Corporate will fine the dealers if they're caught doing this.

They slip through the cracks all the time. I know this because I work in a BMW Dealership.

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Originally posted by 3drian
    Interesting, as I said I am not familiar with the laws; However, its fairly common to see newer vehicles in Venezuela imported from the states. Not 100% sure how new this vehicles are, but Ive seen then first hand and they are not more than 5 years old.
    Probably ship em to Puerto Rico first then export em from thier. Being a US territory its probably cosher to ship them thier?
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

My Ride
    something green

Interesting. .. When I was shopping for a cummins 7 years ago, I looked at some new trucks stateside. I emailed this one dealership and they said they could not sell to me, however I got an unsolicited email from some guy who offered to buy the truck for me and then resell to me for a small fee. Even if the fee was 2 or 3 k there was still a significant savings to be had buying it. I found my 06 that same week so I didn't bite on that offer.
    Going through the same scenario again minivan shopping now. Chrysler T&C here 51k, 30k in the U.S.. I was going to get my sister to buy it and bring it up.
    Too loud for Aspen

My Ride
    '21 F150 PowerBoost

ok, so I just had a random question pop into my head, and I will give a scenario for it.

Lets say a person comes to calgary for a visit in their personal vehicle. Something bad happens, and the engine seizes. They can't tow it back to Colorado, towing fees would be huge! But lets say for arguments sake that I buy the vehicle from them because I know I have a brand new engine I can put in the car, and they fly back home.

So what kind of fees and such are involved in this? The car is already across the border, theoretically, would all that be required is an OOP?

if so, this seems like a pretty good way to get around these export laws.
    Boosted life tip #329
    Girlfriends cost money
    Turbos cost money
    Both make whining noises
    Make the smart choice.

Originally posted by Mibz
    Always a fucking awful experience seeing spikers. Extra awful when he laps me.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This is exactly how people bypass the RIV program. It's just a federal offense if you get busted. I posted this in another thread somewhere.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    93 Prelude, 02 WRX

Originally posted by spikerS
    ok, so I just had a random question pop into my head, and I will give a scenario for it.

Lets say a person comes to calgary for a visit in their personal vehicle. Something bad happens, and the engine seizes. They can't tow it back to Colorado, towing fees would be huge! But lets say for arguments sake that I buy the vehicle from them because I know I have a brand new engine I can put in the car, and they fly back home.

So what kind of fees and such are involved in this? The car is already across the border, theoretically, would all that be required is an OOP?

It is possible to "import" the vehicle at the customs office here in town, and the vehicle would still have to go through the whole process of importation/ inspection etc at that time.

I was informed of this one of the last times crossing border in one of my cars that is still registered in Colorado as I still maintain legal residence there, and work on a work permit here. The lady at the border didn't care what I did, just told me about that option, and that I could do a "temporary" import to get the car plated up here.

Got a pm...

wrote on 07-24-2014 02:00 PM:
    Your planning to ship cars to China? Do you have buyers lined up?
    A major part of exporting the cars involves them being considered "used"; guys in the USA were (Forbes link from Rage) buying them through straw buyers, registering them, and then exporting them. Their argument was that because the car was registered, it is considered used. I would agree with them - but government officials have the words Ultimate Purchaser included in their regulations...

http://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-impor.../motor-vehicle

Used definition from the Customs website: "Used" refers to any self-propelled vehicle the equitable or legal title to which has been transferred by a manufacturer, distributor, or dealer to an ultimate purchaser.

The Ultimate Purchaser is defined as “first person, other than a dealer purchasing in his capacity as a dealer, who in good faith purchases a self-propelled vehicle for purposes other than resale.”

Long story short, the feds shut them down and they turned a potential civil matter (between BMW and the guys) into a criminal matter. They even chucked mail fraud in there for good measure.

Wih respect to why they got charged, in full detail:

http://exportautonews.wordpress.com/...your-business/

In Canada.... I'm not sure - have to do more digging. I know I wouldn't try it from the USA right now.

My Ride
    VW R32 Turbo

Originally posted by spikerS

Interesting. How would it be registered though?

The new vehicle form would have been used at Colorado Registry.

Can't register it then?
    (no past history, no new vehicle form)
    Originally posted by sputnik
    Cell providers are the next Blockbuster video stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2