Quantcast
Starting a new hockey team - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Starting a new hockey team

Default Starting a new hockey team

I am considering starting up my own rec hockey team and wanted advice on what other teams do to manage their teams.

How many full time players do most teams have on their rosters? I've got about 10 people interested so I would like to know what a good number would be.

What about subs and part timers? I've played on teams before that charged subs around $10-$20 per game and I've heard about some that charge up to $30 and others that don't at all.

Another question I had is about goalies, do teams usually make goalies pay for a spot?

And sometimes I would want to organize a shinny for the team to practice, I believe hour rentals nowadays are about $250~ how much do people usually charge to cover these costs and how many bodies?

All replies are appreciated. Thanks!

Try to at least get 13 guys on the team not including goalie.

That leaves you with 9 forwards ( 3 lines ) and 4 Defense ( 2 lines ).

I doubt you will always have a full bench for each game. Most ppl charge around
    $15 dollars to sub in.

On all teams that I've joined everyone paid the same amount, including goalie.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

15 Players (full pay), sub only if under 10 or 1 to make full front lines (9F, 4D). Subs don't pay as team is fully paid for already and they are helping you out.

1 FT Goalie, 1 Backup Goalie (no pay for either)

Team practice. Cost divided by players. Round up to nearest dollar. Not there to make a profit.

What league are were you thinking of?

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by TYMSMNY
    15 Players (full pay), sub only if under 10 or 1 to make full front lines (9F, 4D). Subs don't pay as team is fully paid for already and they are helping you out.

Team practice. Cost divided by players. Round up to nearest dollar. Not there to make a profit.

Pretty much how men's league goes. Goalies don't pay, neither do subs because you need them.

Other important items: Beer
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

Originally posted by TYMSMNY

Wow, free spares? You run a responsible team!! lol

I ran both a team as well as a full contact men's league back home in BC.

As for the team, our average turnout was around 3/4 of our full roster. We had 15 full timers, plus goalie. Any "spares" paid per game and it was $15 per game, but the "spares" had to be registered with the league and could only play for the team they were registered with. A list of spare goalies was kept and any team could use goalies, they never paid. But a full time goalie always paid his share. The full-timers paid for the year and it was usually around $500 per player. (34 league games plus playoffs). Our team got money from our sponsor (a local bar). As well as made around $1,000 per year from the beer fund. (I ran the beer fund as well)

We NEVER had "practices"......playing 1 to 2 games per week was more than enough hockey. Plus many guys played full time as well as "spared" for another league/division. Then there were always tournies that we played in. Banff being one and then a local one.

Our "league dues" per team for the year was around $5,000. But that was a few years ago, when ice was only $160/hr and Ref's cost were $75 per game. The league I ran had two divisions. The "A" league (full contact) 6 teams, and then the Non-contact "B" league with 8 teams. We used a 3 referee system and also had player insurance that included liability AND a dental plan!!

(I made use of the dental plan...$2500 worth of damage to my teeth from a check from behind into the boards)

For the beer fund, we drank a LOT. We used to average between 3 and 5 dozen a night. With the odd important/weekend being 6 dozen. Our record was 104 cans of beer. (Playoff year ending game, pizza ordered etc).
    I found selling beer "cards" to be the best idea. I'd sell them for $25 and that gave them 11 beers: (used a hole punch for each beer they took). It encouraged sales!
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 12-07-2013 at 06:52 PM.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by C_Dave45

Wow, free spares? You run a responsible team!! lol

I ran both a team as well as a full contact men's league back home in BC.

As for the team, our average turnout was around 3/4 of our full roster. We had 15 full timers, plus goalie. Any "spares" paid per game and it was $15 per game, but the "spares" had to be registered with the league and could only play for the team they were registered with. A list of spare goalies was kept and any team could use goalies, they never paid. But a full time goalie always paid his share. The full-timers paid for the year and it was usually around $500 per player. (34 league games plus playoffs). Our team got money from our sponsor (a local bar). As well as made around $1,000 per year from the beer fund. (I ran the beer fund as well)

We NEVER had "practices"......playing 1 to 2 games per week was more than enough hockey. Plus many guys played full time as well as "spared" for another league/division. Then there were always tournies that we played in. Banff being one and then a local one.

Our "league dues" per team for the year was around $5,000. But that was a few years ago, when ice was only $160/hr and Ref's cost were $75 per game. The league I ran had two divisions. The "A" league (full contact) 6 teams, and then the Non-contact "B" league with 8 teams. We used a 3 referee system and also had player insurance that included liability AND a dental plan!!

(I made use of the dental plan...$2500 worth of damage to my teeth from a check from behind into the boards)

You have 7 skaters confirmed tonight, want me to do you a solid and come out for a bag skate, and pay you

Originally posted by rizfarmer

You have 7 skaters confirmed tonight, want me to do you a solid and come out for a bag skate, and pay you
    We had guys like that. We called them "free loaders". Usually the same guys who would come to the bar with us, drink more than his share of the beer and never tipped.
    You want to play hockey with a good team...you pay. You want to play for free, phone the next team. We never had problem with guys paying. We usually turned down guys and always could find spares. Goalies were a different thing. We can play with 7 players. Can't without a goalie.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

Wow, free spares? You run a responsible team
    Free spares as the team league fees are split among the full time players at the beginning of the season. There are no extra costs if a person doesn't come out. Sub's are there to help like riz mentioned. IMO.

Turnout has never been an issue.

League fees are around $10000 now divided by about 15 players. Its still pretty substantial amount for a season.

Prefer full time players as part timers can end up playing every game. Doesnt look good for the GM whos administering team. No freeloaders allowed, bro or not.

My Ride
    AMGGGGGGsixtythree

We had guys like that. We called them "free loaders". Usually the same guys who would come to the bar with us, drink more than his share of the beer and never tipped.
    You want to play hockey with a good team...you pay. You want to play for free, phone the next team. We never had problem with guys paying. We usually turned down guys and always could find spares. Goalies were a different thing. We can play with 7 players. Can't without a goalie.
    Much different with a beer fund lol. He can pay for his own tab.

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

ok, play with 4 then?

many ways to approach the spare situation I suppose. I'm only ever asking someone to spare if needed, or going to spare for a buddy if they are short. No way in hell am I going to pay for providing a favour/expect someone to pay me for doing me a favour.

spares are only appropriate when needed imo... not cuz you want to bring your buddy out to take my ice time; in that situation I could justify charging.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

I played as a substitute in the Heritage league while I was also playing for the university team full time and all my costs were covered. That's a pretty competitive league, though.

My current team, we all pay $250.00 and our sponsor covers the rest. We also get new socks every year and a free Christmas and year end party.

We have 18 players, five of which are "half timers" meaning they show up for roughly half the games.

I would suggest getting at least 15 - 20 committed players on board before you even consider making a new team. I guarantee five or six of them ditch out last minute for some reason or another... and if they don't, you simply make some cuts.

Even with 18 players on my current team there are games where only six or seven guys show up.

It's a tough balance, I've seen teams over recruit players and have, like, 25 guys play a single game for them and then the next week everybody quits and the team folds because they have no players.

Our goalie pays, but I've heard of teams covering their goalies costs... I guess that just depends on if you have a goalie vs. if you need a goalie. We have our main goalie and one of our defensemen can also play net if we need him to in a pinch... so, that helps us.

Whenever we had a spare join a game we never charged them.

My $0.02.
    Last edited by Tram Common; 12-07-2013 at 08:16 PM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

We've never had subs pay.. that just seems wrong since they are helping you out. Im a goalie and I have paid for the past 5 years on one team, but not on another. Guess it depends on the team.

Our team usually has 16 players including a goalie.

You should be able to find extra players on Kijiji, a friend of mine found a team like that.

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Most teams I have played on have 9 forwards and 6 defence plus a goalie sign up for full time, That gives 3 full lines if everybody shows up which is pretty rare. Its pretty common to have a couple guys pay for half a season and each only plays half the games.

Making subs pay is ridiculous. Most often you will need a sub(s) because the ice time is shit and your guys don't even want to show up to it. I know I would say no thanks if someone asked me to come help his team out at 11:15 on a tuesday night AND I had to pay $15-$30 for my time. You should have all your fees covered before the season even starts. Which is another good point: make sure you have all the money paid in full before the season starts. If you don't, guys WILL try and screw you. I've seen it every season where the captain/gm of the team has to chase guys for money and I couldn't imagine how annoying it would be.

As for goalies, I am a goalie and have paid full fee's every year I have played, but I also know goalies that don't pay. I think its more rare for a goalie to play for free though. My biggest grievance as a goalie though, is that I don't have the option to call the captain and say "Hey, I don't think ill make our game tonight", where any player can skip the game for any reason and no one really cares. Goalies are under appreciated in that aspect as they pretty much have to be the most committed to the team.

During my mens league hockey career I have never had a "practice". But if your going to buy ice time for it, its pretty straight forward as to what to charge...take the total cost and divide it by the number of guys who show up.

Some guys mentioned beer fund. Once you start trying to make money off guys I think its a bad idea. What my teams have always done is designate a 'beer guy' for each game and he brings a 24 pack and he takes home all the beers that don't get drank. Good way to do it is just start with the lowest number on your team and each game the next highest number is the beer guy. Although beer has been banished from our league (WRAHL) so we no longer have to deal with that I guess.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

Originally posted by leftwing
    Although beer has been banished from our league (WRAHL) so we no longer have to deal with that I guess.
    Beer is banished from basically every league..
    What Div/team are you on?

My Ride
    2003 Mustang Cobra

Yeah its kinda unfortunate. I also play in the Winsport league at COP and they still are allowed beer.

Div 1 Marshall's, how about you?

Different times I guess. Like I said, I ran the league for years in BC. and played Mens here in Calgary. All spares always paid. It wasn't a case of "Hey Jim, can you please help us out, we're short a guy tonight". It was more a case of "Hey Dave...are you guys short tonight, can I play?".

As for "making money off guys"....uh, the whole point in "making money" was to help pay for tournaments, go towards league dues, etc and help keep the fees for the full time players down. We always ended up with a couple of thousand at the end of the year. Guys were only too willing to be a part of helping raise those funds. Whether it be through drinking beer, or as spares and paying their share of ice time. We had enough money to usually pay for at least one tournament, so that it was free for all the players. As well, we always had a year-end party that was all free food and booze. BBQ steaks, beer and hard liquor. A huge party that was attended by wives and girlfriends.

As for "beer being banned"....technically beer has ALWAYS been illegal to be inside a public facility's dressing room. Always has, always will. But just like this whole society turning into a nanny state, and everything having to be "politically correct", this practice has dwindled to the point that you're looked upon like a drug dealer if you crack a beer in the dressing room.

I played Mens Hockey (as well as Senior A Hockey...think; Trail Smokeaters, Abbotsford Flyers, etc) from the late 80's up until 2005. A beer fund was as much a part of the team as was a bag of pucks. Every team had one, and every arena had a "no beer" policy. But I don't ever remember there ever being a problem at any rink, league, or tournament I ever played in. We either took all empties home with us, or at one arena, we gave them all to the ice guy. And ALWAYS invited him as well as the refs into the dressing room for a beer. Or we'd send a few cold ones down to the refs room. Made for mutual respect.

It's unfortunate, as being in the dressing room, with a group of guys that you'd take a puck in the face for, and drinking beer and bullshitting is the most basic of male camaraderie. Now days it seems its just...come to the rink, play, get undressed, and go home. Wooooo

It's too bad. You guys missed out on a lot of fun being a generation behind me.
    Last edited by C_Dave45; 12-08-2013 at 12:43 PM.

My Ride
    Lease

come to the rink, play, get undressed, and go home. Wooooo

Don't forget (from your gym changing thread), ppl change in secret. Gone are the days of wet towel snapping, soap sharing.

Spares paying? Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Every time my team calls a spare its because we need them and would be short without one. Big disadvantage to a team that actually wants to win.

Also full time goalies paying is bullshit. I am a goalie and have to commit to a full season while most players can miss 5+ games without an issue. Than you get bitched at if you do miss a game because they have to pay for a spare goalie to come who usually sucks. Players should respect their goalies a lot more than they do considering I am a better forward than half the guys on the ice but choose to play net.

Originally posted by Type_S1
    Spares paying? Stupidest thing I've ever heard.
    Obviously missing the main point. Coming from you though, I'm not surprised...then again..you ARE a goalie.

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Don't forget (from your gym changing thread), ppl change in secret. Gone are the days of wet towel snapping, soap sharing.
    I find that really depends on the camaraderie of your team and the age of the players. Younger guys tend to not want to shower with the team and often hide in the corners while they change... that being said, my current team would look like a bunch of flamboyant gays to an outsider coming into the dressing room at any given time...

The beer thing is also another "depends on your team" thing. We have two RCMP officers on our team and guys still bring beers to the dressing room... nobody's stupid about it, though... but ya... it's technically illegal and most leagues do ban it. One word of advice, ALWAYS take your empties with you, every single year teams are suspended from games for leaving their empties in the room and the cleaning staff reporting them.
    Last edited by Tram Common; 12-08-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast