Quantcast
How is sunwing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How is sunwing?

Default How is sunwing?

Anyone with past experience with sunwing? Read some stuff online about how ppl got their bags searched and things were stolen from them, or major flight delays, or bags missing/lost, or other crap.... Was wondering if it's a case of "if it's on the internet then it MUST be true " or if it actually is as garbage of a company as it sounds ?

I'm leaning towards it's actually a shitty company to fly with.... But want to hear others opinions lol (gut says suck it up and pay extra for westjet, AC, or air transat or something....)

//edit
    This is for an all inclusive package deal somewhere hot Mexico Cuba etc

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Flown Sunwing four times in the last two years. I have never had an issue with them either time.

The champagne service is a little cheesy, but it's also champagne lol. The flights are also somewhat crowded, but not any worse than flying any other charter airline.

Fleet seems okay. Every plane I've been on hasn't given me any reason to worry.

When I'm booking I'll fly either AC, WJ, or SW. I've had good/bad experiences with them all, with Sunwing being no worse than the other two.

Chartered buses have always been good too. They always seem modern/fairly modern, well maintained, and presentable. Staff has always been nice as well.

We made use of their "agent" at our hotel during our stay in Cabo. After trying to push some junk on us he gave us a few good tidbits. I won't bother trying to see the agent again, though.

My Ride
    CBR 929

Flight was late leaving because a couple was arguing and they got kicked off then we had to wait for their bags to be taken off-not airlines fault I get that.

They tell you go to your bus when you land right away, the buses will NOT wait for you. We waited over an hour sitting on the bus for couples that never showed up and must of taken a taxi. You stop at every other hotel on the way to yours so if you are last the bus ride can be like 1.5 hours.

Flight leaving was delayed over three hours, have no idea why. They gave everyone a ten dollar voucher for food but most of us had already eaten.

Other thing that was annoying, you have to pay to select your seats, like 10 or 15 bucks extra. Regardless of how early you get to the airport, you will not be sitting next to each other on the plane unless you pay the extra fee.

[url]

My Ride
    CBR 929

Flight was late leaving because a couple was arguing and they got kicked off then we had to wait for their bags to be taken off-not airlines fault I get that.

They tell you go to your bus when you land right away, the buses will NOT wait for you. We waited over an hour sitting on the bus for couples that never showed up and must of taken a taxi. You stop at every other hotel on the way to yours so if you are last the bus ride can be like 1.5 hours.

Flight leaving was delayed over three hours, have no idea why. They gave everyone a ten dollar voucher for food but most of us had already eaten.

Other thing that was annoying, you have to pay to select your seats, like 10 or 15 bucks extra. Regardless of how early you get to the airport, you will not be sitting next to each other on the plane unless you pay the extra fee.

We were on some old plane from Russia(?) as well, all the signs were in some crazy language, we had no idea what it was but obviously they bought the plane from some country over there.

We used the agent at the hotel for one tour. Skip it, use trip advisor and spend another $150 bucks or so and book a private tour before you leave from someone rated 5 stars online. You get picked up in a private van, no one else is with you, you can stop where you want, spend whatever time you want etc etc. We did one tour from the agent, the other private tour my husband went on, I was horrendously sick. He said it was freaking awesome.

[url]

My Ride
    changes every year

I've done sunwing to Mexico and had 0 issues with them.

My Ride
    is Invisible

Although we have taken them once, i doubt we will be flying with them again.

The 2 things that trigger the above decision. 1) After landing we waited endlessly for other passangers to arrive via other airlines before the bus took off. Landing to arrival at the hotel was 2+ hrs. 2) If you are over 6' tall you will have a difficult time sitting comfortably especially when the flights are direct via sunwing. Watch out for your knees if the person infront of you decides to recline their seat.

I have heard from a stuardess that there are 30-40 more seats on that plane than what is comparably flown by WJ, AC, when comparing the same planes (737's).

used them going to cuba in january this year. I'm not a big flyer as it is but am starting to travel more. Service is ok, I had no problems. Maybe i'll be able to provide better feedback once i've gone to some different places with different airlines.

I flew Sunwing last year, wasn't very impressed. Packed airplanes, half of the TV's either didn't work or were fuzzy or not in color. Not like West Jet either where the TV's are in the back of the seats. Sunwing's TV's are spaced 4-5 rows for one TV. SunWing has a really bad history of you booking your flight, then a few weeks before you leave. "Oh we changed your flight home, instead of coming back at noon to Calgary, you're actually leaving Mexico at 4:30am." That happened twice.

Wasn't bad compared to all other airlines. Food and champagne/wine.

Wasn't great. Wasn't bad

My Ride
    G6

Took them once to Mexico. Zero issues if I recall correctly.

Hmmm maybe I will just stick with the cheaper alternative then (several hundred dollars) and go with sunwing

Excursions and stuff.... Are those recommended to be booked in advance at time of booking or once you get there?

itravel2000.com has a price drop policy any other websites like that?
    You basically just check every day since you book and if it goes down then you get credited the difference?

My Ride
    A slow bike & an even slower car.

Originally posted by EK69
    Hmmm maybe I will just stick with the cheaper alternative then (several hundred dollars) and go with sunwing

Excursions and stuff.... Are those recommended to be booked in advance at time of booking or once you get there?

itravel2000.com has a price drop policy any other websites like that?
    You basically just check every day since you book and if it goes down then you get credited the difference?
    RedTag.ca is my favourite. As far as excursions go, you can always book them right from your hotel (convenience), or from local vendors. I've never booked in advance.

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

I just got back from Jamaica after flying with Sunwing, it was ok. I would recommend you buy something to eat. The food that they supply is barely edible, I didn't pick anything up on the way down and by the time we got to the resort we were starving.

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

I had some cunt slam his seat down all the way from Mexico. Couldn't even move my knees, I would rather take a dick in the ass, it woul be more comfortable than that flight home. But other than that it wasn't the worst.

Like with any charter company... don't book too far in advance.

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I hate the airline.
    1)They told me going down to Mexico/called before I booked that my scuba gear would be fine and depending on weight would give me a sports gear fee of $25-$50. I had no problems going down and didn’t have to pay extra but coming back up they charged me $360 to bring my scuba gear up ($20/KG and yes Scuba gear is heavy) as the people in Mexico claimed they had no sports gear prices and extra baggage is assessed the standard fee of $20/KG .
    2) if you are half way tall it sucks and is one of the most cramped airlines i have been on.
    3)TV's were terrible
    4) They ran out of water, food, and the snack before they got to us and we were not even that far from the start of the service.
    Last edited by austic; 12-09-2013 at 08:46 AM.

My Ride
    V8s

Was on a sunwing vacation once (ex father in law took us to mexico now and then), would never do it again. Shitty old plane, poor service, same issues as some have stated above with time spent on the bus, etc. Really wrecks a trip for me, to have to deal with that crap.

Just my 2c. If you can put up with those things, might as well save the money. I'm just too much of a princess I guess.

Man fuck I'm torn between westjet or sunwing. Westjet is comjng up a few hundred more per person.
    Good thing is the place isn't far from airport I guess (less than 30min drive) but that's assuming we actually leave sometime soon after arrival which it sounds like we probably won't.

So if I want to sit beside the ppl I am traveling with (even though we book it at the same time) we have to pay a fee to check in online and pick our seats to make sure we're beside each other?

My Ride
    K20A2

sun wing was good no issues used them 3 times
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

Depends on how if being cheap is worth more to you than being comfortable? Westjet and Air Canada Vacations tend to cost more but I know I would never go on another Sun Wing vacation. I put a premium on my time and comfort when I am on vacation as the last thing I want is to be miserable when I am away from work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast