Quantcast
Hiroshima - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Hiroshima

My Ride
    Ram

Default Hiroshima

Gonna be in Hiroshima on Sunday. Anyone have any ideas on what to do/see/eat?

Was gonna go to the mazda museum but apparently they close on Sundays when I tried to book when I was in Tokyo.

I know the bomb site and memorial museums are currently on our list

Edit: if there's nothing else appealing we will probably head out to miyajima for the day.
    Last edited by Sorath; 12-12-2013 at 01:57 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Hiroshima was mostly a day trip for me with the war memorial and museum.

Very eye-opening.

My Ride
    WRX, Audi A4 Avant

i wish i was able to make it out to miyajima... didn't have enough time though. let me know how it is!

My Ride
    85 toyota 1 ton, AE86, 04 Taco

Just got back Miyajima is a must for a day, time can really fly just walking around the island wish we would have stayed on it for a night. Hiroshima grab a tourist map and rent bikes for like $10 a day and just ride around, you can get them at hostels or car rental places We got ours from Hana Hostel by the train station. There are a few little cafes/ resturants alonmg the river which we really enjoyed. Just hang out and enjoy scotch and eat great food. Little slower paced then going to the main shopping/ resturant street.

Here is a link to a blog we tried to update when we where in japan. If it is any help.

Blog
    Last edited by streetdreams; 12-12-2013 at 11:38 AM.

My Ride
    Exploded.

Miyajima was awesome. If you feel YOLO, you can swim towards the giant torii and touch it.

I saw some tourists do it and wasn't sure if it was offensive or not but had a good laugh because one of them almost got clipped by a jetski.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

Here they are on the way back!

My Ride
    G6

I'd go to Miyajima if I were you (after the peace park of course). The temple's moderately cool, it involves a ferry ride, and if you hadn't been to Nara you might be impressed by the deer that are everywhere. Don't buy them snacks unless you wanna get bit! One thing to keep in mind is the peace park closes kinda early (6ish?), so don't go there later in the day thinking you can burn through it in 30 min.

As for food Hiroshima's known for their okonomiyaki (sorta like a potato pancake with other stuff in it I guess) and smoked eel (especially in Miyajima). I tried both, didn't much care for either, but when in Rome... I must've gone to the wrong places, as nothing much impressed me for food in Hiroshima.

My Ride
    92 Toyota MR2 GT-S

I'd definitely suggest Miyajima Island as well. If you can take the cable car to the top of the mountain, there's "one of the three best views in Japan" and the flame that's been burning for 1200 years. I hiked up because I had time and heard that there are monkeys in the forest and I wanted to see them haha. Otherwise the other places to visit around there are the peace park in Hiroshima, the Kintai-Kyou bridge (oldest wooden bridge in Japan) and Hiroshima castle. Not tons to do but I really liked what there was.

I made a blog when I went to school there, check out the second latest post, it's Hiroshima and Miyajima. Then the third latest post has some pictures of the peace park and museum.

http://ewidling.tumblr.com

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by e.widling
    I'd definitely suggest Miyajima Island as well. If you can take the cable car to the top of the mountain, there's "one of the three best views in Japan" and the flame that's been burning for 1200 years. I hiked up because I had time and heard that there are monkeys in the forest and I wanted to see them haha. Otherwise the other places to visit around there are the peace park in Hiroshima, the Kintai-Kyou bridge (oldest wooden bridge in Japan) and Hiroshima castle. Not tons to do but I really liked what there was.

I made a blog when I went to school there, check out the second latest post, it's Hiroshima and Miyajima. Then the third latest post has some pictures of the peace park and museum.

http://ewidling.tumblr.com
    www.ewidling.tumblr.com