Quantcast
Recommend a restaurant: Edmonton Edition - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Recommend a restaurant: Edmonton Edition

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

Originally posted by blainer

Range Road is on the outskirt of DT, new as well. All farm to table ingredients with a fine dining atmosphere. Visiting for the first time on Weds will also follow up.
    How was it?

Im in edm right now if anyone wants to take me out on a dry run before taking their wife or gf. Im also available for breakfasts and lunches.

My Ride
    G37X Coupe

Originally posted by EM2FTL

How was it?

It was awesome, between my good friends and I. A few of us including myself say it was one of the best meals we have had at restaurant.

We all had the Road Trip which is a 6 course sampling of the menu. 2 appetizers, 3 entrees, and a dessert course. Opted for the wine pairing with every course and I strongly suggest you do so as well.

Definitely one of the more expensive meals you can find in Edmonton, and I highly recommend experiencing it once.

Quick Review
    Food - 10/10 I personally enjoy doing a road trip style of dining at a high end restaurant because it lets the chef really demonstrate their skill and passion. Like I said earlier, incredible in terms of taste. All 6 of us 25 y/o men were by no means stuffed after the meal but, we didn't come here for value.
    1st - Arugula and beet salad
    2nd - Sweet potatoes with a walnut crust and a incredible mushroom ragout
    3rd - Sablefish
    4th - Beef
    5th - Moose and Elk stips in baby potatoes (moose liver on a piece of toast as well)
    6th - Brownie with creme fraiche
    My favorites were the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th courses, never tasted food that good.

Service - 9/10 I have a hard time saying service was perfect, however its a small restaurant and you have your main server who does the presentation and description of your entree. You are basically looked after by all the front of house staff as waters were constantly filled and plates taken away promptly after everyone was complete (a pet peeve of mine). I don't remember our fellows name, however he was a young man with square glasses, very entertaining with his dish descriptions.

Decor - Very suiting for the name and type of restaurant. Tables are all thick solid farm tables with antler chandeliers above.

So the evening with $160 all in. Will not being running bac

My Ride
    G37X Coupe

So the evening with $160 all in. Will not being running bac
    Sorry didn't finish the sentence.

Will not be running back, however will likely go back to this place in the summer do experience the chefs dishes with the ingredients available to him then.

My Ride
    '20 SS 1LE

I tried to get in last night, the only res they had was for 5 or 530 though. Thanks for the review, ii'll be checking it out soon.

I like the revolving restaurant at the top of Chateau Lacombe hotel in downtown. Great live band playing soft jazz and good view of the whole city. Food is a bit expensive but definitely worth it.

My Ride
    Wristshots

No shouts for Manor Bistro or Red Ox Inn, yet? Both of these places are quite good and meet your criteria. Normand's on Jasper is also solid.

I concur with what has been said about Corso 32 and Rge Rd. There are lots of great choices for dining in Edmonton.

Personally, I found XIX, La Ronde and Hardware Grill to be fairly mediocre. Tavern 1903 has a lot going for it, but the service good certainly have been better.

Originally posted by statick
    Normand's on Jasper is also solid.
    X2

We go for my wife's birthday every year in November for the wild game menu!! The service can get a little slow when they fill up so we usually go early.

My pick... Bistro Praha on 101St downtown.

They do Czech and eastern European style dishes. They also have lots of other European beers that aren't on their menu (just ask! ).

The Steak a la Tartare is excellent! The service can only be described as terrible but the food is so good we can't stop coming back!

We'd go maybe once a month when my wife lived a block away but we only go maybe 2 or 3 times a year now...
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

Originally posted by littledan
    RGE RD is really really good. mmmm. highly recommend. it's the old blue pear location. i think there is about 15-20 seats tops in the place.

Another challanger for best rest in the city is red ox inn.
    My wife and I only went to the Blue Pear once before it closed! I had to take half my food home there was so much (we did the five course and my wife did the wine pairing as well). Excellent food! We'll have to try out RGE RD after reading blainer's review!

I've only been to the Red Ox Inn as kid so can't really remember how it was! I've been meaning to try it out (again) but never get around to it!

Oh ya, one more... Louisiana Purchase on 111St if you like Cajun food!
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    G37X Coupe

Back with a tale from XIX.

The decor of the place is modern, clean, and simplistic. I like how there's basically a large glass pane into the kitchen from the dining room. We got a tour of the kitchen after the meal so can certainly say it's a clean kitchen.

Food - I would basically call it creative versions of the stuff you normally expect to see on a higher end menu. Appetizers were the crab cakes, tuna twist (highly recommend), scallops, and green salad. All quite tasty, I call them creative as I will use the crab cakes as an example. The 3 crab cakes had a sauce underneath each one, pea puree sauce on one side, brushetta on the other and a mix of the two under the center cake. Like I said all tasted very good. The scallops were cooked perfectly and tasted great with the cauliflower puree.
    My entree was the tenderloin, they have a interesting way of cooking their meats which I've never hear of before. They cook the meat in a 63 degree bath and then simply finish it on the grill. My beef was perfectly med rare throughout and tasted great with the tomato ragout. The sea bass, lamb, and gnocchi were all cooked perfectly and tasted great, just no revolutionary flavours.

Service - The service was pretty good, our waiter knew the menu inside and out, explained how they cook the meat very well. He kept on top of our 8 person table. The fellow had a decent understanding of wine in general but didn't really provide much direction with their selection and suggest pairings to our food. We by no means cheap out on the wine and there was lots going around the table. As such the fellow was definitely going for the up-sell. Don't blame the guy as I used to serve, but would try to be more discreet about it. That's my only complaint. He was nice enough to get our cabs all lined up so he's a very good waiter, just needs to up his wine knowledge.

Prices are on par with the type of place I'd say, $20 appetizer and $40 entrees, the location is way out there in SW Edmonton by the Henday. Still recommend this to anyone looking for a solid meat meal

My Ride
    CBR600rr, MK7

Every time I head up there I make sure to go to Pampas

It's a nice brazillian bbq. Really nice place and great food.

My Ride
    Wristshots

Originally posted by ipeefreely

Oh ya, one more... Louisiana Purchase on 111St if you like Cajun food!
    This place isn't bad, but I'd say Dadeo is a bit better, albeit a tad more casual. I haven't yet tried Packrat Louie, though.

My Ride
    335i

I'd recommend tasty tomato. An authentic Italian hole in the wall with excellent food IMO.

If you want to stay central I like Sicilian pasta kitchen.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My entree was the tenderloin, they have a interesting way of cooking their meats which I've never hear of before. They cook the meat in a 63 degree bath and then simply finish it on the grill.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sous-vide

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2