Quantcast
1 child dead, another in serious condition after Glenmore Trail crash - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 1 child dead, another in serious condition after Glenmore Trail crash

My Ride
    W204

Yeah there's a shot that shows the point of impact was basically where the front and rear doors meet by the passenger side, right where the deceased was sitting.

Anywhere else where the video is hosted? The vids on the Global site don't seem to be working.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by snowcat

Most people put winter tires onto steal rims. Looking at the age of the truck, and stock rims, like I said, it *MAY* indicate a tire other than winter was being used.

People here can rag all they want, I really don't care. What I said wasn't wild by any means, most people don't use the right equipment during winter and wonder why their cars suck.
    What you really said...
    Stock rims may indicate an inferior tire.
    The word "inferior" can mean a lot of things but regardless of that, I think the inference that stock rims may indicate an inferior tire was the biggest blunder posted.

So

Much

Fail.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    '73 Buick, '03 Ruckus, '18 Tundra

^I knew what you meant but everyone just started hating on you. Even when a few guys said they saw the bald ass tires in some pictures it pretty much validated your point...

As for the barriers, ive seen cars in the summer jump them so the snow build up shouldn't be the only factor.

My Ride
    1290SDR, 701SM

Originally posted by speedog

What you really said...

The word "inferior" can mean a lot of things but regardless of that, I think the inference that stock rims may indicate an inferior tire was the biggest blunder posted.

So

Much

Fail.
    Okay there gramps

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13
    ^I knew what you meant but everyone just started hating on you. Even when a few guys said they saw the bald ass tires in some pictures it pretty much validated your point...
    Yup. Speed may have been a factor, but so was shitty driving and shitty tires.

Originally posted by AndyL
    Sorry but that kind of speed - hitting a jersey barrier at that 30-45° angle in a high clearance vehicle your pretty much going over. Hopping over a jersey isn't the least common thing known to man, theres a bunch of pics in the old tow of the week thread (and many never published floating around my HDD). I recovered vehicles every week sitting on or having cleared over then.

They're pretty good at deflecting cars - but thats because they impact the barrier - trucks especially with these 30-35" stock tires - climb them with ease...
    Might be a good time for the province to consider using an Alberta Barrier in the cities, something twice the height at least. With all the trucks and full sized SUV out there, we really have special needs. At least this might have kept her vehicle on the right side of the road, giving her and her kids decent odds of coming out alive and perhaps with fewer injuries. Many factors (might be a few more behind the scenes as well) were involved in this accident, the brutal thing is, the major reasons were easily preventable.

The traffic flow late this morning along Glenmore was the least aggressive I have ever seen. Everyone doing the posted speed, no one being a dick-head, no tailgaters. Tragedy allows some to use their brains, a shame by the weekend it will all be back to the Calgary norm.
    Last edited by CanmoreOrLess; 12-19-2013 at 04:13 PM.

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

Originally posted by Ca_Silvia13

As for the barriers, ive seen cars in the summer jump them so the snow build up shouldn't be the only factor.
    So did I, and he arrived at the correct conclusion. Just used a faulty assumption.

But anyways, the moral of the story is that the roads are pretty dicey and the snow banks are fully capable of turning a minor accident into a major nightmare, so let's all be careful out there.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Originally posted by speedog

So

Much

Fail.

Okay there gramps

Hahaha yup I hope at that age I'm not so caring about online shenanigans. Older and wiser? Speedog is 1 for 2 on that one lol

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 12:51 AM.

My Ride
    '03 S2000

Something we teach in the SASC winter schools would have helped. Remember the "Two feet in" ... those of you who took the school (s). If you end up in this out-of-control situation, that is what you have to do. She would never have crossed the median since the truck would have continue straight on it's original path.

BTW, her speed was not much different than the car beside her ... but shitty no-season tires on a 2WD truck was definitely a factor. With proper snow tires and, even better, studded ones, she likely would not have been in the skid in the first place ... despite a lack of driving ability.

Sad situation. This is exactly why we have our schools; to prevent this type of occurrence.

R
    "I don't look for something; I find something" - Picasso

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

So all the people complaining about the city's road clearing have a better solution right? Keep in mind you're trying to clear an 80,000+ vehicle route while it is still snowing. You can't close the road or close lanes during the day to pile snow on the lanes and use loaders. Your budget is limited cost wise and you have to service 15,000+ lane kilometers of road in addition to Glenmore.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

May not be as efficient but pushing the snow to the outside lanes instead of toward the median probably would have helped.

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

Originally posted by reijo
    Something we teach in the SASC winter schools would have helped. Remember the "Two feet in" ... those of you who took the school (s). If you end up in this out-of-control situation, that is what you have to do. She would never have crossed the median since the truck would have continue straight on it's original path.

BTW, her speed was not much different than the car beside her ... but shitty no-season tires on a 2WD truck was definitely a factor. With proper snow tires and, even better, studded ones, she likely would not have been in the skid in the first place ... despite a lack of driving ability.

Sad situation. This is exactly why we have our schools; to prevent this type of occurrence.

R
    I remembered that and "look at where you want to go, not where you are trying to avoid". I sideswiped a cone looking straight at it, couldn't help.

My Ride
    NC1

So yea?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

They did a massive 3 plow job east of Deerfoot on Glenmore that night at around 1130. It could have been motivated by the accident, but I'm not sure. I've seen them do it in years past
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 12:51 AM.

The City has nothing to do with plowing on Deerfoot. That's a provincial highway and is maintained by a private contractor. Cars and trucks climb jersey walls regardless of snow or not. They'll also go over and through cable barriers, box rail, guard rail and pretty much anything else used to separate traffic. Anything your heart desires is possible for snow removal, but it has to be paid for. This was an accident potentially based on a series of bad decisions, from operator error to tires, or something else entirely. I can't even imagine what this mother is going through. RIP little man and prayers to the family.
    Last edited by Ven; 12-19-2013 at 06:04 PM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

That's the thing though, not having the road down to bare pavement in all spots contributed, sure. But tens of thousands of vehicles made it home safely that night, even after going through the same spot. Pretty safe to say that the driver's negligence was the main driving force behind this collision. You also didn't mention which road those 3-9 plows, loaders and graders will be pulled off to take care of Glenmore. Even if Glenmore was slow (it always is at that time), it would be worse since you'd need a few loaders and trucks to clear the plowed snow from all the on and off-ramps

There has never been excellent snow clearing in Calgary and there won't be the level of clearing that people think happens magically. It all really boils back to money. The snow budget is lower than pretty much every other municipality you'll compare it to. If council were to propose a tax hike to add ten or twenty million to the budget, people would go bonkers. Then they'd go nuts when they have to sit behind a grader or plow.

Personally, I think the best solution is to remove all but the P1 and P2 roads from the plow list. Absolutely no clearing of residential streets unless P1 and P2 are clear. Allow community associations to hire, at their cost, private contractors to do roads located within the community. Increase enforcement of TSA rules in the winter months and have a "winter premium" on top of the tickets. You could probably raise a few million through this alone.
    Last edited by FraserB; 12-19-2013 at 06:01 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    2013 Raptor

Put a chain link fence on top of the Armco, like the fence further up at 37 St SW. I suspect it would have slowed the pickup down enough to change the point of impact - if the truck had been able to intrude on the WB lanes at all.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda....It all comes down to bad decisions by the driver with respect to vehicle care and control. Simple as that. She has, hopefully, learned the hardest way possible. I feel bad that our society has let people like her down by allowing easy access to a license, premium driver education is paramount to safe roads and we just don't have it as a requirement.

My Ride
    01 Tacoma Double Cab 4x4

Originally posted by AndyL
    Sorry but that kind of speed - hitting a jersey barrier at that 30-45° angle in a high clearance vehicle your pretty much going over. Hopping over a jersey isn't the least common thing known to man, theres a bunch of pics in the old tow of the week thread (and many never published floating around my HDD). I recovered vehicles every week sitting on or having cleared over then.

They're pretty good at deflecting cars - but thats because they impact the barrier - trucks especially with these 30-35" stock tires - climb them with ease...
    With all due respect, and I know you are/were an experienced Recovery Driver, but Jersey Barriers aren't in question with this specific incident. I do understand the point you are making, however these W Beam Guardrails are supposed to absorb more impact than that of a Concrete Jersey Barrier, which would be more of a deflector. In this case, and with your point, absolutely a Jersey Barrier would create quite the ramp. I can only imagine that you've seen it a ton. Had the roads been clearer, or cleared in a different manner, then maybe these low guard rails would have done more deflection. That being said, the height of OEM full size trucks outdo these barriers at high speed and poor driving. As you mentioned.

These back to back W Beams show to stand rather low for the speed and amount of traffic on this Road. Jersey Barriers stand just shy of 4 feet. Given the summer picture posted by Codetrap, the height of the Guard Rail just doesn't look sufficient enough in high speed, in any season including winter with snow buildup.

I am not sure how many remember, but there was a similar accident in the dead of summer a few years back where an Explorer went over the same Guard Rail, but further down towards the Automall entrance. The Driver passed away on scene but his younger son lived through it.

The guard rail needs to be higher, and we need better snow maintenance. It's embarrassing for one of Canada's largest cities. An Echelon with even a slower moving Loader at the shoulder with Snow Blower attachment would really clear these main arteries. Other Cities do it. It's BS we can't.
    Originally posted by rage2
    I can't believe I'm driving Ferraris in those vids. I'd never be caught dead in one now.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast