Quantcast
New pc randomly freezes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: New pc randomly freezes

My Ride
    G

Default New pc randomly freezes

Hey guys, so my old computer finally gave out and I built a new pc. Sometimes when I'm working on the computer my monitor will go into sleep mode and the computer becomes unresponsive. I'll move the mouse or press keys on the keyboard and it won't wake from sleep. If I reset the computer then the problem goes away. Also sometimes my cursor just stops working and freezes and when I try to press ctrl+alt+del on the keyboard nothing happens but when it does start to work again, it's extremely laggy.

It's about a week old, the only things I have installed on the computer is adobe cs6, firefox, trend micro, malwarebytes, blackberry desktop software and itunes. I recently installed flash player plugin because I needed it for my online classes. OS and programs are installed on the SSD and pictures, music etc are on the HDD

The parts I bought from memory express:
    Intel i7-4770 3.40GHz
    Asus Z87-A Mobo LGA 1150
    Patriot 16GB Viper 3 1600MHz C10 kit
    Corsair Force LS series 120GB SSD
    Seagate 2TB Barracuda 7200RPM
    Cooler Master CM690-II Advanced Case
    2x Bitfenix 120 mm Spectre Fan
    120mm Cooler master cooling fan
    Bytecc Card reader
    Win 7 Pro SP1 64bit

Parts I reused from my old computer
    OCZ 650 watt psu
    Geforce gtx550 ti

I'm not very good with computers so I don't know where to begin to look for possible causes. Thanks again

My Ride
    Grimace

I would say check your power settings, sounds like it is hybernating or going to sleep on its own. Doesn't sound like you have installed anything weird. Mayb ctrl shift escape and see what is not responding to see the freezing issue. I know flash is a POS and freezes all the time on my internet browser then crashes and it is back to normal.

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

I have about 10 asus PCs and that use to happen

try firmware update of the bios,

check to see if you plugged into the SSD caching port on asus boards, sometimes that feature screws things up.

turn off advanced power managed in the bios and sleep in OS for last resort.

Sometimes you get lucky with techs from ASUS, just like the service manuals, they use broken English.

If it still does not work create a Asus RMA -

Be prepared sometimes your RMA Is not processed you just have to do it again.

My Ride
    GT TDi

irq conflict haha
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

My Ride
    G

Originally posted by thetransporter
    I have about 10 asus PCs and that use to happen

try firmware update of the bios,

check to see if you plugged into the SSD caching port on asus boards, sometimes that feature screws things up.

Memory express checked for updates before I took the mobo home, but I can try that. How do I check if I plugged the SSD into a caching port? Sorry I'm not very good with this sort of thing, The 2 cords running to my SSD are a sata cord that I plugged into the lowest sata number on the mobo and the power cord.

Just to clarify, the monitor is what goes to sleep. The tower still is running because I can see the lcds still lit up and the fans work. Pressing keyboard and moving mouse doesn't wake up the monitor

update video drivers. most of the time when when mine starts crashing randomly, its the video driver. do a full uninstall/reinstall, although sometime you can get away with the clean install option. the latest drivers from nvidia had me doing random crashes (r331), updated to the newest beta (331.93) and problem when away.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by bart
    irq conflict haha
    god those were the days .... TSR anyone??

My Ride
    acura TYPE A

Originally posted by JC522

Memory express checked for updates before I took the mobo home, but I can try that. How do I check if I plugged the SSD into a caching port? Sorry I'm not very good with this sort of thing, The 2 cords running to my SSD are a sata cord that I plugged into the lowest sata number on the mobo and the power cord.

Just to clarify, the monitor is what goes to sleep. The tower still is running because I can see the lcds still lit up and the fans work. Pressing keyboard and moving mouse doesn't wake up the monitor
    can you remote desktop into it or ping it (from another computer, or Windows or Android mobile device? turn on Remote desktop and turn off fire wall -

My Ride
    2005 Dirtymax

Originally posted by thetransporter

can you remote desktop into it or ping it (from another computer, or Windows or Android mobile device? turn on Remote desktop and turn off fire wall -
    Remote Desktop only works if you are running Professional or higher.

Personally I would be changing out that power supply as ocz has never been known to be "good" quality.

Also what devices do you have plugged into the computer?

Also make sure the ram is properly setup in the bios and not defaulted to XMP settings or something weird.

You will want to set it up to use the timings and voltages specified for said ram.

Originally posted by firebane

Personally I would be changing out that power supply as ocz has never been known to be "good" quality.
    I had the "wake from sleep" problem on my desktop a couple of years ago - I swapped out the power supply and the problem went away.

"Hell, that computer was older than most of you beyonders."
    Has an IQ of 138, but can't figure out basic algebra.

My Ride
    G

the only things connected to the computer are my printer and a wacom intuos5. Yesterday my screen flickered off and then back on and i got a notification saying my video card driver failed and then recovered. I haven't been able to tinker with the computer much because of christmas stuff but I'll be looking into your suggestions when I get more free time.

How do I tell if the ram is set up properly when I;m in bios

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

^ you may have a setting out of place with the capabilities of your GPU. The display driver will crash if you set it to do something your GPU cant handle. Could be lack of power at the GPU as well.