Quantcast
Post your top 5 of 2013 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Post your top 5 of 2013

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Post your top 5 of 2013

We've seen some incredible photos posted this year and I'm sure many that weren't! Top 3's are cliche and hard so I chose top 5 A little explanation or background is a plus if required. Looking forward to seeing this year's best
    Ultracrepidarian

I guess I'll start.

Even though I didnt shoot much this year I tried to get more into car photos so I hit up a few drift events. This was my first time shooting drifting and I quickly realized I can't pan worth crap so I spent the time trying to document the night in a more "journalistic" way.

This one is high iso and slightly soft but I like the mood in here.

Self portrait made to look like a scene from the movie Springbreakers.

Our dragstrip has some awesome sunsets.

Homemade filter+shooting into the sun equals some cool flares.

My Ride
    rally pig

here's mine in chronological order

1. Disneyworld
    Love the expression of the boy compared to the dressed up girl posing as Snow White with the 7 Dwarves background, plus I like the Fuji colors on this shot.

DSCF8062 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

2. Panoramic photography
    First roll on the Xpan and I immediately fell in love with panoramic photography. It's one of my go to camera for travelling now.

Scan-130725-0005 by earl.dieta, on Flickr

3. Chocolate Hills, Bohol
    One of my must see natural wonders in the world, I forced everyone to get up at 4AM just so that we could see the hills during sunrise.
    Taken 2 months before the earthquake that hit Bohol, so the viewpoint where I took this shot is now ruined, same as some of the chocolate hills.

Chocolate Hills sunrise, Bohol by earl.dieta, on Flickr

4. Seven Commando Beach, El Nido, Palawan
    One of the nicest place we've ever been to, pretty laid back place, so many islands to hop to with clean clear water and sand.

Crystal clear water in Seven Commando Beach, El Nido, Palawan by earl.dieta, on Flickr

5. Monument Valley
    Another place that has always been on my bucket list, taken with the Xpan. Funny enough I was reminiscing the place last night before falling asleep

img690-Edit by earl.dieta, on Flickr

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

1. NY, NY. My first trip to NY in nearly a decade, so it was my time shooting there with a real camera. Really loved the gritty look of this one, and the blur of the train while still able to make out the 'Murican flag.

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

2. Heritage Park. Was shooting photos for our work kids party, and I tweaked my shoulders pretty bad shooting this one. I guess a full on 180 rotation with a heavy camera while the swing was going at full speed isn't really great for my underused shoulder muscles.

click for larger version

3. Lac Des Roches, B.C. Woke up before everyone else in the morning and had to run back and grab my camera to catch this one before the sun crested past the trees.

click for larger version

4. Mormon Temple Calgary. I've been meaning to shoot pics of this amazing piece of architecture since it starting dwarfing the skyline at my house, and caught it at dusk along with my car. This was one of the most extreme lightroom shots I had to do, because the exposure of the background was way off compared to my car to make it work. Matte Black cars are a PITA to shoot because it sucks in so much light.

click for larger version

5. SEMA 2013 Las Vegas. I had the chance to shoot quite a few car shows in 2013, and if you've ever had a chance to go to one, trying to capture anything on camera is a PITA due to the crowds. This was my favorite shot of the car show season this year, not only is it a wicked car, but to catch a clean shot with so many people walking by was just pure luck. My only complaint, you can kinda see my reflection in the carbon fibre weave.

click for larger version
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    '01 B15 Sentra & '10 C11X Versa 6Sp 5Dr

1. Andean Condor
    Our first year getting a zoo membership and we've spent an extrodinary amount of time there this year. It really hit us when we found out that the South America building was damaged beyond repair and now I'm unlikely to see another Andean Condor any time soon.

2. Calgary June Flood
    I was really lucky to have been largely unaffected by the flood this year. Thanks to this photo, I'm actually ahead by a small monetary amount as a direct result of the flood. So, the flood has a net positive effect for me personally.

3. Bald Eagle
    We had our first ever visit to the Coaldale Bird of Prey Centre this year when we went down to Lethbridge for the air show. Absolutely amazing experience for bird lovers.

4. Grain Elevator
    This summer we covered 8000km travelling the backroads of Alberta visiting grain elevators. Fascinating history behind these buildings. This experience turned me towards shooting series of photographs rather than individual images and as a result killed my attempt at a Project 365 this year.

5. Maho Beach
    Took a family trip w/ the missus and the inlaws and was able to visit Maho Beach in Sint Maarten. I really like photos where it could only have been taken at a certain place/time. Where it's possible for the viewer to determine the place/time just by looking at the photograph.
    Someday we may need to activate the halo structure off Deerfoot and destroy the North East.

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

hardly got the camera out this year, so most of these are from the phone... but i still like the moments that were captured:

click for larger version
    gnar day in revy

click for larger version
    random stop a couple blocks from my house on a test ride

click for larger version
    where the elbow and bow meet facing fort calgary during the floods

click for larger version
    cleaning up the cars before battle at the bridge during street wheelers

click for larger version
    found this friggin hilarious i dub it "executive dog is not impressed"
    Last edited by ercchry; 12-23-2013 at 04:31 PM.

My Ride
    2015 Ram 1500

Lots of great stuff from everyone this year.

I saw this thread pop up and thought to myself it was going to be no problem. Figured that since I didn't shoot much this year (by far the least I've shot since 2009) it would take me 30 seconds to pick out a few favorites...boy was I wrong, I went through and randomly grabbed some that I really liked and ended up with 15. oops.

Pared it down to 5 with some help from the wife...I believe this is in chronological order:

1. My first MotoGP race at Circuit of the Americas in April. So much fun.

2. The Royal Canadian Pacific EMD units at Dewinton

3. A fishing boat in Roche Cove near Sooke BC

4. Couldn't be a list of favorites without my daughter from Mexico in November

5. And while it's from a similar location as the above, this was probably my favorite shot of the year...It turned out basically exactly as I had hoped.

Originally posted by HeavyD
    you know you are making the right decision if Toma opposes it.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Great submissions guys! Really appreciate the explanations as well. Hopefully more are able to submit their favorites as the year comes to a close.

This year encompassed working a ton, then going on vacation a ton, then renovating and back to work. My photo time was mainly limited to my overlanding trip but still managed to get out and get some wonderful shots - to pick 5 is still very difficult for me. I think I'll put together my favorites from Africa in a separate thread because I have a lot of photos I'm very happy to share.

So in chronological order:

Day 1 of my overlanding trip in Lake Nakuru, Kenya. The sun was on its way down and for nearly a whole minute, I had someone pointing out this leopard that for the life of me I just could not see. It ended up being the only one on my entire trip. This was the first shot I got after finally spotting him in the tree, and the timing couldn't have been any better. Unbelievably, I was only one that got a shot of him leaving the tree.

20130504-DSC_2709 by msommers00, on Flickr

I particularly like this photo, though I think I may be the only one! To me I get a sense of community, and exclusion, which in the Serengeti can mean the difference between life and death.

20130523-DSC_5457 by msommers00, on Flickr

This next image needs more work in post but I still find it beautiful. It's atop Dune 45 in Sossusvlei, Namibia at about 5:00am. The dunes are as breathtaking as everyone says - I would encourage everyone to go at least once. I got a lot of dune photos I've had in my head for awhile and came out a pretty happy camper. However, could easily go back!

20130626-NambiaPano1 by msommers00, on Flickr

Our tour had two options as a final destination: Jo'burg or Cape Town. Seeing Great Whites has been on my bucketlist since I first made one so needless to say, the decision was easy. This isn't a particular great picture at all, but the memories are fantastic - This was close to Dyer Island. There is nothing that accurately describes how intense it is being in low visibility water and these massive beasts suddenly appearing and slowly coming towards you, their eye locked on your's the entire time. Fucking. Amazing.

20130702-P1000294 by msommers00, on Flickr

Finally my last entry. This was the first time that I have been on the ground and witnessed the Northern Lights. I was out at Barrier Lake waiting for something more exciting to happen and then bam, the sky literally lit up, and I caught myself grinning uncontrollably. It was really memorable and exciting for me.

20131001-DSC_6316 by msommers00, on Flickr
    Ultracrepidarian

My Ride
    Fiesta ST

This was an interesting year for me. I literally spent a total of 2 hours out doing landscape photography where as normally it's a big focus for me. Time just didn't seem to be there to do it properly in the mountains, and we didn't have any exotic trips this year.

My one landscape photo of 2013, pretty much the last one I shot that night before calling it quits. Neck Point park in Nanaimo with a M and 12mm CV.

L1008500 by ryankarr, on Flickr

I'm not a street photographer, but when I got my Monochrom I had fun with harsh mid day shadows. 35mm Summicron, scale focus and shooting from the hip:

L1003744 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Hanging out with my son, I like this one because it shows the pure joy that comes from a cardboard box. Monochrom and 35mm FLE.

L1010860 by ryankarr, on Flickr

Waiting in the front yard for my wife to finish getting ready, my son was trying to catch bugs. Ricoh GR:

Chasing Bugs by ryankarr, on Flickr

One of my youngest son the morning after he was born. This was after a rough night of him not wanting to sleep, along with lots of screaming because of heel pokes to check his blood sugar, this was the first time things really felt under control. Monochrom and 75 Lux:

Hudson 14 hours old by ryankarr, on Flickr

My Ride
    Depends on the day

This was my most popular with 10,000 views and 300 favs.

<3 by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

This was my second most popular.

Sunrise from the tall grass by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

One of my best friends practicing his craft.

Honor Bound Tattoo 2013 by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

My favorite achitecture shot from 2013 with one of Taemo's cameras

Calgary standing tall by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

And an iPhone shot.

Frosty morning by Kelly Gibbons, on Flickr

My Ride
    2010 GMC Sierra, Rocky ETSX-70

I didn't shoot a whole lot this last year, and what I did shoot was all about my family and my daughter.

Our first time travelling, we went down to Arizona for a week. Mom and little one sharing a conversation.

Our first camping trip, she had just learned how to walk so wanted to walk everywhere.

Having fresh PEI lobster for the first time. She loved it.

A trip to Jamaica for my brothers wedding.

My Ride
    Exploded.

2013 was a big travelling year for me so I'll share my favorite 5:

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

My Ride
    S54 M Coupe

I actually made it out of the country for a while this year... It was nice to get out and travel. I did Vegas, the whole Pacific coast, Ontario... it was a good year.

This one is in Edmonton, at a fundraiser for STARS Air Ambulance. The F355 will probably always be my favorite Ferrari (and the first one I'll buy one day)

click for larger version

This one was during a severe thunderstorm here in town. I shot it without a tripod, and I'm upset the car is a little blurry, but I still love this picture.

click for larger version

Went to the zoo with a friend... she was shooting film and I caught this Emu through a fence with my Canon.

click for larger version

Caught this cute bugger just hanging out in the San Diego Zoo. Fueled my love of these Red Pandas, they're just hilariously adorable things.

click for larger version

And then THE shot of 2013 for me. Simply because of the content; seeing USS Iowa up close and being on board her was an unreal experience.

click for larger version

And a bonus shot...

click for larger version

There's so many from my road trip in the USA to pick and choose from... I had a blast with my camera down there.

My Ride
    Silverado

click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version
    click for larger version

Here's 4, apparently tiny pic is sick of my shit.

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

My favorites of your guys':

Kobe: #5 is just so badass, absolutely fantastic!

Earl: #3 you just can't beat those colours. Lucky to have such a great snap given it's recent changes. Wall hanger buddy!

Rage: #2 is really fun - the blur really adds a lot. Well thought out!

Wilson: #3 has incredible detail and wonderful bokeh. So lucky to be that close!

Eric: #2. The sunbeams really add a great feel to this shot.

Steve: #1 is an incredible example of technique, very nicely done!

Ryan: #5. How could I not pick this one!

Kelly: #4. This is a take on The Bow I've never seen and probably the best! Where did you have your other photos on to get so many views? Big congrats btw.

Seer_claw: #4. So adorable!

Don: #4 has a great feeling to it, very relaxed.

95EagleAWD: #1 is a beauty, great contrast and angle.

dirtsniffer: #2 is wonderful and also very familiar looking. Is that Shirley Heights in Antigua?
    Ultracrepidarian

YYC & a huge farm in the (deep) south, central Sask
    My Ride
    12 cars trucks & bikes. From 1938 till new.

^ Exactly, some of these pics are honestly amazing. I just wish to god I had 1/10th of the photography skill you guys have.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side"

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Great photos guys!

These are photos I finally got around to looking at in 2013:

Cappadocia Balloons 5 by donttouchmychicken, on Flickr

Spiral by donttouchmychicken, on Flickr

Cappadocia Pano (Goreme) by donttouchmychicken, on Flickr

PortoVenereChurch by donttouchmychicken, on Flickr

Lucca by donttouchmychicken, on Flickr
    Last edited by The_Rural_Juror; 01-03-2014 at 12:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

My Ride
    Depends on the day

^ you have had quite a few awesome travel shots this year

Thanks Matt. I go so much exposure on those photos after Flicker featured them after I down loaded them.

My Ride
    Exploded.

It's always been a dream of mine to go on a safari. Quit pushing my buttons, Matt!

My Ride
    Silverado

Originally posted by msommers
    dirtsniffer: #2 is wonderful and also very familiar looking. Is that Shirley Heights in Antigua?
    It sure is!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast