Quantcast
Margin, TFSA and Taxes - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Margin, TFSA and Taxes

My Ride
    Car

Default Margin, TFSA and Taxes

I was just reading here that the interest paid on margin is tax deductible here in Canada. So how does that work if it's in a TFSA? I assume the interest is paid out of your margin'd account when you sell, along with teh commissions, but haven't done it before so could be wrong.

The specific quote if you don't feel like clicking the link:

In Canada you can deduct expenses for investment, including interest, which can make trading on margin more attractive. Instead of paying 7%, I’m actually paying 7% * (1-marginal tax rate). Say my marginal tax rate was 25%, I’m actually only paying 5.25% after I get my tax deduction. With the Bank of Montreal stock I bought recently, I’m anticipating a 4% dividend-yield, which should be 3.5% after I’ve paid taxes (since dividends are taxed at 1/2 the income rate). Therefore if the long term appreciation of this stock is greater than 1.75% buying it on margin makes sense (which is what I did).
    Actually, re-reading that - he says expenses for investment, does that mean commissions are also deductible? If yes, same question applies - how does that work with a TFSA?

No commissions are not deductible directly for taxes with tax-deferred accoutns. Commissions increase the base cost of the investment on purchase or decrease on redemption. That will either reduce or increase your capital gain/loss. With the TFSA or any tax-deferred account, you cannot claim capital loss or gain within the account as you are not being taxed to begin with.