Quantcast
Pre made cat-back vs custom made exhaust. - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pre made cat-back vs custom made exhaust.

Default Pre made cat-back vs custom made exhaust.

What is really so special about full expensive cat-back exhaust systems? There's only 2 made for my car and they are both 600 USD plus shipping. There's only 1 downpipe made for my car that I know of in north america and its 750 USD plus shipping!!! I don't want to pay 2 grand for a 2.5" turbo back exhaust when everything is said and done.

Can someone make good, quiet mandrel bent exhausts locally? How much would a custom 2.5" turbo back be? How bout Cat-back?
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Default Re: Pre made cat-back vs custom made exhaust.

Originally posted by T5_X
    What is really so special about full expensive cat-back exhaust systems?
    They are supposed to have R&D to make them perform good... and they bolt on easily.
    Can someone make good, quiet mandrel bent exhausts locally?
    Yes
    How much would a custom 2.5" turbo back be? How bout Cat-back?
    Turbo back will be expensive cuz you gotta build a new DP. Unless your DP is 1", I dunno why you need a new one. Crush bent cat-back will be around $250 plus muffler. Muffler's cost between $50-500, depending on what you want. If you do DP back and want to keep your cat, you will need a high flow which is around $150.

My Ride
    335i

As far as I understood, we don't have any exhaust shops that had a mandrel bender. I thought they used crushed pipe, which isn't as smooth flowing as mandrel bending. And a pre-made catback isn't made up of 10 different pipes welded together.
    Original Post NAZI Moderated

Originally posted by r3cc0s
    Felon or Mistermeiner

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

local shops use pre-mandrel-bent corners and weld them onto straight pieces of pipe to custom make a mandrel exhaust, because you're right, i dont htink anyone has a mandrel bender in town.
    2 doors and 4 rings

My Ride
    93 240sx SE, 17 Infiniti Q50S, 2008 Highlander

Yeap..ur right...

Theres no shop in town that has a mandrel bending machine..just a crush bent one...places only offer...pre-bent mandrel corners as VWHooligan states...

I've been doin alot of shoppin around also cuz I need a 2.5" custom bent catback exhaust but if u have a turbo..shouldnt u go 3"??

but as for crush bent piping..if u go 2.5"...wherever the bends r..it will shrink to like 2"..then go back to 2.5"..so its not really 2.5" all the way thru...but mandrel is more expensive
    Originally posted by GTS Jeff
    You know those bored stay at home moms who's entire lives revolve around driving their kids to soccer, various cleaning accessories, and worrying about neighbourhood rapists? The kind of people that watch the View and go "uh huh..." Those unfulfilled people who try to fill the void in their empty lives by writing whiny letters to the editor complaining about shit that no one really cares about?

Well imagine if instead of writing that letter to the editor, she just posts on a car forum for car enthusiasts. That's Kritafo.

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

Id love to be able to have a custom full titanium exhaust made but if there isn't a mandrel bender in Calgary chances are I wont even be able to find titanium mandrel bends
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
    Id love to be able to have a custom full titanium exhaust made but if there isn't a mandrel bender in Calgary chances are I wont even be able to find titanium mandrel bends
    perhaps you could purchase the titanium mandrel bends through a 3rd party that can madnrel bend pipes, and then get them shipped locally?
    2 doors and 4 rings

My Ride

Originally posted by VWhooligan

perhaps you could purchase the titanium mandrel bends through a 3rd party that can madnrel bend pipes, and then get them shipped locally?
    Ive looked into that and it's possible, the next challenge however is finding someone to weld titanium which is next to impossible
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles

Red Deer, AB

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

Ive looked into that and it's possible, the next challenge however is finding someone to weld titanium which is next to impossible
    and the prices add up and you think to yourself, "is it even worth it?"
    2 doors and 4 rings

Originally posted by dj_rice
    Yeap..ur right...

Theres no shop in town that has a mandrel bending machine..just a crush bent one...places only offer...pre-bent mandrel corners as VWHooligan states...

I've been doin alot of shoppin around also cuz I need a 2.5" custom bent catback exhaust but if u have a turbo..shouldnt u go 3"??

but as for crush bent piping..if u go 2.5"...wherever the bends r..it will shrink to like 2"..then go back to 2.5"..so its not really 2.5" all the way thru...but mandrel is more expensive
    I want 2.5" because I want my car to be quiet. Apparently there is also not much difference in performance between a 3" and 2.5" when the car is running under 280HP, which is what I'd have max with the exhaust and chip.

So do the pre made systems flow all that much better than ones that are welded up? Are ones that are welded up typically louder, or does that depend mainly on the muffler you select? How much would a welded up mandrel bent from the cat back be approx? (not including cost of muffler)
    "Its because they're stupid, that's why. That's why everyone does everything."

My Ride

Originally posted by VWhooligan

and the prices add up and you think to yourself, "is it even worth it?"
    If I could do it all for under $1000 Id be happy:
    JIC titanium muffler $400
    remaining $600 for supplies and labour.
    Keep in mind it would be going on an mr2 which has an extremely short exhaust system so I wouldnt need too much piping

Red Deer, AB

So do the pre made systems flow all that much better than ones that are welded up? Are ones that are welded up typically louder, or does that depend mainly on the muffler you select? How much would a welded up mandrel bent from the cat back be approx? (not including cost of muffler)
    you can make it as loud or as quiet as you want depending on the parts you choose. If you put on a cat and a huge resonator with a quiet muffler, then its possible that it'll be quieter than a pre-fabbed exhaust system.

My Ride
    STI

I made my own turbo back set up at my dads shop! Bought a hole bunch of Mandril bent U bends. Went to a muffler shop and bought the plates and gaskets for the differedn't bolting spots. took off the old set up and mimiced it with the 2.5' , cut ,welded and slaped her on with just a straight through 2.5 muffler. Not overly loud and has really great flow. Did it all for under 400$ Looks very professional. If i have a digi cam i would post some pics but i don't I think i want to add a resonator to it to quiet it down a bit. Oh yeah i have no cat and sound quality is still very nice because of the turbo.
    Buy all the parts. Cut to size and find someone to weld it for ya!
    ??? Just an idea hope this helps!

My Ride
    pedals

granted this is NA application, but i got downpipe back 2.25" pipe with high flow rezonator and muffler installed for 160 including tax (free muffla from my dad). It just depends on where you go.

My Ride
    Mazdaspeed 6/2003 P5/1970 Charger

Yah, i got my exhaust done at Carline, they used mandrel bent aluminized 2.25" pipe (well many pipes welded together) and it cost me $200, catback not including muffler which i had already. It looks like they did a really good job, the welds are clean and it sounds great! Good value in my opinion and it shouldn't rust.
    I aint no junky.... I just keep it funky

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Originally posted by funkytuqe
    Yah, i got my exhaust done at Carline, they used mandrel bent aluminized 2.25" pipe (well many pipes welded together) and it cost me $200, catback not including muffler which i had already. It looks like they did a really good job, the welds are clean and it sounds great! Good value in my opinion and it shouldn't rust.
    I got the same thing but DP back and 2.5 which was a little more. They do good work.

My Ride
    STI

Get it made Best bang for you buck!$$$

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

Originally posted by gpomp

I got the same thing but DP back and 2.5 which was a little more. They do good work.
    i'll agree here, carline does some good things, they hung my pre-made exhaust for me.
    2 doors and 4 rings

My Ride
    STI

They hung your exhust for you.... you could do that in 20 mins by your self for free.

My Ride
    2002 Audi TT

Originally posted by ^SkylinE^
    They hung your exhust for you.... you could do that in 20 mins by your self for free.
    by hung, i mean extended 3" and moved over 2" to fit my body kit.

i don't have the necessary tools to weld it myself.
    2 doors and 4 rings

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast