Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star Citizen - A PC Space Sim

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Default Star Citizen - A PC Space Sim

I think this could be amazing!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/about-the-game

Could be. We'll see.

I don't think I've ever been so skeptical about a game.

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Originally posted by Mibz
    Could be. We'll see.

I don't think I've ever been so skeptical about a game.
    What part of it are you skeptical about?

I like that there are no big name publishers behind it *cough* EA *cough* that are pushing production to meet some BS release date, but that also means we have no real idea when it will be properly released. I like the pledge system for supporting the game, although I thought some of the prices were a bit steep.

Will be keeping my eye on it though.

This is now the most hyped game out there, and it's only going to get more and more hyped as time goes on. They've got $35 million and extreme expectations. It'll be impossible to live up to them.

As you mentioned, they've got a virtually unlimited timetable. At least when a publisher is pushing for a release date it means shit gets done. I agreed that unrealistic deadlines cause problems but this game has gone too far in the other direction. People wrote a cheque for $35 million and said "We need a product, it doesn't need to be good and it doesn't need to be released this decade". I strongly doubt we're going to get quality, we're going to get a bunch of 60% finished modules that don't work very well together.

I want this game to be everything it promises, I really do, and I'll gladly eat my words if it pulls it off, but my expectation is that it will be a colossal failure.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Bump.

Elite: Dangerous is another PC space sim. Supposed to be much more massive than Star Citizen but probably more limited in depth.

This game looks interesting and will have its own economy which will be cool. Like EVE Online only first and third person.

Intense graphics for sure. If I jump on this game, I will have to spring for a much better machine than I have now.

I'll be waiting until this actually gets released before doing anything... God only knows when that will happen.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    GTI

I've put $140 into this game. Will probably put in more. The attention to detail is amazing. The pre-alpha dog fighting is pretty fun, and there should be a lot more to do in 2 week or so.

Originally posted by Mibz
    I want this game to be everything it promises, I really do, and I'll gladly eat my words if it pulls it off, but my expectation is that it will be a colossal failure.
    My opinion hasn't changed in 9 months, but the lack of hype lately is actually promising.

My Ride
    6.2 / 690

Seems like a good reason to finally build a new rig.

My Ride
    is broken

Chiming in. Just "Pledged" the Avenger. I have high hopes for this game. With the funding they have now (54 mil) they should have a serious contender. The problem i see is trying to make the game comprehensive enough so everyone from star wars fans to star trek to futurama can enjoy this.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

My Ride
    2015 VW GTI

Zero G FPS Sneak Peek.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Elite Dangerous launched.

Someone should get it and tell me how it is! I'm stuck at work for the next week!

https://www.elitedangerous.com/

400 billion star systems!
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Elite goes something like this:

1. Excitement to start playing.
    2. Frustration with learning how to fly, dock, controls.
    3. Amazement especially with the Oculus Rift. It's truly a mind blowing experience.
    4. Bliss at exploring star systems and building up money to buy new ships and gear.
    5. Boredom as there is no compelling story line or real way to affect the universe. If you go to a combat star system, you can just sit there and fight constantly spawning enemies forever in a battle that can never be won.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by JustinL
    Elite goes something like this:

1. Excitement to start playing.
    2. Frustration with learning how to fly, dock, controls.
    3. Amazement especially with the Oculus Rift. It's truly a mind blowing experience.
    4. Bliss at exploring star systems and building up money to buy new ships and gear.
    5. Boredom as there is no compelling story line or real way to affect the universe. If you go to a combat star system, you can just sit there and fight constantly spawning enemies forever in a battle that can never be won.
    Is that past experience of Elite games or specifically this one? It sounds good and bad. It visually looks good... but if its anything like EVE and the learning curve is so steep its painful, then I may pass.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp

Is that past experience of Elite games or specifically this one? It sounds good and bad. It visually looks good... but if its anything like EVE and the learning curve is so steep its painful, then I may pass.
    I've only played Elite: Dangerous, so I can't really comment on the previous versions. It is a really cool experience and a must have if you've got a Rift. I do enjoy a lot of aspects of the game, but I can't help but feel that it needs more content. I know that sounds weird with a 1:1 scale of the milky way. Hopefully Star Citizens story will be a bit more fleshed out.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Speaking of the Oculous, how is it? I see it's still in the "developers only" phase, but really how's it working on a consumer level?
    Quote Originally Posted by DonJuan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Came back to ogle 2Legit2Quit wife's buns...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kloubek View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're certainly big, but I don't know if they are the BEST I've tasted.

My Ride
    Touareg, Cayenne, 944s

I'm using the DK2 and it's not ready for full consumer release yet. It sure gives you an idea of things to come. For space sim games it will be really incredible. Depth perception from the stereoscopic effects is really cool. You can use your eyes to judge how far away an asteroid or a piece of debris is. Combat is awesome because you can look around the canopy at your targets. The holographic instruments actually pop in 3-D and look like real holograms. Big space stations actually look big from the outside and the inside.

Reading text is tough, and there's a lot of reading text in Elite. The weight of the device hurts my face and head after more than 30 minutes. The resolution is low and you can see the pixels if you are trying to spot something in the distance. These are all fixable issues for the consumer release which should coincide with Star Citizen. I can't go back to screens for Elite though, it's too good with the Rift even though it hurts.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

They have actually put the realistic locations of the Voyager probes in Elite. Pretty cool.

http://news.discovery.com/space/voya...rse-141231.htm
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Bump.

Anyone following the development of Star Citizen still?

I pledged a few hundred bucks back in September. That was back in Alpha version 1.3 with the hangar, social, and dogfighting modules out.

We are now at version Alpha 2.1.2 with all modules listed above plus a glimpse of the persistent universe (I call it a demo) with some multicrew ships and fps combat.

It's interesting being a player and pledging to this project because it somewhat allows you to have an inside look at how the game is made.

It is not without its bugs and glitches but it's pretty fun and looks incredible.

One thing, they seem to be struggling with server stability. Sometimes I get lucky and end up with a solid connection and sometimes I end up with a crappy one. It causes either a crash to desktop or the frames per second degrade over time to something that becomes unplayable.

If you get on a good server and hold over 30 fps, the game is super fun.
    Looking around
    Wondering what became
    Of what I once knew

My Ride
    S14|TB1

I'm not usually into the space games - at most maybe FPS space games, I thought NMS as a concept was interesting though but after that huge disappointment, this game looks pretty good after watching the latest footage from CitizenCon:

My Ride
    is broken

Still following. Patiently waiting for 3.0.

Feel free to add me if anyone is interested.
    Operator Of Beyond's Official Cardano pool.
    Magical internet money for everyone!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast