Quantcast
Garage planning and building - Page 3 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Garage planning and building

My Ride
    Canyonero

Originally posted by pheoxs
    Can anyone that's had a garage built lately mind posting the size/details and price please?

I'm going to start looking at houses in a couple months and want to plan to have a garage, looking for a rough figure to compare if I find a house with a double garage vs just a house with sufficient lot for one how much I'd be spending to build a garage.

Is ~30k reasonable? It'll probably be build myself with my dads help, just don't know the cost of materials/concrete/permits etc in Calgary.
    30k is pretty high. If you are building it yourself, garage packages for a basic 22x24 will be under 10k and the pad might be 3-4k. Budget 15-20k for a double you build yourself.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by prae

30k is pretty high. If you are building it yourself, garage packages for a basic 22x24 will be under 10k and the pad might be 3-4k. Budget 15-20k for a double you build yourself.
    Where would be best to look at the packages? Just like Home Depot?

I did mine about 4years ago. My 24x24 pad with 20" concrete wall cost 7700. Garage package was about 5400 c/w 2x6 construction. Garage door was bought thru my friends pa for about 800. Permit is about 400. Electrical is about 500. These are prices if you do it yourself and if you know people in trades and in the supplier biz. Then tack on extras for opener, gas & heat, insulation, drywall etc.

Originally posted by prae

That price on the pad seems quite low; I would have expected $8-9k for the pad alone.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Should be able to do the ground work for a pad yourself, or at least the rebar work. Then you just pay for the placement of the concrete. Either way, your cost should be reduced.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    4x4

Where would be best to look at the packages? Just like Home Depot?
    Check the usual suspects - as well as star building materials (alyth/Blackfoot) and crap who's the other one. ... Used to be trusses then they started doing it all...

Star building material and rona for packages

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Who have you guys used for the cement pad? Short of calling my builder to see who they use I'd like some recommendations of people you have used in the past. Not necessarily looking for the cheapest but for the best service and product.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Got my first quote today because the misses insists I see what it would cost a contractor to build it.

For a 24'x26' with 10' walls, 8' garage door, custom vaulted scissor trusses, and a 60 amp sub panel it would come to just shy of $29,000. This would be with an unfinished inside but includes all of the drawings, permits, concrete work, a digital keypad lock, 1 door and 1 window.

I'm thinking maybe I don't need the custom vaulted scissor trusses and I have many friends who are journeymen electricians that could do the sub panel for me. If I knock those two "add-ons" off then I would be right around $25,000 without insulating, drywall, or running a gas line.

Thoughts?
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    02 RSX

Originally posted by schurchill39
    Got my first quote today because the misses insists I see what it would cost a contractor to build it.

For a 24'x26' with 10' walls, 8' garage door, custom vaulted scissor trusses, and a 60 amp sub panel it would come to just shy of $29,000. This would be with an unfinished inside but includes all of the drawings, permits, concrete work, a digital keypad lock, 1 door and 1 window.

I'm thinking maybe I don't need the custom vaulted scissor trusses and I have many friends who are journeymen electricians that could do the sub panel for me. If I knock those two "add-ons" off then I would be right around $25,000 without insulating, drywall, or running a gas line.

Thoughts?
    Hey, do you know who is supplying the trusses? and do you have a picture of how they would look? I am building a garage and want more clearance inside as well.

Thank You

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by Russo

Hey, do you know who is supplying the trusses? and do you have a picture of how they would look? I am building a garage and want more clearance inside as well.

Thank You
    No I don't, it was a quote. Google vaulted scissor truss.
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Second quote was for $24,150
    I'm generally cute.

For a 24'x26' with 10' walls, 8' garage door

That can easily accommodate an 8'x18' or even an 8'x20' door. Wider is better especially if you have a truck or SUV. I have an 7'x18' door with window panels, but no windows in the rest of the garage.

Also plan to have plenty of lighting. My garage has 9 fixtures (24 T8 tubes total) on 3 independent switches.

My Ride
    Has wheels

Something that my dad did was put up vinyl panels on the walls and ceilings. It's bright, easy to clean and I think it looks fine.

Not a close up of the walls but to give you an idea (don't mind the pose haha):

Last edited by brucebanner; 04-13-2014 at 08:04 PM.

My Ride
    Ioniq 5

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

That can easily accommodate an 8'x18' or even an 8'x20' door. Wider is better especially if you have a truck or SUV. I have an 7'x18' door with window panels, but no windows in the rest of the garage.

Also plan to have plenty of lighting. My garage has 9 fixtures (24 T8 tubes total) on 3 independent switches.

Out of curiousity how much did everything cost you or did you build it / finish it yourself?

Out of curiousity how much did everything cost you or did you build it / finish it yourself?
    The garage is attached to the house that was built in 1997 so the only thing I can speak to in terms of cost would be the builder upgrade charges and the DIY fluorescent lighting.

I looked up my garage door upgrade from a regular 7'x16' to a 7'x18' was $467 (in 1997 dollars) and another $380 to add window panels. Fluorescent lighting project was done in 2013 for about $650 including adding a second garage circuit.

The yellowish drywall on the walls was also a DIY project a few months after moving in. Builder did the insulation and vapour barrier and I did the drywall with a buddy to save some money. We were too lazy to tape and mud it.

One more thing I can add is to upgrade the man door to 36" wide.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Third quote came in at $26,500 with 2x6 construction, a crawl space in the rafters and a gas line ran. It would be another $1200 for a Renzor heater. This is with no electrical and some fancy lift master 8500 side mount lift.

I'm not sure how I feel about 2x6 construction. I don't think that's really necessary for a garage. What are beyond's thoughts?
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Lease

I'm not sure how I feel about 2x6 construction. I don't think that's really necessary for a garage. What are beyond's thoughts?
    What's the price difference to 2x4? (sorry not tracking u in case you've already stated)

I just think 2x6 would increase R value (fit more insulation), more sturdy.

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

If anyone is building themselves and needs an extra window, I got a used one here anyone can have for $20. Just throwing it out there as I know a lot of packages only come with one window which is a crime. Also recommend garage door windows, really help with the light in the garage

My Ride
    2020 Subaru Forester Sport

Third quote came in at $26,500 with 2x6 construction, a crawl space in the rafters and a gas line ran. It would be another $1200 for a Renzor heater. This is with no electrical and some fancy lift master 8500 side mount lift.

I did 2x4 in mine and it's fine....I don't really see the point of 2x6 really.

The side mount lift is great, I got one in my house and my door is pretty much an inch from the ceiling, allowing for maximum clearance.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast