Quantcast
Do we have the wrong idea about charity? (TED talk) - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Do we have the wrong idea about charity? (TED talk)

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

Default Do we have the wrong idea about charity? (TED talk)

I've definitely been in the 'too much overhead camp' for awhile, and in some ways I still think a lot of money can too easily be squandered, but he does make some very good points. There are some after-talk comments from him on their radio program as well.

http://www.npr.org/2013/07/05/181693...-about-charity

What are you thoughts on his approach?
    Ultracrepidarian

Default Re: Do we have the wrong idea about charity? (TED talk)

Originally posted by msommers

What are you thoughts on his approach?
    Can't say, as I didn't watch.

Often the "Too much overhead" is used as an excuse by folks who probably don't give elsewhere anyways.

I feel I'm a charitable person, but typically don't give to large charities. Particularly the medical ones, which I see as funnels to big-pharma.

And forget the pink ribbon thing.. .biggest scam ever.

We support Local charities such as Meow foundation, Sheriff King homes, and Families matter... I feel the money goes direct and is well used locally.

United Way I don't, as I object to their invasive behavior in the corporate world. Plus I prefer to personally choose recipients, rather than the scattershot-via-proxy-method.

Red Cross I send money to - As big as they are, no one has the reach or abilities that they do.

Probably the greatest gift one can give is the gift of time, through volunteering, and sadly I'm a miser on that front.

Update: Just watched the video. Cole's notes: The social stigma against charities using money for overhead is limiting their ability to develop. If charities felt more able to put money to their own growth, they'd be able to grow, become more effective, and increase their own intake, with the end result being able to put more money to their intended effort.
    Last edited by LollerBrader; 01-04-2014 at 12:35 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

I prefer to volunteer my time. When I do give money, I try to keep it local; the exception is United Way. I'll participate in the work drives since they come up with some fun stuff to do.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Originally posted by FraserB
    I prefer to volunteer my time. When I do give money, I try to keep it local; the exception is United Way. I'll participate in the work drives since they come up with some fun stuff to do.
    This.

I don't like donating to charities, but if I am going to it is going to be something local. I have zero confidence in the large charities out there and how the money is being used.
    Volunteering will always be the best way to help out and you also get to meet some great people at the same time. I've always had a great time while doing it too. Win/win

My Ride
    Mall Crawler

Originally posted by FraserB
    This
    sig deleted by moderator, because they are useless

My Ride
    Altima Se-R

I work in non-profit, and I agree with most of what he says. Granted, I'm on the arts and culture side, so there's a different kind of stigma associated with the work we do, but ultimately I find that we are often skirting the line between getting by with bare minimum and preparing for growth.
    sig deleted by moderator, click here for info