Quantcast
which is cheaper turning up heat or a portable heat - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: which is cheaper turning up heat or a portable heat

My Ride
    K20A2

Default which is cheaper turning up heat or a portable heat

hi just got a new house in restone builder nuvista been there a week it is a two story house and my master bed is pretty cold i turned it up to 22 and i still feel cold the builder supervisor told me that the furnace is the furtherest away from the master so that why it is colder then the other rooms i put curtains and that did help out a bit but not to my liking. i also cheak the filter and it is clean and i do not have a flame furnace. I did buy a portable heat to heat up the room but i dont think that a house should be like that cause my moms place is fine and it is a two story like mine. should i keep using my portable heater or turn up my thermostat even more which is cheaper? Any suggestion or ideas is great i am a newbie to these house things so i really appreciate it thanks
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

What is cheaper? Natural gas or electricity? If I were you, I'd close a couple of the vents in places you don't need to heat directly, like a spare room, or any room that feels excessively warm. Also unfinished basements are good places to close the vents, especially if you're not down there regularly.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 07:43 PM.

Dont skimp on heating your entire house, for the money you may save lowering your heat and heating selected sections can result in pipe bursts which will cost more in the end
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Is your master bedroom located above your garage?

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Originally posted by codetrap
    What is cheaper? Natural gas or electricity? If I were you, I'd close a couple of the vents in places you don't need to heat directly, like a spare room, or any room that feels excessively warm. Also unfinished basements are good places to close the vents, especially if you're not down there regularly.

Also, is your bedroom over a garage? Unheated garages contribute to heat loss.

If not, I always thought (for the past few years anyway) that gas was cheaper than electricity.

Sugarphreak has a good suggestion as well.

(They only build houses like they used to if the buyer is willing to pay more... cheap materials equals better profit margin obviously.)

Default Re: which is cheaper turning up heat or a portable heat

Originally posted by 95EG6P
    hi just got a new house in restone builder nuvista been there a week it is a two story house and my master bed is pretty cold i turned it up to 22 and i still feel cold the builder supervisor told me that the furnace is the furtherest away from the master so that why it is colder then the other rooms i put curtains and that did help out a bit but not to my liking. i also cheak the filter and it is clean and i do not have a flame furnace. I did buy a portable heat to heat up the room but i dont think that a house should be like that cause my moms place is fine and it is a two story like mine. should i keep using my portable heater or turn up my thermostat even more which is cheaper? Any suggestion or ideas is great i am a newbie to these house things so i really appreciate it thanks
    I have the same problem in my new home. I learned that 22 is not enough heat in winter. When it's cold outside I crank mine to 26 before I feel comfortable in my home. When its warmer outside I turn it down to 22-23. It's been a nasty cold winter so far ...I suggest turn up your heat.

How many vents are in the master?

How much heat is coming out of those vents compared to the other vents?

Some options might be an electric heater, vent boosters, or vent covers that distribute the heat across the floor instead of straight to the ceiling.

Also, heating with gas is much cheaper than heating with electricity.

My Ride
    Bicycle

sweater is cheapest.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

You will need thermometers\hygrometers in the rooms you are in to properly gauge its status.

In the winter, throwing moisture in the air suddenly makes things feel a hell of a lot warmer. The colder the air outside, the more it needs to be heated and thus the lower the humidity in the home and your skin will evaporate water faster - causing it to feel colder.

But if you cheaped out on windows, it will be evident as massive condensation with a humidifier . In our old place we have plastic sheets on most of the big windows (cant even tell) and they are 10x better than without. Zero condensation and we have our place at 40-50% RH.

My Ride
    '21 F150 Lariat Nardo Grey

In my new home, the highest I've ever turned it up is 21. That was during the first cold snap we had. Anything higher and it feels like a sauna. We have the house set around 19-20 and that's very comfortable.

At my dad's house, I'd have to turn it up to 24 to feel warm. His house is 16 years old though.

My Ride
    K20A2

My bedroom is not above a garage as it is detached house and I will take to my builder about this in a fair nice manner thanks for all the suggestions
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by Seth1968
    How many vents are in the master?

How much heat is coming out of those vents compared to the other vents?

Some options might be an electric heater, vent boosters, or vent covers that distribute the heat across the floor instead of straight to the ceiling.

Also, heating with gas is much cheaper than heating with electricity.
    There are 2 vents in room and 1 in the bathroom and 1 in the closet
    Built with Chopsticks

My Ride
    Bicycle

Originally posted by 95EG6P

There are 2 vents in room and 1 in the bathroom and 1 in the closet
    Shut the vents in

- the closet.
    - 1/2 baths
    - Kitchens
    - basement

Increase humidity. Use plastic shield on big windows.

My Ride
    rally pig

are the vents open on all your spare rooms?

we have 2 spare rooms upstairs, one is like a fridge because the vents are close (1 is 20% open), the other, my office, only one vent is open.

basically close the vent in places that least needs it so that the heat will go where it is needed.

our master bedroom w/ bathroom and closet room is always warm, we actually sleep with a fan on all year round.

your thermostat might not be accurate, it might say say 22 but it is actually 18

My Ride
    K20A2

Originally posted by fiveowed
    your thermostat might not be accurate, it might say say 22 but it is actually 18
    i bought some thermometer so i will find out if my thermometer accurate or not and i will put some on the main floor and as well as my master bedroom to find out how much the temp drops
    Built with Chopsticks

If the vents in the bedroom aren't blowing nearly as well as the vents just outside of the bedroom, then check for an obstruction and/or a break in the vent piping.

You can do so by pulling off the vents and taking a few hi-res pictures. View them on your computer and use the zoom as necessary.

My Ride
    FJR1300/2018 Giant Trance 3

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    Dont skimp on heating your entire house, for the money you may save lowering your heat and heating selected sections can result in pipe bursts which will cost more in the end
    Huh? I'm not talking about sealing off the rooms and opening all the windows in them. There's no way he's going to have a burst pipe by closing the vents in rooms he's not actively using, or in the basement. There will be more than enough heat bleeding through to them via good old convection to keep them well above zero.

The easy way to check your vents is to simply turn on your fan, and go and check the vents. Then close off the ones you don't directly need until you get the air movement you desire in your master. Oh, the other thing to check, is make sure you haven't blocked your cold air return. That makes a world of difference.
    Last edited by codetrap; 01-04-2014 at 09:50 PM.

"We need a vaccination for stupidity, with booster shots against an unwillingness to learn."

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:53 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast