Quantcast
how the heck do you break into o&g? - Page 4 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: how the heck do you break into o&g?

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

@icy2unk and woody...

There is a fundamental difference between Haskayne grads and Econ grads, its thought process. Believe it or not, the years you spend in University DOES change the way you think, in some cases permanently.

I can't say for certain what Haskayne does to you, but my best ball park is teaches you process and application. Econ mostly teaches you to think. Its an ass load of theory, a little application, and focuses heavily on thinking about the two combined.

But one things for certain: many Haskayne students believe Econ is easy as shit, because they take classes with Tracey. Let me set up your Econ stream and I PROMISE you will kiss your 3.7 good bye. And no, Money & Banking is not in that stream.
    On Sabbatical

My Ride
    V8s

Originally posted by themack89
    @icy2unk and woody...

I can't say for certain what Haskayne does to you,

Based on what I've seen, it turns people to arrogant douches.

(Before OP gets defensive, this comment is not directed solely at him. My opinion has been formed over the last few years.)

My Ride
    Car

I didn't even go to U of C

My Ride
    Born in Stuttgart

I like how this has turned into one giant pissing match between Haskayne and Econ grads.

The biggest problem with new grads these days are the sense of entitlement. The salary and responsibility expectations out of school are laughable. I blame the professors who feed them a constant line of bullshit that they are hitting the industry at just the “right time” as the baby boomers are going to retire and they will all become rich executives.

In reality people are delaying retirement and these days grads are a dime a dozen so unless you have applicable experience getting a decent job out of school is tough.

Your education may get you in the door but once there, hard work and stying humble will keep you there.
    Last edited by austic; 01-09-2014 at 11:36 AM.

@icy2unk and woody...

There is a fundamental difference between Haskayne grads and Econ grads, its thought process. Believe it or not, the years you spend in University DOES change the way you think, in some cases permanently.

I can't say for certain what Haskayne does to you, but my best ball park is teaches you process and application. Econ mostly teaches you to think. Its an ass load of theory, a little application, and focuses heavily on thinking about the two combined.

But one things for certain: many Haskayne students believe Econ is easy as shit, because they take classes with Tracey. Let me set up your Econ stream and I PROMISE you will kiss your 3.7 good bye. And no, Money & Banking is not in that stream.
    Oh I don't disagree, I'm just simply stating that both degrees serve their own purpose and each degree can be garbage or it can be good information depending which route you take.

Both can be difficult and both can be easy, it's a matter of whether or not you wish you challenge yourself.

Nonetheless I do agree that many Haskayne students are entitled but they soon come quick to realize that doesn't get them anywhere. It's easy to pick out good from the bad at haskayne within 5 minutes of a conversation. As mentioned the issue is that is the mentality Haskayne likes to spew out, I mean have you talked to Ryan Lee before lol. That guys is a prime example of what Haskayne does to you lol.

A lot of the advice on here is spot on but one thing that I notice that I wanted to point out to you is its not clear what you want to be doing in the O&G side.

What is the exact roles you are chasing after? If your current role transfers easily to an O&G role than that's great, if not what is it that you want to be doing?

If you don't have that clarity, no one is going to give it to you.

It's likely that you may need to train up. Have you considered focusing on getting your production accounting designation or even landsmen training.

Don't see these things as the end. A lot of very successful people start in land or production accounting and branch out based on their hard work and skills.

Your degree just gives you an entry to the door. That's about it. It's hard to accept that after spending 4 years of your life getting a degree that it doesn't amount to much but that's basically the reality.

My practical advice to you would be:

1) Find out all the roles that you can transition to. Find the gaps in training that you can start to fill.

2) Setup info meetings with a bunch of companies and just talk to them. Let them know your eagerness and that you want to make a transition. Eat some humble pie please. Some of these people you might talk to may not have degrees and just have SAIT or NAIT. Show them that you are willing to work hard and prove yourself. A lot of that will come down to your attitude. Gently bug them once a month and at some point something will fit.

3) Stop going after mid-level positions. You will likely start in some junior position. Take it with the understanding that you will work your way back up and can change roles. If you have a strong network, this might be different but if you did, you already would have a job. Mid level positions are for people with real experience. They don't want people to do on the job training.

4) Educate yourself. Sign up for SAIT's two day training course or take this course - http://www.oilpatch101.com/index.html. Get some books - this one is good - http://www.amazon.com/Nontechnical-P.../dp/1593702698

Check out CAPPA's primer - http://cappa.basecorp.com/index.aspx?tabid=13&sc=OGPOL

Learn this stuff. If you don't understand what a UWI is or what DLS is or the lifecycle of a Well than you are sending the wrong message. Talking the language and showing that you have an understanding of the industry beyond the words oil and gas will go a long way.

5) Stop comparing yourself to your peer group the way you are. There's healthy comparison and then there is your type of comparison. Healthy comparison is figuring out what others did differently than you and how you can improve. Comparing yourself based on how much better you should be doing based on your education versus others is just foolish. That's throwing the buck and not fully accepting responsibility for your own life.

Good luck!

My Ride
    your mom

I hate the people who say they went to Haskayne, and not U of C. If didn't actually go to UofC, you wouldn't really know what that is. There are very few schools that actually have that pedigree (Rotman and Osgoode come to mind). Haskayne isn't even on that map. There are schools in Canada that have way better rankings (which I know can be trivial) that are almost completely unheard of such as HEC Montreal.

Haskayne doesn't really prepare you for anything. There are a few useful classes and you only come out of there with the most basic understanding of concepts with some senior finance and accounting classes being the exception. Haskayne has bit of funding under its belt which pays for some flashy signage, some computers and a few endowments for research, but to say it's a top school is a joke.

The only real relevant knowledge from Haskayne that I picked up was from that SGMA course with Dr. Bob and the business law class from Professor Bowal. The rest was picked up on the job. I think it's hilarious that grads out of there thinking that a top employer like GS or a major E&P is going to see Haskayne on your resume and think that this kid is a surefire bet and you'll get hired at 90k out of school. Raff out roud.
    Last edited by busdepot; 01-09-2014 at 12:04 PM.

Originally posted by Arash
    Im not an idiot...

OP. Speaking from experience.

Go to the Haskayne career center.

1. Talk to a career advisor there about what you want to do.
    2. Bring your resume for critique
    3. Ask them for job postings in the O&G industry

I really think this should be your first step, rather than coming to a car forum for career advice. Utilize what you have at haskayne and start there.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

At least the people at Haskayne won't make fun of your degree like some of us are.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    981 GT4/F82 M4

Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    At least the people at Haskayne won't make fun of your degree like some of us are.
    Lol don't be so sure.

I had an International Business Degree (worthless) and I had it written as B.Comm - International Business on my resume. They advised that I delete my concentration and just leave it as B.Comm. as it would be "confusing" to potential employers.

My Ride
    Lexus/Toyota

- Show up downtown to one of the corporate offices after hours
    - Bring crowbar
    - Avoid security
    - Profit?

My Ride
    10' 4Runner SR5

/thread
    Ultracrepidarian

At least you learn some math in econ. Haskayne degree = CFA level 1.

Originally posted by Thomas Gabriel
    At least you learn some math in econ. Haskayne degree = CFA level 1.
    It's pretty funny all the Econ majors complain about the OP's comment about Econ yet they all come on here bashing Haskayne claiming their degree is so much better. IMO that makes you no better and just as conceited.

Could it be possible that both degrees have their benefits any weaknesses or is that concept to difficult to grasp lol

My Ride
    N/A V8, TTV6, DOHC N/A V6

So let me get this straight ..

Would Haskayne as an entity be compatible to McPhail at SAIT?

If so.. El oh fucking el.
    "The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents... some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new Dark Age."

-H.P. Lovecraft

Originally posted by busdepot
    I hate the people who say they went to Haskayne, and not U of C. If didn't actually go to UofC, you wouldn't really know what that is. There are very few schools that actually have that pedigree (Rotman and Osgoode come to mind). Haskayne isn't even on that map. There are schools in Canada that have way better rankings (which I know can be trivial) that are almost completely unheard of such as HEC Montreal.

Haskayne doesn't really prepare you for anything. There are a few useful classes and you only come out of there with the most basic understanding of concepts with some senior finance and accounting classes being the exception. Haskayne has bit of funding under its belt which pays for some flashy signage, some computers and a few endowments for research, but to say it's a top school is a joke.

The only real relevant knowledge from Haskayne that I picked up was from that SGMA course with Dr. Bob and the business law class from Professor Bowal. The rest was picked up on the job. I think it's hilarious that grads out of there thinking that a top employer like GS or a major E&P is going to see Haskayne on your resume and think that this kid is a surefire bet and you'll get hired at 90k out of school. Raff out roud.
    Although I agree with you that employers, especially larger firms not based in Calgary, would question the pedigree of Haskayne compared to other top schools, I do however think your view on "relevant knowledge from Haskayne" is very limited and shallow.

Fact is, Haskayne is not a top business school in Canada. Some programs excel more so than others, and some stuff is offered at Haskayne that is unique, such as oil and gas energy classes, but as a whole the department has followed the fate of being mediocre. From a finance perspective, if you're trying to get a job in private equity in Toronto, SF or NYC, you'll be competing against graduates from top schools who will already be ahead just based on that fact.

However, that doesn't mean the experience and knowledge gained is redundant and useless. It's unfortunate you think that it didn't "prepare you for anything". In my case, I took what I thought to be the most challenging finance courses and branched off into a few energy management courses that helped me get into the O&G industry. One class in particular is taught by a BP trader and Plains Midstream BD Manager, which I thought to be entirely useful (and still use the information gained from that course today). Even more relevant in my university term was the case studies I took which helped me differentiate myself and allowed me to gain key industry contacts, ultimately helping me secure a job in investment banking.

Maybe it's just the way I've viewed university though. My thought have always been that the goal of going through university is to get a job. You study mostly basic, theoretical concepts that aren't applicable on the job, but it's to show that you can do it successfully and better than others. Of course I'm not going to use basic TVM and Gordon Growth valuation theory to value an O&G company now, but you have to build your fundamentals somewhere, right?

I also say Haskayne just because it's easier than U of C Business - not for any other reason... (but can't say that on behalf of everyone, of course).

Anyways, getting back on topic, breaking into O&G depends on what field you're getting into. The accounting route is pretty clear cut. If you come from a finance background, it's a bit trickier and most E&P companies only need accountants, back office staff and engineers.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Originally posted by borN
    Maybe it's just the way I've viewed university though. My thought have always been that the goal of going through university is to get a job. You study mostly basic, theoretical concepts that aren't applicable on the job, but it's to show that you can do it successfully and better than others.
    Bang on. I studied at a mid-level engineering school, but it got me the paper I needed, and that, combined with some hard work, got me my first job. After that first job, nobody gives a fuck where you want to school. The real test of your ability and value happens in the workplace.

Whenever I work with students from one of the top engineerin schools, I always tell them to park the ego. Folks from the "lesser" schools don't need that speech.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    Gets me to lease

Originally posted by borN
    One class in particular is taught by a BP trader and Plains Midstream BD Manager
    I thought Neal was a trader as well... Or are you talking about a different class
    On Sabbatical

I thought Neal was a trader as well... Or are you talking about a different class
    Maybe a different class. Dave was the guy from plains, Wade from BP.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast