Quantcast
Careers in Kelowna - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Careers in Kelowna

Default Careers in Kelowna

Thanks!
    Last edited by colt22; 09-14-2019 at 09:09 PM.

Default Re: Careers in Kelowna

what is upside?

nice white girl with tattoos? she own motorcycle and parents own waterfront property?

u get tattoos and act gang bang, then you fit it OK

QUOTE]Originally posted by colt22
    Hey

I've pretty much decided I will be living in Kelowna for the future as the upside offered living there is tough to turn down and I have fell in love with the place over the years.

Right now I am a Landman with a B.comm from U of C.
    What kind of jobs could I find in Kelowna that are both high paying and rewarding.

I am also interesting in perhaps working for a outdoor sports company *burton, fox billabong ect..) in upper management, are there any companies based in Kelowna that do that?

Just hoping to get some information for what the hot jobs out there are for business grads.

Thanks!
    [/QUOTE]

My Ride
    G37X

My parents live in the Oakanagan. They both are university educated with lots of work experience. Work out there is sparse and the pay is not so great based on what I've heard. My step dad spent about a year on EI. And he is a hard working guy there is just little supply and a ton of demand for the decent jobs. Remember that lots of people want to live out there due to the awesome lifestyle you've mentioned. Ton of rig worker Albertan's live out there fly in/fly out to camp.

Running a grow op for the HA's would surely be profitable albeit risky..
    Last edited by Hallowed_point; 01-04-2014 at 09:10 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 07:43 PM.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Congrats on having the balls to pick lifestyle over money

Wish I could do it, I really do... but as mentioned above, there isn't a lot of work and it doesn't pay well. Kelowna also has housing prices like Calgary and BC has some pretty crazy taxes.
    Thumbs up from me too, but you really need to figure out how you're going to support yourself out there before you pack up and leave. It certainly isn't like Calgary where you can just show up and find something decent to support yourself. Kelowna is also very seasonal, so while it is booming in the summer it quiets down big time the rest of the year.

Take it from someone who grew up in BC. It's beautiful and the lifestyle rocks however you still have to pay your bills. I find myself day dreaming about moving back when I'm in the Oakanagan but I couldn't swing it financially.

My Ride
    party car

I moved out to Kelowna from Calgary in 2009, I did take quite the pay cut when I first moved out here, but have since been hired at a job where I make approximately the same wage I did when I left Calgary.

I will agree with the others who've posted here, finding work in Kelowna is hard, but when you find a really good, steady job out here, life is great. My quality of life here vs. my quality of life back in Calgary is definitely better.

As for places you could potentially get hired at, the largest employer in the valley is Kelowna Flightcraft, following that would be the University of BC. There are lots of tech start ups here, but no big head offices like you're looking for.

Real estate here can depend on what you're looking for. For about half the cost of a brand new home on a postage stamp sized lot in Calgary, we were able to get a decently sized house (1500+ sq ft), and a massive lot, but again.. it all depends on your priorities. Houses on the lakeshore can cost a pretty penny, so can the brand new houses.

Yes, the cost of living is much higher here, but the quality of life is awesome... just today we were out on the driveway working on the car (no garage yet, we're planning on building a 3 car garage in a few years)

Hope this input helps, let me know if you have any questions about moving to Ktown
    I like things with wheels.

My Ride
    16' IS350 AWD / '93 LHD FD3S

Do what my coworkers do, live out there and fly to Alberta for work. Or if you're lucky you'll find a company like mine that pays for your flights 8-)

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:54 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

My Ride
    G37X

^^^yup...some folks in the oakanagan refer to us Albertans as "JAFAS" I'll let you figure that one out! Kelowna is very cliquey. If you're not from there you'll have a tough time especially if you tell people you're from Calgary!

I did it.

I don't recommend it anyone, unless you are 56 years old and want to retire. Winter is depressing and slow and everyone I met is NOT from there. Beautiful area and awesome scenery, just not somewhere I recommend settling down.

I work with 2 guys who are starting a family who just moved from the Okanagan in the last year and said it is the best decision they have ever made.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point
    If you're not from there you'll have a tough time especially if you tell people you're from Calgary!
    Soooo true. When my dad (who is from Calgary, who now lives in BC) buys anything, he never lets the seller know he is a Flames fan or he from Alberta.
    Last edited by johnlennon; 01-04-2014 at 11:14 PM.

My Ride
    party car

Originally posted by Cos
    Ill post what I do in every BC/Kelowna thread. Not much has changed. I got offered a promotion to go out to BC Hydro and it was a 30% paycut over what I get here. I wasnt even over 75k a year and I am 6 figure in Calgary. That was for my bosses job here so you are actually looking like a 40% pay cut.

Gas is more, housing is more, food is more, everything is more. You also have to deal with tourists in the summer for the lake, and the winter for skiing.

Not to disagree with ReiRei because I know her well but it is different when you move somewhere that has family. Her husband grew up and lived out there when you moved. If you know no one, it is quite difficult. People in the Okanangan already have their friends and dont want more. Especially from Alberta.

Read this thread, I was going to post snippets but decided against it.

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?threadid=349255

If you do make the jump, good luck it is absolutely gorgeous and I wish I could have stuck it out. Maybe when I am rich or retired.
    I'm going to have to reply to your post, obviously you didn't really know me well enough when I did move out to Kelowna. I actually spent at least 6 months prior to moving searching for a graphic design job, and once I did land one, it was in Peachland... not Kelowna.

When I did move out here, yes.. I had a fiancee waiting for me, and yes, he did have his family out here for me.. but just because there's this set group of people, does not actually mean I have a set group of friends waiting out here for me. It was difficult at the beginning to make friends and have an active social life, I really had to break it down to.. "how, and where did I meet people before?"

Yes, I did take a paycut, it was not 40%, it was closer to 20-30%, but I now make equally what I would make if I was living in Calgary.

to the OP, if money is what you're after, the Okanagan is not for you. Stay in Alberta, make six figures and retire out here. If however, quality of life is what you're after, try it out, everyone has differing experiences of their life out here, mine, however has been an amazing experience and I can't imagine how I could live the life I lead while living in Calgary (and trust me, I was born and raised in the 403).

Winter, eh... I'm not sure how sucky it is here johnlennon is, but near my place it's super nice:

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Vancouver island is the same story. I have a relative who moved out there. He had a job lined up, but by his count, 80% of all Albertans who move out don't last a year out there. Many people can't even get a job washing dishes at minimum wage, let alone a career or enough to support a decent lifestyle.

Good luck, hope it works out well for you, but don't be surprised if it's a lot harder than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    '72 Volvo 1800E / '11 Escape

Its why after I got done schooling I stayed out here. I love the Kelowna lifestyle but getting Calgary-level office/business work in Kelowna is like hitting the lottery.
    2006 Edmonton Indy - Heatstroke
    2007 Vegas Grand Prix - Fremont awesomeness
    2010 Montreal Grand Prix - Section 11!
    2011 Edmonton Indy - Mudfest
    2012 Nascar Autoclub 400 - Convinced I attract rain....
    2016 Spa & Monza. Ya baby!

I live in Kelowna and agree with all the other responses. Work is hard to get unless you know someone or win the lottery. And be prepared to take a pay cut when you do find that rare job in Ktown. Majority of residents are from somewhere else, and once you do get settled in, be prepared to have your friends leaving town when they are unable to find steady work here.

Best of luck to you in whatever path you choose.

How about the people who have FIFO jobs and live out there? Any comment?

You would be making Alberta/Ft. Mac money and living in Kelowna/Vancouver...

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Damn this thread is depressing. Planning on moving back to Kelowna in 5 years or so, no way in hell I'm going to try raising a kid in a big city.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    party car

Honestly, doesn't matter where you live, it's what you yourself make of it.

Gonna be negative and think shitty about where you live? You're gonna have a bad time.

@cos, no offense was taken, just felt like you were saying that I had it easier because I had a few people out here I knew. Everyone has their own struggles.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:52 PM.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 08:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast