Quantcast
Careers in Kelowna - Page 2 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Careers in Kelowna

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    Damn this thread is depressing. Planning on moving back to Kelowna in 5 years or so, no way in hell I'm going to try raising a kid in a big city.
    What? Hell I want to move to Kelowna too but I'm not because of the kids. Way more opportunity here. They'll be bored in Kelowna when they get older.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by suntan
    What? Hell I want to move to Kelowna too but I'm not because of the kids. Way more opportunity here. They'll be bored in Kelowna when they get older.
    You can have kids there, 90% chance they will be living with you for a LONG time

My Ride
    1995 WRX STi

Originally posted by suntan
    This.

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

You can have kids there, 90% chance they will be living with you for a LONG time
    And this.

Nothing good comes out of raising bored kids, easier for them to get into trouble IMO.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-22-2019 at 07:59 PM.

When I say "bored" I don't mean puerile shit like that, I mean their career options, their future prospects and their understanding of the outside world.

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

I grew up in Kelowna from age 2 thru end of high school and turned out just fine. If you don't mind sending your kids out into the woods to go play they'll have tons to do.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

My Ride
    Nissan 200SX

Originally posted by DeleriousZ
    I grew up in Kelowna from age 2 thru end of high school and turned out just fine. If you don't mind sending your kids out into the woods to go play they'll have tons to do.
    The woods?

You guys do realize that Kelowna has a population of 100,000+, yes? It's a massive city... sure it's not Calgary... but it's not exactly the sticks, either.

Anywhere in southern B.C., not just Kelowna, it's the same story told over and over again. Great lifestyle, low income. The hardest part, I believe, for any Albertan looking to move to make the move permanently to southern B.C., and actually being able to be happy there, is accepting that you will be making such a low wage/salary in comparison to Alberta.

We're spoiled here in Alberta... new toys, vacations, nights out, expensive dinners, new electronics... it's all fairly attainable for anyone making upwards of $70K a year... if you move to southern B.C. and you take that 30 - 40% pay cut, those luxuries suddenly become once a month or once a year treats and some you simply have to accept you'll never truly be able to afford again... especially not with kids.

It's a massive trade off.

Last edited by Cos; 12-28-2016 at 09:46 PM.
    Originally posted by adam c

Line goes up, line goes down, line does squiggly things and fucks Alberta
    "The stone age didn't end because we ran out of stones"

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 09:26 AM.

My Ride
    TRD Pro

I did it back in 2007 from Calgary! You can actually find old threads on beyond of me saying how great it was and how I wouldn't look back. Well after running a business out there for 5 years and realizing the trade off for lifestyle vs money is harder than you think... Needless to say I came running back to Alberta where the economy is stable and your customers don't take 6 months to hum and haw a $2500 purchase.

I haven't looked back! I still own my boat that I bring out with me to Kelowna in the summer when I vacation for a week or two at a time. But it allows me to afford the lifestyle and fun when visiting Kelowna.

Do I want to go back sometime? sure. When I retire or have my business here on autopilot and making money with little effort on my end.
    Originally posted by Melinda

You certainly are not a very nice person though.

No work- Moved there and there seems to be a thing about hiring Albertans.

They will hire a local any day vs a Albertan
    Sometimes you have to take a chance, whether that be on someone, or something!

My Ride
    Ford F150

You're better of telling everyone you're from BC. Resume has all Alberta jobs? You just went there temporarily to get your cut of the oil money, but you're a BC boy at heart. lol

Kelowna is clique central.

And I'll agree with 100% of the posts in this thread. I grew up in the Okanagan. 18 years in Penticton. Every negative posted is true, and yet so is every positive. Take it for what it's worth.

I'd never trade my childhood for anything. Mountain biking every day. Swimming half the year. Great skiing in the winter. Camping on weekends. Fishing. Outdoor enthusiasts dream.

But my parents struggled. I started working at a young age to help pay for the things I liked. Wages haven't improved much since then. But everything else has gone up in cost 10 fold. I'm now making 6 figures a year and I can't even imagine being able to afford to live there.

It's a retirement home and a vacation resort rolled into one, in my eyes.
    I can eat more hot wings than you.

My Ride
    Lives in the left lane.

Grew up there myself, in Westbank, not West Kelowna.

Things have changed for the worse -big box stores everywhere, a massive influx of transient population (red plates). It was heaven growing up there, but no, I could never live and work there at my age now (30).

I definitely do enjoy having a place there to go back to in the summer though. As long as I stay away from downtown, life is pretty simple and good on the west side.
    DOES ANYONE NEED A GO-JUICE?

My Ride
    1988 300zxt, 90 jetta

Originally posted by Tram Common

The woods?

You guys do realize that Kelowna has a population of 100,000+, yes? It's a massive city... sure it's not Calgary... but it's not exactly the sticks, either.

Anywhere in southern B.C., not just Kelowna, it's the same story told over and over again. Great lifestyle, low income. The hardest part, I believe, for any Albertan looking to move to make the move permanently to southern B.C., and actually being able to be happy there, is accepting that you will be making such
    Yep, spent 18 years there growing up. Living between westbank and Kelowna, the woods were right outside the doorstep, and I wouldn't have traded it for anything.

If you guys think Kelowna is cliquey, try moving to Vancouver and finding a good group of friends lol.

If you take anything I have to say seriously, you're gunna have a bad time.
    1988 300zxt. gt35, stance coils, etc.
    1990 Jetta VR6 Daily, "stock"

Originally posted by ercchry
    people are dumb, kids need to stop playing in the streets, SW soccer moms are the worst kind of people, the end

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 09:22 AM.

My Ride
    Bicycle

The only way to work in Kelowna is if you can work for Alberta from there.

That place is dead.

My Ride
    Trucks

I looked into moving there, years ago before the fires shot the housing prices into orbit. There was and is still a high demand for refrigeration techs or HVAC. I'm glad it didn't pan out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2