Quantcast
Via Rail - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Via Rail

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Via Rail

Has anyone ever taken a trip on "the Canadian" before?

Myself and the girlfriend are thinking of flying to Vancouver and taking the train back to Edmonton.

Just wondering if someone on here has done a rail experience through Via and what was it like?

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I've always wanted to do this but when I looked into it it seemed very expensive. I think it would be a gorgeous trip though and definitely something out of the ordinary.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Natural Gas.

Go full baller and do a round trip calgary-van-edmonton.
    Quote Originally Posted by killramos View Post
    You realize you are talking to the guy who made his own furniture out of salad bowls right?

My Ride
    1998 BMW 328i

Im only familar with the Rocky Mountineer train. Never heard of the VIA one. The RM train is for ballers for sure. Average trip is like $3,000+. The RM train is amazing from the pictures ive seen.

A friend of mine travels by train all the time (scared of flying), and he quite enjoys it, but based on the pictures he sent me the sleeping quarters can feel kinda cramped depending on which bunk setup you get. Some of them get their own washrooms which is nice as they include a shower. Other lower cost ones are shared washrooms at the end of the car.
    Koenigsegg, what started as a dream just blew your doors off.

Default Re: Via Rail

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    Has anyone ever taken a trip on "the Canadian" before?

Myself and the girlfriend are thinking of flying to Vancouver and taking the train back to Edmonton.

Just wondering if someone on here has done a rail experience through Via and what was it like?
    My wife and I did the Van to Edm a few years ago (we had a cabin)... I was pretty cool but it would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't at the end of our week with the inlaws so we just wanted to get home... then the train was delayed in Edson for over two hours because of a CN train! 11pm arrival turned into 1:30am

We'd probably do it again (Edm to Van) to start a vaction not end it...

Originally posted by schurchill39
    I've always wanted to do this but when I looked into it it seemed very expensive. I think it would be a gorgeous trip though and definitely something out of the ordinary.
    VIA Rail has limited seat sales (1-4) all the time to fill the train... just keep an eye open on their site and you can find seats or cabins for 50% to 75% off. They go fast so when you see one you want jump on it or it will be gone...
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    Bikes.Car.Truck

Default Re: Re: Via Rail

Originally posted by ipeefreely

My wife and I did the Van to Edm a few years ago (we had a cabin)... I was pretty cool but it would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't at the end of our week with the inlaws so we just wanted to get home... then the train was delayed in Edson for over two hours because of a CN train! 11pm arrival turned into 1:30am

We'd probably do it again (Edm to Van) to start a vaction not end it...

We are looking at a cabin as well. Can you move freely through out the cars? How's the food and cost of booze?

Default Re: Re: Re: Via Rail

Originally posted by 16hypen3sp
    We are looking at a cabin as well. Can you move freely through out the cars? How's the food and cost of booze?
    You can walk the whole train. Bunks and seats are open to everyone (bunks have curtains) so you'll want a cabin.

The meals are excellent (included) but they pair you up with other couples because the dinning car is very small and it would take for ever for everyone to eat if they didn't fill every seat. The weird couples always wanted to talk (which sucked) but the normal people just kept to themselves so you could enjoy the meal...

I think you got a glass or wine or a beer with the meal other wise you could buy some ($6 I think). They have free wine/beer tasting during the day too (and other activities if you're into that...).
    Originally posted by Xtrema
    ZenOps is like everyone's crazy uncle.
    Originally posted by DayGlow
    How do you respond to stupid?
    Originally posted by rage2
    Jesus fucking christ Rob Anders, learn to read your own links.
    Originally posted by Seth1968
    Zenops: Ok, but remember my dick is made of nickle.

My Ride
    17 M3 ZCP + 18 X3M40

I took it a few years back when the first class was still called "silver and blue". We had the bunks and I was glad we didnt have the "cabin". During the day when the bunks are in seat mode it was much nicer (to me) to be in the open and be able to look out both sides of the train and just felt more spacious as compared to the cabins which seemed to me to be much more confined and closed in. Of course at night you have more privacy. I do intend to do this trip again and I think I would do the bunks again.

I did the edmonton to vancouver route and I thought the views were worth every penny. The vancouver to edmonton would be slightly different as you see different things due to the time of day you are passing through the mountains but still glorious I am sure.

The level of service and meals were excellent. In the park car there were light refreshments throughout which were complimentary. In the evening there was a champagne reception which was also complimentary.

The dome car seats filled up quickly but there was good turn over.

When I went the train was about 40% full in first class and I believe we were the only canadian pair on there. Economy/coach was a different story. Almost everyone else was from the US or europe. I was by far the youngest but the company turned out to be fantastic and it was a great experience. I honestly cant boast enough about that trip. Obviously some of this is subjective/quite variable and could turn out to be horid the next time I go.