Quantcast
Shall we bond, thy brothers? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Shall we bond, thy brothers?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Default Shall we bond, thy brothers?

http://life.nationalpost.com/2013/10...thy-u-k-study/

Men need to meet up with friends twice a week for a brew (or a brawl) to stay healthy: U.K. study

What do one of the oldest beer companies in the world and an Oxford professor of psychology have in common? They both think men need more time together. Drinking beer. And playing sports.

That’s right, gents, put down your phones, shut your laptops and grab a pint with your buddies at the local pub, because science says your health may depend on it. Men need a minimum of two guys nights a week to maintain good health, and it’s a scientific fact, at least according to new research from a U.K. psychologist.

Robin Dunbar (infamous for “the Dunbar Number” and his work on friendships), director of Oxford University’s social and evolutionary neuroscience research group, is very specific with his prescription: Men must physically meet with four friends, two times a week, in order to reap the benefits of male friendship. Those benefits, in addition to general health, include faster recovery times when faced with illnesses, and even higher levels of generosity.

Dunbar goes so far as to recommend guys “do stuff” while they socialize. In addition to drinking beer and laughing together, men should try to choose to play a number of team sports. “Bonds can be formed through a range of activities from team sports to male banter — or simply having a pint with your pals on a Friday night,” he said in the report.

Too busy with their day-to-day lives, one in three men in the U.K. can’t find the time to meet once a week, and 40% of men are only able to make a “guys’ night” a weekly affair. Despite spending 20% of their day interacting through other means (all of which can be done on a smartphone), men need to meet face to face to keep their broships strong, Dunbar suggests.

Led by the same researcher that suggested individuals max out at 150 real relationships (despite social media friend counts that often reach much higher than that), this study shows men to have an inner circle of only a handful of guys. If the group gets too big, laughter is less likely, as are the endorphins released by happy interactions, which are said to be responsible for the health benefits of this male bonding time.

Guinness, the makers of the famous Irish stout and stewards of dozens of other worldwide beer brands, commissioned the research, which in turn, not surprisingly, recommends the benefits of drinking a pint or two with the lads.

“When guys get together physically and more frequently with their mates,” Stephen O’Kelly, a spokesperson for Guinness told Daily Mail in the U.K., “their friendships become stronger, better and a richer life results.”
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-08-2014 at 10:28 AM.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Is this not the study that was released months ago and paid for by Guinness?

My Ride
    This and that.

And coming out of the UK, I am not surprised.

My Ride
    Silverado, G37x

Wait, getting drunk at home alone 4 nights a week isn't healthy? That's news to me!

I'd agree to this, just keeps you detox / relax or even bitch about things you need to that you cant necessarily do with just co-workers or your wife.

I really don't understand those men who insist on doing everything with their wives, i have a few friends who insist on bringing their wives to EVERYTHING, it's unfortunate but there are things we don't invite those guys to because they are no longer just themselves, they are the couple. An instance is a gaming convention i went to last year with a few friends, couple guys brought their wives - their wives didn't join us at the gaming convention, but when the convention ended and a group of us wanted to go out for dinner, or to a bar, the guys with wives felt like WE had to accommodate them... which we didn't and I think a few of them resented that, but when you're meeting people from out of town or people in the industry and you want to hang out with them, it sucks having that "third wheel" to drag around.

When I got home i had a conversation with my wife and asked if she was angry that i didn't bring her, or even really invite her, i just told her i was doing it - she said absolutely not. Why would she want to fly down to the states with me where i spend 12-14 hours in seminars/exhibits all day while she explores the city by herself or with the other wives (which a few of the wives ended up hating each other by the end of the trip ) , she recognized it was MY trip, not OURS - that being said I didn't sacrifice any trips with her last year so we still got our trip in.

Just makes sense to have your own time with your own friends as far as im concerned.
    Originally posted by Mibz
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

Originally posted by 403Gemini
    I really don't understand those men who insist on doing everything with their wives, i have a few friends who insist on bringing their wives to EVERYTHING,
    The same is true for the other half.

The wife or gf say's, "I'm going out for lunch with Cindy / Brittany / Grizelda, do you want to come"?

Now unless the question is actually a sexual innuendo, then the answer is "Fuck no!".

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Originally posted by Seth1968

The wife or gf says, "I'm going out for lunch with Cindy / Brittany / Grizelda, do you want to cum"?

Now unless the question is actually a sexual innuendo, then the answer is "Fuck no!".
    Like that?

Originally posted by Seth1968

The wife or gf say's, "I'm going out for lunch with Cindy / Brittany / Grizelda, do you want to come"?

Haha yeah my wife went to Edmonton for a weekend with her sister to go shopping and asked if i wanted to come with her, before she finished I replied "nope"

was a great weekend, watched tv with the dog all day and did nothing haha
    She's already exhibiting signs of turning into my Mom, I need some sort of legal recourse if a full-blown transformation occurs.

I'd agree to this, just keeps you detox / relax or even bitch about things you need to that you cant necessarily do with just co-workers or your wife.

I really don't understand those men who insist on doing everything with their wives, i have a few friends who insist on bringing their wives to EVERYTHING, it's unfortunate but there are things we don't invite those guys to because they are no longer just themselves, they are the couple. An instance is a gaming convention i went to last year with a few friends, couple guys brought their wives - their wives didn't join us at the gaming convention, but when the convention ended and a group of us wanted to go out for dinner, or to a bar, the guys with wives felt like WE had to accommodate them... which we didn't and I think a few of them resented that, but when you're meeting people from out of town or people in the industry and you want to hang out with them, it sucks having that "third wheel" to drag around.

When I got home i had a conversation with my wife and asked if she was angry that i didn't bring her, or even really invite her, i just told her i was doing it - she said absolutely not. Why would she want to fly down to the states with me where i spend 12-14 hours in seminars/exhibits all day while she explores the city by herself or with the other wives (which a few of the wives ended up hating each other by the end of the trip ) , she recognized it was MY trip, not OURS - that being said I didn't sacrifice any trips with her last year so we still got our trip in.

Just makes sense to have your own time with your own friends as far as im concerned.
    QFT

I agree with this completely.

A few years ago I started bowling in a 10-pin men's league at a private club every Friday night and it does wonders for my attitude and stress level.

Good to just be able to kick back with a bunch of guys, tip a few drinks and shoot the sh_t for a few hours after a week of work. The bowling just adds a fun level of competition between the various teams.

Originally posted by Kloubek
    Is this not the study that was released months ago and paid for by Guinness?
    Aren't most studies funded by someone with a vested interest in advancing an agenda?

Nonetheless, I think my wife needs to read this.

Brawl every two weeks? The first rule of fight club.
    Cocoa $10,000 per ton.

Beer,sports and a group of Brit friends getting together is the perfect recipe for a brawl.
    Oh and weddings, funerals christenings, baptisms, graduations and kids Christmas concerts.
    But we always make up afterwards until the next time.

My Ride
    Bicycle

does commenting about someone's mom over BF4/COD count?

My Ride
    W204

You sound like a big fucking baby and so do your friends.. Good friends don't judge each other. You obviously don't want to do everything with your wife and that's fine (and I am in this camp) but others don't feel the same and want to do everything with them because, really, when it comes down to it, their wife is basically their best friend.

Some people feel the need to constantly text/msg/talk to their SO, whether at work, on vacation with friends, etc... LOL I don't ever hear from my wife when she travels for work (hell many times I don't even know her flight # or the hotel she's staying at hahaha). But some of my friends need to constantly update their wives, chat, etc... Whatever, doesn't bother me. And UNLESS a trip was specifically purely a guys trip, wouldn't bother me one bit if one of my friends brought their SO along to anything we did. It also helps that I only have maybe 4-5 REALLY close friends and we're all in understanding of everything we do.

But seriously... Stop being such a baby.
    You have a couple of photos that are great... you must be very good at photoshop!

Originally posted by clem24

You sound like a big fucking baby and so do your friends.. Good friends don't judge each other.
    Granted we're not friends, but what gives you the right to judge me then?

To back my point - when you hang around as couples , you act different. People will act differently towards you - there are some jokes and comments you can't / shouldn't make around wives. Be it your single friend who is telling you about the slut he nailed the other night, or another friend talking about him thinking his gf/wife is cheating on him - these are conversations that won't happen if somebody brings their wife out to "guys night" - I have no problem with people bringing their wives/girlfriends out to a night at the pub or if we're playing soccer or anything, I do have a problem when people can't nut up and separate themselves and have their own cohesive identity away from their significant other on nights/events that are agreed on as "guys night."

Say you have poker night at a firends house, his wife decides to hang around you guys all night. After a few hours your friend is low on chips and goes to buy more in only to have his wife quip up to stop wasting his money. This ruins the atmosphere and element of "guys night"

Nobody has a problem with each others wives - its when a man loses his balls after he gets into a relationship and is no longer who he used to be.

My wife is my best friend, but she understands I need my time away from her, It's not that I don't enjoy her company, but I like to just hang out with my friends and have time to myself. Sorry if you don't get that.

edit: also , everything I've said on here I've said directly to these guys who bring their wives everywhere. I told them last year it was a waste of money that they brought their wives on the trip because they didn't get to spend a lot of time with their wives, they missed a lot of amazing experiences because their wives insisted on having dinner with them or their wives being tired from walking around the city all day and just wanting to stay at the hotel and they were guilted to stay, etc. Guess what - they agreed.
    Last edited by 403Gemini; 01-08-2014 at 05:43 PM.

My Ride
    NC1

Absolutely agree 100% lol

Whether it was badminton (before), hockey (now), ya man, get together with the dudes regularly, play some sports, have some post game beers, it's good for you. Leave the gfs/wives etc. at home. She's totally cool with it.

I encourage her to have her own girls' night out.

I believe this is healthier in the long run too. You don't get sick of each other, can do different things etc.

Right now she's in Europe, original plan was 2 weeks and now staying for 3 weeks. All good. Have fun my dear.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49