Quantcast
Old tenants moving out/getting new tenants into rental - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Old tenants moving out/getting new tenants into rental

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Default Old tenants moving out/getting new tenants into rental

My rental property has been easy sailing the last year and half but my existing tenants are moving out and I'm curious how everyone transitions new tenants in? I have Feb rent already and obviously want to get someone in for March 1.

Old tenants lease is up at the end of February but will be officially moving out (handing keys over and doing walk thu) approximately mid-Feb as they're out of the country at the end of Feb. With all that in mind I have a couple question....

- Can I move new tenants in a couple days before March 1 if need be, even if old tenants have paid to march 1? Always wonder what renters do for that 1 day when moving from one rental to another so I expect the new renters to want early possession.

- How do utilities work from the time the old tenants move out till the new tenants move in, could potentially be 2 weeks where there is nobody living there, do I need to move everything back into my name for that time?

- Old tenants are aware that I'll have to show the place but how does everyone minimize that process? Pre-screen people with application form on the phone and/or set up open house type showing on a Saturday perhaps? Any ideas are appreciated.

Going to spend the weekend reading up but anything else I should be aware of or any tips would be appreciated. I assume the number of people responding to the property will be crazy busy like it was 18 months ago.

Thanks beyond

My Ride
    E90M3 510 Wagon

i just leave the utilities in my name so i can keep an eye on things...

1st of the month at noon is the standard for key handover... so i'd show up around 11am to do the final walk through

for viewings i normally just collect names for a week then on a weekend i get the tenants to leave for half a day and just have half hour viewings for an afternoon. check out the info for my favorites over the weekend and let them know who won on the monday, at that time i sign the lease and collect the deposit

My Ride
    Lease

You can sign a property owner form with utility companies (whenever it's vacant or tenant in this case removing their responsibility, it'll go to a designated account to charge to, whether be landlord/property owner/management)

If tenants are chill people. Some landlords would suggest a pro-rate incentive... Offer the tenant an incentive if they leave mid-February, refund the days they're not "using" the property.

Post Re: Old tenants moving out/getting new tenants into rental

Originally posted by 88CRX
    - Can I move new tenants in a couple days before March 1 if need be, even if old tenants have paid to march 1? Always wonder what renters do for that 1 day when moving from one rental to another so I expect the new renters to want early possession.

- Old tenants are aware that I'll have to show the place but how does everyone minimize that process? Pre-screen people with application form on the phone and/or set up open house type showing on a Saturday perhaps? Any ideas are appreciated.
    1. They've returned the keys, so yes you can.
    However, personally I would ask if they don't mind this, and/or I'd give them 1-2 days of rent back to do everything right.

3. First, I always prescreen. I check their names on facebook. After, I google their names and phone numbers. Sometimes it tells you so much, you wouldn't want to talk to them ever again
    Second, I always do detailed description of my place, like if I don't have a stove or place is too small for 2 people, I'd mention it. This way I don't waste anyone's time to show the place.
    Third, I set up a few viewings for 1 day, 15-30 minutes intervals (15 min is enough but it's hard to time that well, since ppl have never been at your place before). I ask to call/text me an hour before to confirm the appointment. Make sure you give your tenants 24hr notice before showing too.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by Russian; 01-13-2014 at 01:31 AM.

My Ride
    DC4 turbo

me and my little family are looking for a new rental for march 1st, pm details !!

I do mine very similar to the two beyonders above.

-I did initially setup the utilities on my name but after 1 month or 2 I get it on the tenants name so that I do not have to deal with them not being able to pay or using every excuse in the book. The way I put it to them is that it's a way to build better credit so that in the future they can buy a house.

-If the house is vacant and clean, I usually setup the lease agreement for the first of the month, but release the keys a couple days before just to be nice and allow them to have everything moved in before the 1st. but that being said, they must have all the paperwork in place...damage deposit, months rent and signed lease agreement.

-it's tough when you have tenants occupied. I usually let the tenants know that ill be showing the place between the times and date...couple days in advance so that they can clean the place and not be home while I show it.

-I do filter out people usually by phone or when I meet them. If via phone I don't get a good vibe from the person, I usually say that the place is occupied or I can't show it. and when you meet a person, you can usually tell if they can afford rent or not. Also lots of questions during the showing = problems down the road.

Originally posted by TL911
    Also lots of questions during the showing = problems down the road.
    What do you mean by this?

My Ride
    NC1

^^^

Some truth to that. You prefer easy going tenants who won't call you up for every little damn thing.
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

Originally posted by roopi

What do you mean by this?
    Speaking from experience. I have had my current rental for 8 years and was one of few that were stupid and kept the house when the boom hit.

from my experience, the guys that ask 99 questions during the showing of the suite are usually the guys that are dicks and call about every little thing in the house...ex. bulbs, noise, tap dripping when he just had to close the tap properly, door squeaking, coming up with ever excuse in the book not to pay or delay for rent and utilities.

I steer clear of people who ask too many questions. also these are the people that nickel and dime you when it comes to agreeing to a amount for rent.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Thanks for the replies.

I have no problem screening the tenants.... last time around I thought it would be difficult but once you start chatting with people it's pretty straight forward.

I will call enmax and direct energy and get everything back in my name for those 2 weeks once I confirm dates.

My Ride
    '04 Civic, '07 Element SC

Not really my game (ie. I don't rent a property out)

But wouldn't you want to know what's wrong with your property and to somedgree have that tenant that tells you when something is wrong? ie. casual maintenance here and there rather than having someone move out once their lease is up and knowing that your place is now a rats nest and nothing works?

The alternative is you have a handy DIY'er that makes you pay the bills and does a shit job of fixing ongoing issues at your place?

also as far as credit goes. I read somewhere that utilities don't actually affect your credit, until you stop paying... paying your utility on time doesn't help. I may be super very wrong on this.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

How are you guys screening self employed applicants, can you ask for some sort of proof of income? Tax return perhaps?

The market in the deep SE is definitely flooded compared to Sept 2012 when I had the property listed previously... into week 2 of showing the place as lots of people have pets or seem to flake after showing interest in the place, weird.

^^^^ I've been getting the same vibe in the NE...it's weird, but usually after 2-3 showings, someone takes it...but not this time around.

I have never had a self employed applicant...

Are you guys posting your prices to high? I had one open house showing on a weekend, and 75% of the people who came wanted to put down a deposit.

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

I had it posted for comparable prices to others in the deep SE, recently dropped it by $100/month to drum up interest and now have 6 showings set up for later this week. Might just be an odd set of circumstances.

It would have been rented already but buddy flaked after delaying signing the damn lease by a couple days cause he was out of town.

"We'll take it 100%, will be perfect for our family, but we're out of town this weekend, we'll text you to confirm what time works for meeting Monday night to sign the lease..... " Then I get a text yesterday morning and they've changed their mind. Next guy on list already found another place.

Lesson learned.

im gonna draw down the price as well

how did it turn out for you guys, were you able to find suitable tenants?

My Ride
    Bunch of Honda's

Yup.

Old tenants moved out last weekend and new tenant march 1st.

Yup,

got new tenants Feb 15th...the only draw back is that the guy is on contract so I don't have a long term lease....but his been good so far.