Quantcast
Mercedes-Benz AMG Unveils the GLA45 AMG at NAIAS - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Mercedes-Benz AMG Unveils the GLA45 AMG at NAIAS

Default Mercedes-Benz AMG Unveils the GLA45 AMG at NAIAS

Mercedes-Benz has been late to the compact SUV party, a thriving segment dominated for over a decade by the Toyota RAV4, Honda CR-V, and more recently in the luxury segment, the BMW X1 and the upcoming Porsche Macan. Being a late-comer isn’t necessarily a bad thing, as long as you make a big entrance. And what an entrance by Mercedes-Benz, with the all new GLA Class, and for the first time being shown to the public here in Detroit, the GLA45 AMG. Much like the Concept GLA45 AMG that premiered in LA, the production version doesn’t lose much from its transformation into a production vehicle.

http://www.beyond.ca/mercedes-benz-a...aia/32079.html
    ---

My Ride
    400whp MR2 - An Italian and a couple of Germans

That's gross looking.
    Looking for a new VW? How about a used vehicle? We are Central Albertas #1 source for pre-owned vehicles
    I will beat any deal on a new VW for beyonders

Gary Moe Volkswagen/Gary Moe Used Car Superstore!

Red Deer, AB

My Ride

that's actually not too bad if you remove the gill-like graphics on the side... not too sure if there is a big market for that kind of car though

My Ride
    335xi 70 c10 84 c10 Indian chief

i really like it

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

This was the surprise car for Mibz and I. I haven't paid much attention to the GLA because SUVs are stupid, but it really is a hatchback. Even the ride height was like a hatch. Think of it as a slightly roomier A45 with 20s.

The legroom and headroom is insane. I'll post a reference pic after dinner.
    Originally posted by SEANBANERJEE
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride
    17 Tacoma trd OR

Originally posted by rage2
    This was the surprise car for Mibz and I. I haven't paid much attention to the GLA because SUVs are stupid, but it really is a hatchback. Even the ride height was like a hatch. Think of it as a slightly roomier A45 with 20s.

The legroom and headroom is insane. I'll post a reference pic after dinner.
    Nice. I was hoping mb would push this towards the car/hatchback end of the spectrum
    Originally posted by ExtraSlow
    Also, if he donkey kicks, you donkey punch!

I wonder if AMG has figured out that Americans don't buy hatchbacks because of the name only so they'll market this as a crossover even though its just a larger hatchback :P
    ---

I like this a lot more than the CLA45, maybe just not done up quite like the picture. Since I wanted the A45 to come to NA, this is the next best thing.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

I think that MB wouldn't have been able to price the A45 competitively, so they grew it slightly so they can charge more money lol.
    I have gone above and beyond what I should rightfully have to do to protect my good name

My Ride

would you say they are the size of the audi q5 or bmw x1 & x3?

Originally posted by rage2
    I think that MB wouldn't have been able to price the A45 competitively, so they grew it slightly so they can charge more money lol.
    You laugh, but it makes sense. And yeah, this thing wasn't even on my radar until I saw it at the show. I never would have called it an SUV or crossover or whatever they actually are calling it. It's a large hatchback to me, for sure, and it looks great.

Originally posted by euro_racer
    would you say they are the size of the audi q5 or bmw x1 & x3?
    I feel like it's definitely smaller than the Q5 and X3. X1, I dunno. I might just be thrown off by its shape though. It could be bigger than I think.

My Ride
    '16 FoRS, '09 UZN215, '90 Z32, '15 Grom

So what does this compete with? The Mini Countryman?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

So it's like RSQ3?

My Ride
    This and that.

Don't mind it, but personally would never get it. Again, I don't like hatchbacks in general.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

So legroom. I'm 6'2" tall, and I test cars out by adjusting the front seat to my most comfortable driving position. Once I do that, I go sit in the back. Here's how much legroom I have in the back after setting up the front:

It's even roomier than my GF's B class. I think they ensured that there was tons of room front and rear, by slightly sacrificing the trunk area. Don't get me wrong, the trunk is still huge, just not as big as the B class.

As for headroom, even with the dual sunroofs, I probably could've fit with a helmet on comfortably. It's literally an A45 put through a 20% enlargement machine.

No offence Kenny, but the way this article is written is confusing people I think. MB is not late to bring a competitor to cars like the X3 and Q5, they've had an entry to compete there for some time, the GLK. This is MB's entry in the CUV class which is still relatively young in North America, the prime competitor being the X1 and Audi Allroad here (because Audi isn't bringing the Q3 here until next year).

If you've seen the size of an X1 you'll be able to understand the size of this car. Its actually more like a lifted wagon really than a hatchback. Personally I love the car but I've read the cargo space is minute compared to the X1 and Q3 which really defeats the "Utility" element of the CUV concept. Really IMO the whole CUV class of cars is North America's wagon equivalent since people hate wagons so much here.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Sorry, I meant to say X1 and not X3. I'll correct the article now.

As for trunk space, the GLA, X1, and Q3 all have identical 420L of trunk capacity. Either I'm on crack, or that's a wild coincidence.

Yes the trunk space with seats up is very similar at 420-460L across the three cars but when you fold down the seats the GLA gets up to ~830L while the X1 and Q3 crush that with ~1350-1360L of cargo capacity. I find I carry a lot of different sized things so I make the most of the 40/20/40 seats, so this one is a real negative for me. On the flip side I think the GLA 45 AMG is the best looking of the bunch and in a league of its own in terms of performance which are huge positives.

My Ride
    Bicycle

SUV has been on my radar even since we had shitting snow season so far and I keep bottoming out with my S4. GLA45 was on my radar but with ground clearance seems not much better than S4. So unless it has air suspension as option like the Macan, it probably will drop off my list.

My Ride
    1 x E Class Benz

Page 1 of 10 1 2 ... LastLast