Quantcast
A thanks to Bert and Jacks for Carbon Blasting my BMW N54 335 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: A thanks to Bert and Jacks for Carbon Blasting my BMW N54 335

My Ride
    E92 335XI

Talking A thanks to Bert and Jacks for Carbon Blasting my BMW N54 335

Hey, so I'm new to the forum.

I just want to give a big thanks to Bert and Jacks for helping solved the problem with my car.

So I had a strange miss fire happening at low RPM, I thought they were commonly at higher RPM. The miss fire wasn't bad at first but quickly got bad enough to shut down cylinder 5. I took car of the Spark plugs and Coils, with no success.

Car details;
    ~54,xxx KM
    335xi
    No modifications by the previous owner from what I can see. I would say it was well taken carer of, and given a good hard drive every now and then without being constantly abused.
    I've only disconnected the exhaust valve, Nothing else.

So, given the relatively low millage it seemed unlikely that Carbon was going to be an issue but it was taken as the next step in solving the miss fire.

I have some before and after pictures to post in a minute, which had a little more carbon than I expected.

My Ride
    E92 335XI

click for larger version
    » Click image for larger version

click for larger version

click for larger version

Last edited by 01RedDX; 10-13-2020 at 12:31 AM.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by 01RedDX

That is a lot of gunk, for some reason BMW engines are notorious for this. Stick to Chevron.
    Fixed

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by GTS4tw

Fixed
    If only we had chevron 94 in Calgary...

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Hallowed_point

If only we had chevron 94 in Calgary...
    Its all I run! There isn't any in Calgary? I am sure there was last time I was there?

I would say Husky is second. At least with Chevron 94 you know what you are getting, at Shell it could be a blend with some Petro-Can/Esso thrown in there.

My Ride
    G37X

Its all I run! There isn't any in Calgary? I am sure there was last time I was there?

I would say Husky is second. At least with Chevron 94 you know what you are getting, at Shell it could be a blend with some Petro-Can/Esso thrown in there.
    If there is, I've never seen it. I always thought Shell 91 is supposed to be the best zero ethanol fuel available here. Although I use the 7-11 91 octane due to convenience and the big bucks..I've never had an issue with performance from it though

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

If there is, I've never seen it. I always thought Shell 91 is supposed to be the best zero ethanol fuel available here. Although I use the 7-11 91 octane due to convenience and the big bucks..I've never had an issue with performance from it though
    I didnt know that shell said that their 91 is zero ethanol, good to know in a pinch! Not so sure I actually believe it though... I know from experience that in supply shortages/bad weather etc that shell gets fuel from other suppliers, they just might not use it in their 91 tanks.

I would say Husky is second. At least with Chevron 94 you know what you are getting,
    There isn't any because 94 octane is not required at Calgary's altitude.

It's a tuner's dream fuel sure, but for the regular average motoring folk it is not needed in most cases.

94 is prevalent down in the Vancouver area because you're at sea level.

My Ride
    G37X

^I know at sea level back on the island I can chirp into third quite easily Dammit..Calgary elevation

My Ride
    G37X

I know there are a few? Petro Canadas that now have 94 octane.

Calgary, Alberta, Canada, North America, Earth, The Milky Way . . .

Yeah, Paulo and his crew are great.

My Ride
    A vehicle or two

Honestly, I would never have thought a car that new would have buildup like that.

My Ride
    E92 335XI

Yea I was expecting some build up but I wasn't expecting that much. Big difference since it was done, although that because it wasn't running well before.

That's actually pretty minor carbon buildup, you should see what the benz bluetecs look like when they start getting to around 100 000km. I'd start getting ready to replace injectors...

Shell, Esso, Petro-Can, and Chevron are the only top-tier fuel retailers in Canada. If carbon buildup is a concern, stick to those four.
    Last edited by 962 kid; 01-14-2014 at 09:56 PM.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

My Ride
    4x4

Paolo (Paul) is awesome! Did some work for me recently - couldn't be happier.

My Ride
    G37X

Originally posted by 962 kid
    Shell, Esso, Petro-Can, and Chevron are the only top-tier fuel retailers in Canada. If carbon buildup is a concern, stick to those four.
    Any idea where 7-11 sources their fuel? Because I've been running the sevy 91 octane for about a year consistently and haven't had any knock, ping or mileage issues. When I installed my Z06 intake, my injectors were also clean as a whistle.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Any idea where 7-11 sources their fuel? Because I've been running the sevy 91 octane for about a year consistently and haven't had any knock, ping or mileage issues. When I installed my Z06 intake, my injectors were also clean as a whistle.
    Most of them buy from each other, at 7/11 you are likely running Esso or Petro Can, but they all run each others fuel.

My Ride
    G37X

Most of them buy from each other, at 7/11 you are likely running Esso or Petro Can, but they all run each others fuel.
    Cool..good to know. I've noticed zero difference between the 7-11 premium and the Shell premium comparing mileage, performance and cleanliness of my injectors/filter.

Not sure where it's sourced from. I heard that all the base petrol itself comes from a common source and that each retailer just has a specific blend of additives. The top-tier rating is not really a concern for your car, but more for direct injection vehicles like OP's bmw.
    HKS T04Z Bridgeport FD3S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast