Quantcast
2015 Subaru WRX STI Officially Breaks Cover - Page 6 - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: 2015 Subaru WRX STI Officially Breaks Cover

My Ride
    AP1

Originally posted by gpomp
    And they'll probably want $5k deposit for a test drive.
    lol I was looking into buying a WRX or WRX STI... till I read the reviews about the two dealerships in Calgary...

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by EF9 Sedan

lol I was looking into buying a WRX or WRX STI... till I read the reviews about the two dealerships in Calgary...
    Never had any problems test driving or buying at Centaur but I've never had a good experience at Calgary Subaru.

I've had terrible service and experiences at all Edmonton & Calgary dealerships. When I was into Subaru's I'd usually buy through the dealership in Red Deer.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Calgary Subaru looks to have cleaned house or had a lot of turnover for the most part as since I bought my STI last November all the financing, some salesmen, and service people are different. That Royal Oak dealership area would be a perfect spot for a 3rd dealership as Centaur is an embarrassment and Calgary Subaru feels like an afterthought in a Jaguar dealership. This city badly needs a new Subaru dealership as I can't fathom how Subaru of Canada can be happy with the current state of dealerships in one of the biggest cities in the country.

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

Originally posted by heavyD
    Calgary Subaru looks to have cleaned house or had a lot of turnover for the most part as since I bought my STI last November all the financing, some salesmen, and service people are different. That Royal Oak dealership area would be a perfect spot for a 3rd dealership as Centaur is an embarrassment and Calgary Subaru feels like an afterthought in a Jaguar dealership. This city badly needs a new Subaru dealership as I can't fathom how Subaru of Canada can be happy with the current state of dealerships in one of the biggest cities in the country.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by 4doorj

You like the Calgary dealerships?

My Ride
    2015 honda crv 2015 subaru sti sport

You like the Calgary dealerships?
    I do not like them at all.
    Their shittiness has stopped me from buying a car from them a few times.
    I bought a wrx once from subaru calgary but thats because they had that one salesman. Since he left I wouldnt want to go back.

Edit jdmXSI was the salesman
    Last edited by 4doorj; 03-03-2014 at 01:07 PM.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

Motor Trend First Test:

The STI does have some excellent dance moves and is probably a tick or two faster on that dream road. But really, there wouldn't be much of an advantage to the STI over the WRX if they were the same price. Factor in the extra money and it's WRX all the way.

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...#ixzz2vlt1tNmQ

My Ride
    2012 300C SRT8 /2015 F150 Platinum

And they'll probably want $5k deposit for a test drive.
    That's insane, Subaru of Lehbridge pulled their only one out of the showroom and gave it to me for the day.
    2014 Jeep SRT, 2015 F150 Platinum , 2013 Keystone Laredo 291TG

[Do][---+---][oD]

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by jonnycat

That's insane, Subaru of Lehbridge pulled their only one out of the showroom and gave it to me for the day.
    They don't roll that way in Calgary. The only way I could convince them in 2009 to let me try an STI was to tell them they were forcing my hand into getting an EVO because Mitsubishi let me test drive GSR's and MR's. Still bought the EVO. It's embarrassing to be a 30 something adult with disposable income and have to beg to test drive a $40k car.
    Last edited by heavyD; 03-17-2014 at 10:14 AM.

My Ride
    957,958,NC1,NC3,E90,ITR

They don't roll that way in Calgary. The only way I could convince them in 2009 to let me try an STI was to tell them they were forcing my hand into getting an EVO because Mitsubishi let me test drive GSR's and MR's. Still bought the EVO. It's embarrassing to be a 30 something adult with disposable income and have to beg to test drive a $40k car.
    How did you test drive your 13 before buying?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

How did you test drive your 13 before buying?
    Didn't really need to as I knew what I was getting into and had driven a 2009. When you over analyze these cars as much as I have you don't really need an over extended test drive to know what you are getting into. I wanted to get rid of my Mustang ASAP and it was EVO GSR or STI and I couldn't get over the Canadian stripper GSR's we get here.

My Ride
    STi

Didn't really need to as I knew what I was getting into and had driven a 2009. When you over analyze these cars as much as I have you don't really need an over extended test drive to know what you are getting into. I wanted to get rid of my Mustang ASAP and it was EVO GSR or STI and I couldn't get over the Canadian stripper GSR's we get here.
    I have a GSR now and have owned a 08 sti and 06 sti in the past and i must say i still prefer the GSR even though the sti seems like a lexus compared to a mitsu

Worst interior ever.

To be honest the main reason why i switched over to a GSR was because owning an STi after warranty means that you have a ticking time bomb for ringland failure. Lets be honest, how many 2008+ STIs have you seen over 120,000 kms on the original engine? Maybe a handful? at best?

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by wtb

I have a GSR now and have owned a 08 sti and 06 sti in the past and i must say i still prefer the GSR even though the sti seems like a lexus compared to a mitsu

Worst interior ever.

To be honest the main reason why i switched over to a GSR was because owning an STi after warranty means that you have a ticking time bomb for ringland failure. Lets be honest, how many 2008+ STIs have you seen over 120,000 kms on the original engine? Maybe a handful? at best?
    Part of 2008+ STI ownership is the engine replacement experience as you said most cars don't make it to 100,000 kms on the original engine. It's the reason why I wouldn't touch this new 2015 STI with a 10 foot pole. Really disappointed they didn't put in a new engine.

My Ride
    GMC Sierra, LX570

I've never owned an STi so maybe a newb question but are the engine failure issues happening on stock boost levels cars or just the ones that have been tuned and modified?

both. A bad tune can of course cause a problem, and a lot of people don't realize that you need a tune even with so much as an aftermarket intake, so I'd chalk those failures up to 'stupid'.

The problem with some of the late 00's and early 10's is that from the factory there's a bit of a dip in the fueling (thanks to emissions/economy regulations) as it transitions into boost. This in turn cracks pistons. A PROPER tune will alleviate that issue. That was more of an issue on the WRX than STi though iirc.
    dv/dt

My Ride
    GT TDi

maybe on jap cars you need to tune every time you replace your filter

germans are not so archaic

is it true tune needs to be elevation specific? if thats true thats hilarious hahahaha
    Last edited by bart; 03-18-2014 at 01:41 PM.
    2002 VW Golf GT TDI
    2016 VW Passat BiTDI

Even Neons didn't need a tune with basic mods like that. Bikes are the only thing I've heard of that requires a tune for a filter. Until now.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Yeah I've heard of simple intakes causing problems on Subarus as well.

My Ride
    Model 3 Performance

Originally posted by SkiBum5.0
    I've never owned an STi so maybe a newb question but are the engine failure issues happening on stock boost levels cars or just the ones that have been tuned and modified?
    The EJ25 is an archaic engine that dates back to the 90's and in trying to make it current emissions compliant Subaru has done some strange fuel system tweaks and tuning. The problem is that there are lean conditions in the stock tune to the point you can actually feel hesitation at around 4000 RPM (if you look at a dyno plot you can see a power dip) which can cause detonation eventually cracking a ring land typically (but not always) in cylinder 4 (hottest because it's closest to the turbo). Because of this many people have had engine failure completely stock.

Lots of people on NASIOC and IWSTI claim that a Cobb OTS Stg. 1 map is safer but plenty of people have ringland failure with tunes as well. Bottom line is that there are fuel system issues with these cars as well as cheap cast pistons which is a bad combination when upping factory boost levels.

Mitsubishi ran into the same emission issues with the 4G63 which was an old design so they retired it in 2006 for a new design so they didn't have to compromise. The 4B11 engine in the EVO X for example comes with Mahle forged pistons and 4-bolt main which all cost more money but yield a stronger engine.
    Last edited by heavyD; 03-18-2014 at 03:22 PM.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 ... LastLast