Quantcast
Honda West - No Haggle Pricing? - Beyond.ca - Car Forums

Thread: Honda West - No Haggle Pricing?

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Default Honda West - No Haggle Pricing?

Does this mean that there is no negotiation on their used car prices?

They have a vehicle I might be interested in, but this no haggle thing kind of turns me off. Anyone actually haggled with these guys lol?

Or is it a take it or leave it kind of deal?

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

Was there once in the used car department, the guy (Probably in his 60's, typical out of shape guy who didn't look happy to be in his job) was pretty adament on the pricing; it also seemed like the guy I saw didn't know what he was talking about.

How it went down:

-I went in looking for the 07 TL I saw online.
    -I had already found it in the lot, when he walks up to me and says that's not the one I was looking for from the online advertisement and pulls me in to check his inventory.
    -It says it's in this lot. So we go back outside. There's 2 TL's total in the lot. The black 07 and a champagne 09. He points at the 09 and says that's the one I was looking for because it had the redesign with the silver grill-piece and the new tail. Anyways, I told him I'm 100% sure he's wrong and he goes back inside while my buddy and I just stood there and laughed at how dumb he was.
    -**Had it been any other make, I would've forgiven this, but it's a frikken rebadged Honda: you should have some knowledge. And the fact that it's not even the same color...
    -He figures out that I'm right and we move onto a test drive.
    -He refuses to sit in the back, because he never does that: seriously? it's a sedan, I didn't ask you and your beer gut to climb into the back of a coupe.
    -My buddy wants to play with the navi while driving up Sarcee. He's focusing on driving and asks the sales guy to turn on the screen. He gives a "I don't know how" and blows my buddy off.
    -I drive back from the Sunterra where we switched drivers. I was already decided that even if I was going to buy the car, it wouldn't be through this guy so the ride back was pretty quiet.
    -We head back to his office and he takes down phone numbers. I actually gave him my real number and showed some interest in buying the car. Never heard from him again.
    -When talking about price, he said there's pretty much no wiggle room when I asked what my likelihood of getting the buy through would be if I was looking to pay exactly the list price without the additional BS fees.
    Last edited by jwslam; 01-15-2014 at 03:24 PM.

My Ride
    Vettel's #1

Thanks man. Sounds like a waste of time then. The price is about $1500 off of what I'd pay, so it doesn't sound like we would get anywhere.
    Vettel's #1

I bought my car there 2 years ago off the used lot. There was lots of room in their "no haggle" price haha. I did not pay an "admin fee" (never will, unless they want to bury it on their end), and they did not pressure me to buy extras. Very pleasant experience overall, and I paid exactly what I wanted to.

Originally posted by CapnCrunch
    Thanks man. Sounds like a waste of time then. The price is about $1500 off of what I'd pay, so it doesn't sound like we would get anywhere.
    yeah, I had similar experience with car for my father-in-law, went pretty well, no issues.

No haggle pricing is for the person who doesn't want to haggle. They go in pay the price and leave.

Remember Toyota's no haggle pricing? Pretty sure it doesn't exist anymore but when it did they still figured out ways to discount.

If you want the car for $1500.00 less then the list amount go in and offer them that. If they say no then leave. It's worth a shot.

My Ride
    BMW X5

As far as I know, it's a new system and is actually no negotiations at all. Doesn't hurt to call and ask to make an offer. If refused, move on.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

I was looking at a jeep for the sister in law before Christmas and the sales guy was very adamant about the "no haggle" sale price. It was a huge turn off for him to keep telling me "the price that's listed is the price it is and there is no room to move on it". I made an offer and he reiterated the policy so I walked out. I don't think they are a place I would personally do business with because of my experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    Silverado

Do you think he was adament with you because he was sick wasting time with people who just ignored the policy even though they were told and proceeded to waste his time?

My Ride
    16' Tacoma Offroad

Anyone else enjoy haggling? It takes the fun out if there's no movement!

Most NE dealerships list high so they can give huge discounts to the heavy haggling market they have.

Originally posted by AE92_TreunoSC
    Anyone else enjoy haggling? It takes the fun out if there's no movement!
    I don't, because this is usually how it goes down:

eg. Car price $45,000

Customer: "I'll pay $41K ALL IN, that is my maximum budget, and the most I am willing to pay for this vehicle."

Salesman: " (laughs) I don't think so, but let me go check with my manager."

Salesman Returns.

Salesman "Best we can do is $44,000, that is a hell of a deal, I really talked my boss down. That is our absolute lowest possible price"

Customer: "41,000 ALL IN"

Salesman: "Let me go check with the sales manager"

Salesman Returns.

Salesman: "I talked him down to $43,000, that is our absolute bottom line, we have to make money too"

Customer: "As I have been saying, $41,000 is my maximum budget"

Salesman: "I don't see how that will be possible, but let me go talk to the sales manager"

Salesman Returns.

Salesman: "I got him down to $42,500 before GST & fees, we're hardly making any money, that is our absolute lowest price possible"

Customer: "Ok, no thank you" (gets up to leave)

Salesman: "Wait, let me go talk to my sales manager"

(Process goes on probably 3-4 more times as the increments get down to the $250-500 range).

Salesman Returns

Salesman: "We will accept your offer of 41,000"

Then, you get the papers, and they still throw their BS admin fee because that "isn't included into the price", and you have to stand up and pretend to leave again for them to remove the 100% money grab.

I've sat through about a dozen negotiations that have gone exactly like that. It's just another reason I prefer to buy privately, where it's usually just 30 sec of negotiating.

It's the most annoying process ever. You're never allowed to talk directly to the sales manager, and 1-2 hours has gone by while you go through 10 layers of BS negotiations. IMO there is nothing fun about it, it's exhausting, and you know exactly what they're doing. It's just a game of who can waste more time to see who breaks down first. Such a waste of time.

Unfortunately that prompts dealers to create "no haggle pricing" which 100% of the time is just the absolute maximum price they would have put on the car anyway, way above market, haggle or no haggle.

Maybe others have had different experiences haha, but nearly every single car I have been present for the purchase of has gone down like that.
    Last edited by Mitsu3000gt; 01-17-2014 at 11:36 AM.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Or you get hounded by the finance manager to purchase nonsense packages for your car.

I got them where I wanted in terms of price and was only there to take my keys and hand over the bank draft for the balance when I had to go see the finance manager. Salesman I was working with told the FM straight up not to try and sell me anything, but out comes the sheet with all the overpriced stuff on it and I have to listen for 20 minutes while he tries to sell me things I'll never need.

I guess they could have been a big upset since it was a used truck and I ditched the used side salesman, called the new side over the weekend and whittled the price down another $1,300.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 09:37 AM.

My Ride
    X5D, Fiesta ST

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I don't, because this is usually how it goes down:

eg. Car price $45,000

Customer: "I'll pay $41K ALL IN, that is my maximum budget, and the most I am willing to pay for this vehicle."

Salesman: " (laughs) I don't think so, but let me go check with my manager."

Salesman Returns.

Salesman "Best we can do is $44,000, that is a hell of a deal, I really talked my boss down. That is our absolute lowest possible price"

Customer: "41,000 ALL IN"

Salesman: "Let me go check with the sales manager"

Salesman Returns.

Salesman: "I talked him down to $43,000, that is our absolute bottom line, we have to make money too"

Customer: "As I have been saying, $41,000 is my maximum budget"

Salesman: "I don't see how that will be possible, but let me go talk to the sales manager"

Salesman Returns.

Salesman: "I got him down to $42,500 before GST & fees, we're hardly making any money, that is our absolute lowest price possible"

Customer: "Ok, no thank you" (gets up to leave)

Salesman: "Wait, let me go talk to my sales manager"

(Process goes on probably 3-4 more times as the increments get down to the $250-500 range).

Salesman Returns

Salesman: "We will accept your offer of 41,000"

Then, you get the papers, and they still throw their BS admin fee because that "isn't included into the price", and you have to stand up and pretend to leave again for them to remove the 100% money grab.

I've sat through about a dozen negotiations that have gone exactly like that. It's just another reason I prefer to buy privately, where it's usually just 30 sec of negotiating.

It's the most annoying process ever. You're never allowed to talk directly to the sales manager, and 1-2 hours has gone by while you go through 10 layers of BS negotiations. IMO there is nothing fun about it, it's exhausting, and you know exactly what they're doing. It's just a game of who can waste more time to see who breaks down first. Such a waste of time.

Unfortunately that prompts dealers to create "no haggle pricing" which 100% of the time is just the absolute maximum price they would have put on the car anyway, way above market, haggle or no haggle.

Maybe others have had different experiences haha, but nearly every single car I have been present for the purchase of has gone down like that.
    This has been my experiences as well in most cases, except my BRZ where I just said "cost plus $500 is what I am willing to pay, take it or leave it" and they took it right away.

I think I spent almost 3 hours negotiating at Calgary BMW when I bought my 135i, and I had to bring up a ton of valid points as to why they had really overpriced the car, but eventyally managed to whittle then down $7k on their asking, I think they probably lost money on that car.

My Ride
    19 Jeep Wrangler, 20 Hyundai Palisade

Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

I usually go right to the managers and negotiate with them. In and out in half hour. Last couple Hondas I bought at Airdrie Honda were awsome experience dealing with their sales manager and even the finance manager recognized I didn't want any extras as they know I keep my cars for 4 months tops

My Ride
    Blue boy

Few years ago, bought an Accord from a Saturn dealer off of Barlow. They wanted $7100 + tax + BS admin fee. Told the salesman I am willing to pay $4700 for it, no inspections - pay cash and drive it away. he didn't believe me and said no deal. I told him to go ask his sales manager, manager said no deal. they kept coming down in increments. When I finally stood up to leave and told him there is $4700 cash in my pocket, take it or leave it. He went over and I overheard him telling his manager this guys got cash and is taking the car right now, he agreed to it.

If there are no negotiations on the pricing, the entire sales department can be replaced with a car vending machine and a 1-800 number to a retired sales manager sitting on a beach in Hawaii.

My Ride
    Ford, Acura

Originally posted by dirtsniffer
    Do you think he was adament with you because he was sick wasting time with people who just ignored the policy even though they were told and proceeded to waste his time?
    Its not a policy its a sales tactic that didn't pan out for him because we took our business elsewhere. Like CanmoreOrLess said, if there wasn't room to negotiate then he wouldn't have a job.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage2 View Post
    ...Last thing I want is someone reading my posts and losing their cock over it...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
    Meh, they all look like Jackie Chan to me
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraSlow View Post
    I'm generally cute.

My Ride
    CLK 55 / 2g Eclipse / EP3

Originally posted by CanmoreOrLess
    If there are no negotiations on the pricing, the entire sales department can be replaced with a car vending machine and a 1-800 number to a retired sales manager sitting on a beach in Hawaii.
    But, but.... then who would tell customers about the vehicles awesome new leather shift knob, or the 257 speaker sound system?

As far as haggling, Im always willing to go out of town for a new vehicle. The prices in SK or MB can be $5-10k less in many cases from oil-rich Calgary ....where everyone is a baller.

I bought a 2008 Accord LX-P sedan at the end of last year. I have bought a number of cars over my years, and the salespersons...-