Quantcast
City hall too white and male, says Nenshi - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: City hall too white and male, says Nenshi

Default City hall too white and male, says Nenshi

Jason Markusoff

City hall’s leadership is too white and male for an organization that aims to be a diverse employer, Mayor Naheed Nenshi said Wednesday.

Speaking at a Calgary Economic Development lecture series on diversity, the city’s first visible minority mayor said city officials have an inclusion plan and diverse workforce, but many women and minorities may be hitting a ceiling.

“We are lousy at promoting a diverse workforce,” Nenshi said.

“When you look at our management levels within the city, (among) my top six managers there are no women now — the one woman retired — there are no people of a visible minority,” he said in his speech.

The lone female general manager (a Caucasian) retired early last year, replaced by a white man from the director level. Among the 34 existing directors, Nenshi told the group he could only think of one minority and a few women.

“We’ve got to do a better job, and we have to look internally at our own organization to determine what are the barriers that are in place toward getting people promoted into these jobs,” he said.

In an interview, Nenshi conceded managers may simply be hiring the best people. He’s asked officials to consider whether there are systemic problems or “inadvertent biases in our promotion policies.”

Nenshi and council aren’t directly responsible for hiring city GMs and directors, but will appoint a new top executive within weeks because city manager Owen Tobert retires Jan. 30.

Two GMs have applied to head Calgary’s bureaucracy, but councillors are also interviewing candidates from outside city hall. The mayor also confirmed the shortlist is ethnically diverse and isn’t male-only.

In his diversity speech, Nenshi also repeated past criticisms of companies who shun immigrants without “Canadian experience,” and a developer group’s commentary article that suggested gay couples and people with tattoos may not fit in suburbia.

© Copyright (c) The Calgary Herald

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

Incompetence is a bigger issue than gender or race.
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

Last edited by Sugarphreak; 07-31-2019 at 09:39 AM.

All big companies have a diversity policy of some sort... don't see why the city shouldn't either.

My Ride
    Sierra, RDX

Originally posted by sabad66
    All big companies have a diversity policy of some sort... don't see why the city shouldn't either.
    I'd say the best "diversity policy" would entail giving the job to the best candidate; if that means you wind up with white males in your senior roles, so be it.

But like SP said, it's not discrimination if you only place a bias against Caucasian males.
    Last edited by FraserB; 01-15-2014 at 10:13 PM.
    See Crank. See Crank Walk. Walk Crank Walk.

My Ride
    Nothing interesting anymore

Originally posted by Sugarphreak
    Seriously though, as long as they are hiring based on credentials and ability to do the job and not discriminating, why does it matter what colour or gender you are?
    Because in order to be an "equal workplace environment", you have to ignore qualifications.

Reverse discrimination is the stupidest thing ever.

I also like how most people at City Hall work a "standard 35 hour week".

My Ride
    Neo-Liberal Anarchist Mobile

By the same logic, cab companies are too brown and male. Why aren't they hiring white females?
    Quote Originally Posted by 89coupe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Beyond, bunch of creme puffs on this board.
    Everything I say is satire.

I'm pretty sure it is.

It also stems from distaste. If you were always beat on as a kid by a local police force, you will tend to always distrust the police force (nevermind who was right or wrong) and almost never be a part of it.

The modern political system is seen by many as thuggish and ugly (as are many politicians like Khadafi, Al-Assad, Berlusconi) Why would I want to be a Rob Anders? Why would any minority or female want to be a Rob Anders when they can be appreciated for bringing important and beautiful things into the world.

Why would I want to be a Galen Weston or a Rob Anders, if I'm not entirely sure that I wouldn't have a majority chance of going to hell for following that path? And no, thats no understatement. Can one be both honored in the "Order of Canada" and also go to hell? I'm pretty sure its possible.

I have seen many (mostly federal) politicians, in Canada as well as others - who simply breed hate as their political platform. The early FLQ (Quebecois) was this way. Very set in their ways, very french, very white, very male.

How many white people see the Canadian system of government as "ugly"? What do the natives think? Actively hate would be my guess. Asians? Tolerate, but dislike. Black people? Just avoid it. Brown people? Try to turn it in your favour.

Why are white males the most qualified to be politicians? Because they can look in the mirror and not see the ugliness that the rest of us tend to see. BTW: I don't understand how Donald Trump can even look at himself? Its a Mayra Rosales type delusion?

Mayor is a Hobbit in Hobbiton. MP is a mindless orc in Saurons army.
    Last edited by ZenOps; 01-16-2014 at 12:07 AM.
    Cocoa $11,000 per tonne.

My Ride
    NC1

Lol wtf nenshi
    Originally posted by rage2
    Shit, there's only 49 users here, I doubt we'll even break 100
    I am user #49

God damn ____'s always keeping us white guys down.

If we weren't such strong, natural leaders I'd be upset by this!

Reverse discrimination always results in having the smartest most capable person for the job!

Another A+ for Nenshi on this one. Now he can hire all his aunts, uncles and cousins to diversify

The mayor is basically pointing out an obvious sentiment within the City.

It's not just tied to the city management. Go ahead and look at any major oil and gas company.

Generally, it's a white male in a lot of the major roles. There are many reasons for this and there is no big conspiracy to make it this way.

This notion that we focus on diversity and all of a sudden anybody can get hired is a nice knee jerk reaction.

Working your way up to these jobs is no easy feat. It's a deliberate and focused career goals that get them there.

And let's all be naive and say that everyone in these top jobs whether private or public who isn't elected get these jobs because they are the most competent and not because they played a good game (good at company politics, good connections within the company and basic level of competency).

I think it's great he is bringing this out. What the next steps would be are complex but at least the discussion is starting.

^ last time I checked company politics are part of the game.

Males - work their whole lives, usually sacrificing family time to move ahead in their career.

Woman - usually take mat leave and stall their careers. Usually take more sick days compared to men. Have a period once a month where they become a B in the office.

The argument of race should not come into the conversation at all so not even touching that one.

Cause more women is the answer. hahaha. riiiiiiiiiighhhhhht.

My Ride
    Volvo S60 & Jeep GC

Originally posted by Type_S1
    ^ last time I checked company politics are part of the game.

Males - work their whole lives, usually sacrificing family time to move ahead in their career.

Woman - usually take mat leave and stall their careers. Usually take more sick days compared to men. Have a period once a month where they become a B in the office.

The argument of race should not come into the conversation at all so not even touching that one.
    Too much logic in this post, it'll never convince a woman.

My Ride
    is pretty sharp lookin'

My Asian household has taught me that middle management should be a personal ceiling because it's the best balance of power to income. Any higher I will get myself into shit I don't need and won't be compensated accordingly.

Is that just at my house?

My Ride
    The SHBARUS

So just hire some coloured female whenever they take group pictures, problem solved.

My Ride
    Silverado

If Nenshi keeps this shit up we wont have a female visible minority for a mayor either.

I was only half joking with my natural leader comment.

Centuries of white men being leaders is bred into us. And more often then not, when something goes wrong a white guy will be the first to stand up and take charge of the situation (Not to say there aren't a lot of weaker white guys too - they can't all be leaders of course). But this also means a white guy is typically one to abuse that power in the hopes of gaining more power and wealth.

But add to the fact we're in a historically white country and that's why you often find older white men running things.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 ... LastLast