Quantcast
Payphone booth locations - Beyond.ca - Car Forums
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Payphone booth locations

Default Payphone booth locations

Don't know if others might want to participate, but mention of payphones in another thread got me a thinking that there just isn't that many payphone booths around in Calgary anymore.

I'm not talking about wall mounted payphones like one might find outside of a 7-Eleven but actual payphone booths although finding a payphone booth with actual doors might prove to be even more difficult.

So here's one that I know still exists on the NE corner of 16th Avenue and Centre Street - don't think it has doors though. Google Maps link.

edit: Payphone booth count in Calgary now stands at 7 working and 1 unknown status per this thread, none with doors as best as I can tell.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by speedog; 02-20-2014 at 01:10 AM.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    Skateboard

Default Re: Payphone booth locations

Originally posted by speedog
    Don't know if others might want to participate, but mention of payphones in another thread got me a thinking that there just isn't that many payphone booths around in Calgary anymore.

I'm not talking about wall mounted payphones like one might find outside of a 7-Eleven but actual payphone booths although finding a payphone booth with actual doors might prove to be even more difficult.

So here's one that I know still exists on the NE corner of 16th Avenue and Centre Street - don't think it has doors though. Google Maps link.
    17th Avenue and 14 Street SW Google Maps

Interesting that these first two are within 2 blocks of a TELUS central office - the one I listed is under 2 blocks form the Crescent Heights exchange and G's is right out front of the Mount Royal exchange. There must be more that are a bit more remote - of course most people probably don't know where TELUS' local exchanges are within Calgary and certainly, I don't remember where some of the newer exchanges are either.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    E92, ZX6R, MK4 GLI

78th ave Centre Street Bus loop is the first one that comes to mind

Google Maps

My Ride
    Ford

there are a couple in the ghetto where i live in edmonton. Only see the sketchiest of characters in them.
    Street Tune
    446HP 536TQ W/6# Lower, 3.5 upper 16* and 16psi

As a side note, I can remember years ago (20+?) when TELUS had an actual dedicated payphone crew in Calgary whose job was to service/install/remove payphones - don't believe such a crew exists anymore and in fact, that work has probably been contracted out. One thing I remember from the days when I worked on one of the test boards back in my AGT days is that payphones were a constant source of troubles.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

This one has been here since I've been in JH across the street, we used to stand in there waiting for the bus dialing stuff like 1-800-938-7877 (some of you might remember that one) or other ...#s from the yellow pages.

My Ride
    2013 Ford Escape

There used to be one on 14th St and 13th or 14th Ave SW just up from the Husky. I used to see crackheads in there all the time. Does anyone know if it's still there?

Edit: NM, street view shows me it's gone
    Last edited by Myrrinda; 01-22-2014 at 03:08 PM.

It should be noted that some of the ones detailed above could be gone depending on how recent Google's Streetview imagery is - let's just say that if it's appears on Google Streetview, then there's a very good chance that that payphone booth is still there.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    S14|TB1

Originally posted by speedog
    It should be noted that some of the ones detailed above could be gone depending on how recent Google's Streetview imagery is - let's just say that if it's appears on Google Streetview, then there's a very good chance that that payphone booth is still there.
    The bottom left of the streetview viewing portion, says 'Image Date' :

Originally posted by n1zm0
    The bottom left of the streetview viewing portion, says 'Image Date' :
    Yupp, I know but it's the best we have and will be the basis for this thread - as good as we can get short of travelling to a site and I'm just not into that.

Who knows, there might be a grade 4 kid (or an adult) out there that doesn't have a cell phone that might have to use a regular phone - next problem would probably be finding change and for some kids/people, actually using the thing. In our house, we have an actual working converted dial party-line phone downstairs plus a pink Princess touchtone phone upstairs and yeah, some people probably aren't sure how to use them.

Young kids that have only used cell phones and especially smart phones may not be able to figure out a pay phone - for real.
    Will fuck off, again.

My Ride
    G

I remember you could dial a number and then the number on the payphone and you press the hang up button quickly to "flash" it and the dial tone was higher and when you hung it up it would ring like someone was calling.

Saw a red phone booth on memorial and 10th in kensington the other day while driving by, don't know if it's an actual pay phone though

Originally posted by JC522
    I remember you could dial a number and then the number on the payphone and you press the hang up button quickly to "flash" it and the dial tone was higher and when you hung it up it would ring like someone was calling.

Saw a red phone booth on memorial and 10th in kensington the other day while driving by, don't know if it's an actual pay phone though
    This one (link) - it certainly appears to have a payphone in it especially when viewed from Memorial Drive.

Does anyone know if it's a working unit?
    Last edited by speedog; 01-22-2014 at 09:26 PM.
    Will fuck off, again.

Another for sure working one on the SE corner of 14th Street NW and Kensington Road - link, a block or so west of the TELUS Hillhurst exchange.
    Will fuck off, again.

There was one at the Canyon Meadows c-train station... but it was always broken and I don't know if it's still there.

Edit: I guess it wasn't technically a booth. Just a payphone.

plz
    Last edited by A|pine; 06-15-2022 at 12:28 AM.

Drove by this TELUS payphone booth today - probably have driven by this one hundreds of times over the past few decades and didn't ever notice it.

North side of 40th Ave NW between Centre and 1st Street - right near Donovan's Restaurant and Pub (rumoured to have really good pizza, haven't tried yet).

Google maps link

My Ride
    Subaru WRX

Got one on the corner of 7th St and 12 Ave SW, used to walk by this one all the time.

Google Streetview
    Last edited by diamondedge; 02-20-2014 at 01:03 AM.

My Ride
    2015 Hyundai Veloster

I'm surprised nobody mentioned the one in front of Ship And Anchor, thousands of people walk right by it every day, it's right on the sidewalk.
    Originally posted by Go4Long
    or else what? you'll turn on the caps lock?
    you do realize this is the internet right? lol
    Originally posted by rob the knob
    mar, you are good guy at heart
    you must realize your limitations
    then you will be happy if you fine place in live
    Originally posted by blitz
    Jesus man, I know you like Transformers, but you need to get out more. No one should get this upset over a movie based on children's toys.

Originally posted by Mar
    I'm surprised nobody mentioned the one in front of Ship And Anchor, thousands of people walk right by it every day, it's right on the sidewalk.
    You mean this one in front of the National? Google Streetview link.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast